Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the viking saddle bags for my 2013 Boardwalk. Just wondering if anyone has installed a set of these yet? Any input would be appreciated in making a decision. I just don't see myself paying all that $ for a set of Victory bags. Unless a fellow forum member has a set for sale? For a reasonable price.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've had a set of Viking bags on my 'zuk for almost 20k miles. They're not leather- just vinyl covered plastic. But their brackets are solid and the bags have held up. The bike is stored outdoors and covered for inclement weather (which isn't very often). Most surprisingly they show almost no fading despite 8 months of Mojave desert sunlight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the response King4wd, i was beginning to think no one ever purchased these bags. i read a few reveiws and the only negative i saw was the size of the bags. people say the large bags are like a med. what size did u have?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I put a set on last Christmas. They hold up great. Good looking. I need to take some fresh pics of the bike with them on. I just wish they were bigger.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have them on my Vegas 8 Ball. Work great other than the right side touches the belt cover when moderate to hard bumps are hit. Caused a hole to rub in the bag. I had to "stitch" it up with zip ties :(

Plus I noticed that with the quick release brackets, the bottom of the bags tend to sag a little in toward the bike. Not enough to touch anything but I wouldn't recommend them again.

With how much they cost, I would have rather bought Victory branded bags. If I could go back and do that, I would.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to know! Another option i was considering was a swing arm bag. I know it wont have as much capacity to mhold as much stuff but i am also considering it . anybody care to chime in on this question...... The look of the swing arm bag is pretty cool. depending on the mounting style. ive seen some pretty low to the floor. and some home made bags posted on here. i am kind of looking toward the angle bag.

·
Registered
90 Posts
PS - dont get me wrong, the bags themselves are awesome functionality wise, I just think they hang a little too low and dont follow the lines of the rear fender (at least on my Vegas) compared to the Victory bags.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I put a set of Viking bags on my Kingpin, they seemed OK. I ended up only keeping the bike about another 3 months after putting them on. I upgraded to the Vision. In the short time I had them I was reasonably happy with them. The locks were crap, and the fact that each bag needed it's own key was probably the only thing I could complain about. You can see them below.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They do look good Term, question? did you have the large bags? if you can recall. and was it the throw over or the fixed brackets?

·
Registered
539 Posts
They were the Large as I recall. I originally thought I might use the throw over but I could not get that to work. I could not see how I was going to get them to sit on there and not rub. So I ended up buying easybrackets. I had to add some spacers to get those to work. I think that was because I had the Mustang seat which is apparently wider than the OEM seat.

·
Registered
251 Posts
They may have improved the locks because they are pretty nice on my bags and I have one key for both bags, not a separate key for each.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The bags I got are large, in fact Viking refers to them as "motorcycle luggage" instead of saddlebags. They are NOT quick release. Each bag will hold 2 standard 1-gallon jugs of milk and have quite a bit of room left over for cookies. I can also fit one of the 5-quart tubs of ice cream in each bag (can you tell I have kids?).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanx fellas for all the useful 411. Its helping me in making a decesion on what saddlebags or swing arm bag to purchase. I am not going to need alot of storage but better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Check out US saddlebags. That's what I want to buy. They look great and the quick release brackets are top notch and tight to the bike.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Curious as to what bags you ended up going with. I just purchased a 2014 boardwalk and have been mulling over 100's of different bag choices as i dont like the Victory ones.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am looking at buying some viking bags for my vegas 8 ball. I wish I could see some option of what other ppl have put on

·
Registered
92 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts