Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Jackpot premium. I bought the bike with a salvage title. I have repaired it and taken it to the state of Minnesota for inspection, in order to license it again.
However, the bike failed the inspection because there is a letter R at the end of the vin and the first digit of the engine number, which appears to me should be a zero "0", looks like a @ symbol.
Does anyone know why there is an "R" at the end of the VIN number? Has anyone else had a messed up zero that looks like a @ symbol at the beginning of the engine number?
Polaris customer service doesn't seem to have a clue. I'm going to try Victory specific customer service tomorrow.
I think the engine number engraver was having a bad day on the zero issue.
The only thing I can think of for the R, is that the R indicates the red colored frame to match the rest of the bike. This is just my guess.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Does the R line up with the letters in the rest of the VIN? If it's a little off kilter or is a different font or stamp depth it could have been added as an indicator that the bike was sold as rebuildable.
With a salvage stamped title it may be the case because in the past you could buy a salvage vehicle in a state that allows salvage titles then re - register it in a state that doesn't recognize salvage title. Doing this people could change the title of their vehicle from a salvage title to a clean title.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The R is the exact same size, spacing, font as the Vin number. The R is also on the Federal regulations label/sticker. There is no indication that the R was added later.

·
12,970 Posts
what are the numbers what id frame number and the motor number.
There should be 17 numbers.

Vehicle Identification Number
The vehicle identification number (VIN) is stamped into the front of the steering head and also appears on the
certification label. You will need the vehicle identification number to title, register, license or insure the motorcycle,
or to order replacement parts.

A = VEGAS EIGHT BALL
B = NESS JACKPOT
C = KINGPIN
D = NESS SIGNATURE SERIES KINGPIN
E = NESS SIGNATURE SERIES VEGAS
G = VEGAS
H = HAMMER
T = TOURING
X = VEGAS JACKPOT
Engine Size:
1 = 1507 cc
2 = 1634 cc
Engine HP:
6 = 78-94
Series:
C = Canada
D = Domestic (49 State)
L = California
U = United Kingdom
Check Digit Model Year:
7 = 2007
Plant Code
*5VPHB26D073000000

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Sounds (to me) like the bike was ALREADY a previously rebuilt bike and the prior owner got the R = Reconditioned vehicle title that showed that it was repaired and a re-titled salvage bike. The R is there to let any subsequent buyers KNOW that they would be buying a bike/car that has been rebuilt. I believe that this is done to prevent people from trying to pawn them off as a significantly more expensive non-salvaged equivalent. As a general rule, ANY and ALL salvage titled vehicles are only worth about 50% of what the equivalent non-salvage vehicle would be going for in an open market so you can see the logic

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080107193712AALbKzV
http://www.carsdirect.com/used-car-buying/why-buy-a-car-with-a-salvage-title
http://www.foxbusiness.com/2011/06/03/5-reasons-to-avoid-salvage-title-cars/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I work in the collision repair industry and have rebuilt a many salvage cars for myself. Up here in Minnesota, the title gets stamped either SALVAGE or PRIOR SALVAGE in big red letters across the front of the title, but no one has ever altered any vin numbers on my previous repairables. I have spoken to numerous insurance adjustors and the have never heard of anyone adding a digit to the vin. The Victory dealers up here are not aware of it either. Must be a southern thing. It's just so strange that no one who should know what the R means, has any idea about it. Plus, the R doesn't appear to have been added later. Somebody must have done a really good job at making it look so nice, like it was always there.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Minnesota DMV wants an signed letter on official Polaris letterhead explaining why there is an 18th digit on the VIN, and why there is a strange symbol as the first digit of the motor number.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I encountered this on BMW M3... It was an error from the factory and I had to track down the original seller of the vehicle (Dealership). The dealership had the original paperwork on the car and was more than happy to give it to me in order for me to register car.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I work in the collision repair industry and have rebuilt a many salvage cars for myself. Up here in Minnesota, the title gets stamped either SALVAGE or PRIOR SALVAGE in big red letters across the front of the title, but no one has ever altered any vin numbers on my previous repairables. I have spoken to numerous insurance adjustors and the have never heard of anyone adding a digit to the vin. The Victory dealers up here are not aware of it either. Must be a southern thing. It's just so strange that no one who should know what the R means, has any idea about it. Plus, the R doesn't appear to have been added later. Somebody must have done a really good job at making it look so nice, like it was always there.
Sorry my initial post looked like FACT. I appear to have been wrong. I checked with my dad (who has done some classic restoration) and he said that they do not change the VIN plate itself. We know that there are multiple VIN stamps on cars so perhaps there are multiple VIN stamps on Bikes as well and you may be able to cross reference it with a second stamp elsewhere on the bike?

PS - I DID hear of BMW paying a LOT of $$$'s ($125K) for an "odd VIN" from an owner who bought it 2nd hand

·
Registered
545 Posts
Here's what I found out...

1. This bike has 14 reported incidents... registrations, accidents... it's been around.

2. Some state or country in it's past history required that the VIN# and engine number be branded with an "R" for rebuilt... the engine # if you look real close should start with what looks like an "R"... I couldn't come up with the state or country, but when you bought this bike you should have received a title that shows the past few registrations and it should have had a VIN# reflecting the "R" additions.

3. If the title that you received when you bought the bike does not reflect the "R", you can demand that whoever sold it to you produce one that does. This demand can go all the way back to the person who listed the "R" the very first time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe I have an ultra rare bike that Victory will want back?! of course for a nice finder's fee $$$ :) Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I bought my bike up in PA, when I went to register it in VA, I found out that the title (original title) was missing a letter in the vin. :confused: I wrote down the full vin, but the dmv made me get another title with the full vin before they would let me switch it over

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Here's what I found out...

1. This bike has 14 reported incidents... registrations, accidents... it's been around.

2. Some state or country in it's past history required that the VIN# and engine number be branded with an "R" for rebuilt... the engine # if you look real close should start with what looks like an "R"... I couldn't come up with the state or country, but when you bought this bike you should have received a title that shows the past few registrations and it should have had a VIN# reflecting the "R" additions.

3. If the title that you received when you bought the bike does not reflect the "R", you can demand that whoever sold it to you produce one that does. This demand can go all the way back to the person who listed the "R" the very first time.
Howard - Good to hear that your research validated my original understanding and that the OP can now rest assured that what he has is a rebuilt/salvaged bike that can NEVER be re-branded as a "cleaned" title. IMHO that is THE BEST thing that can EVER be done to protect the general public. Labeling "bad AS bad" should be done on most of those titles and one that has been rebuilt FOURTEEN times should (probably) be best laid to rest IMHO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts