Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This really is a must see. Excellent footage from a time when there wasn't much high movie quality footage around about this. Czech out where it's from too! Filmed in Daytona but used elsewhere to promote Indian motorcycles at the time.

https://youtu.be/qp-9w7f7c60

Some thoughts came to mind while watching this. First; it took a heck of a lot of lumber to build such a huge and wide track. Florida isn’t exactly known for its forests so this was imported from somewhere to the North most likely.

Did you notice all the dust being kicked up by the bikes? Not in the same pattern you would see on a dusty road but maybe a combination of dust from on top of the lumber and also from below it by the flexing action of the wood as the bikes go over it.
How are these boards secured? Nails would quickly work themselves out from all the flexing so what did they use? Tree sap and flour? I honestly have no idea what kind of tech was available back then. Did they ever come loose and fly up in the face of another rider? The fact they even built them at all, considering the expense, is a huge testament to the racing spirit world wide. Those involved were truly lucky back then and now.

Indian was a really badass bike back then which begs the question; why did they fail in the 50’s? Bad management or was it something else? There are probably some great books explaining this but if someone happens to know the straight up truth of it; I hope they share it here.

·
Premium Member
8,790 Posts
Thanks BBob, jusy watched it, amazing! Almost 100 years ago and pulling 120mph, Testimony to the mighty Indian.

·
13,003 Posts
years back at a dinner a Board racer talked how he and others would load their bikes on a train and go from race to race. He told how they would pull wood splinters out of each other and with needle and thread sew each other up. Arms legs and yes he said plent to drink and girls along the way.
It was one of the best hours I spent listening to a stranger that I wanted be like.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Super cool I watched it on my phone and then on the computer ... Thanks for posting this ...

TaPaTaLk for VIC forum

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
I can't imagine doing those speeds on the lousy tires of those days. There had to have been a lot of go-downs due to tire failures. My dad was a traveling salesman and I can recall that he was doing good to get 5,000 miles out of a tire back in the 40s and 50s.

·
Registered
361 Posts
That's not dust being kicked up-it's the exhaust and oil mist from the total loss motors of the day. The board tracks were notorious for this oil saturating the lumber and adding yet another danger to an already scary deal.

·
Premium Member
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Someone on the Cyril Huze site explained that as well. Crazy!

Those guys had some nads of steel for sure!

I'm surprised no one picked up or commented on my little play on words about where it's from. Czech it out.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
I'm surprised no one picked up or commented on my little play on words about where it's from. Czech it out.
Yeah, I got it--all over me. :grin

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Ricz, Was that you I see on the finish line as a young lad / buck eating a popsicle ???

TaPaTaLk for VIC forum

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Ricz, Was that you I see on the finish line as a young lad / buck eating a popsicle ???
Dangnabit, you outed me BP. :wink

·
Premium Member
8,790 Posts
just watched it again with Black Sabbath in another window overlaid on the soundtrack.
and yeah I'm sure I saw Ricz in there too!

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
RICZ is famous forever ... Not only on this Victory Forum but now on a cool Czech film ....

TaPaTaLk for VIC forum

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
I'm ready for my close-up CB.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts