Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there some magic to controlling the negative air pressure behind the fairing? I feel a lot of air pushing me in the back while riding.
The pressure improves if I turn in the side air wings in under the mirrors, But it still feels strong. Would a windshield vent help? Does anyone make a windshield vent for a Vision? Thanks. I moved up to a 2014 Vision from a 07 Kingpin, BIG difference.

·
13,003 Posts
sounds like you have no trunk.
If you don't have the windshield all the way up yes you get wind on your back.
No holes or vents will change the air on your back

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, I have the trunk on. Just wondered about the other Touring bikes like Goldwings and the New HD`s, With windshield vents. What are the vents for? I can`t imagine the vents will cool you off when riding in hot weather. Companies make windshields with vents in them. I would like to see a wind tunnel test of the Vision. Thanks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yup, I have the trunk on. Just wondered about the other Touring bikes like Goldwings and the New HD`s, With windshield vents. What are the vents for? I can`t imagine the vents will cool you off when riding in hot weather. Companies make windshields with vents in them. I would like to see a wind tunnel test of the Vision. Thanks.
The vent will not change the back pressure. I had a GW and it didn't matter if the vent was open or closed. Running with the windshield a little lower helps. You eventually get used to it and don't notice it anymore.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Unless you're riding in a hospital gown, I find it easier to block wind from the back side anyway cause there's no zippers, faceshields, or other openings save the helmet/ jacket neckline.
I've experimented with the wind wings and windshield height and find that up all the way and out all the way is the best cold weather protection.
I haven't taken the trunk off yet but was wondering whether it made a difference with the back draft. Would imagine I'd feel it even more.
Less though if my wife is back there blocking it. :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've rode lots of different bikes in cross winds and in my first ride on my Vision coming back from Hastings MN I was riding is some pretty strong cross winds. I was impressed with the Vision I thought it would be a lot worse than it was. The bike was very stable but my helmet and head were not. I think the Vision did better than my Goldwings. I wish I had my Full face helmet with me on that ride. Lucky for me I did have a 3/4 helmet with a face shield, it was my new helmet to replace the damaged one from crash. I went up to Werner Cycle in Omaha NE Thur. the 6th and had Lower Air Deflectors installed. Rode back on HYW 50. 66 and 6 to Lincoln to keep speed down so didn't blow them off. cheers

·
13,003 Posts
any thing with a windshield will give you back air. Best thing you can do is get a taller windshield to get the air higher and over you.
I had a harley FXRT and there were a lot of complaints about the air on riders and passengers back. So harley came out with a 19" windshield that pointed just about straight up. It did help for cross country travel but look funny as all can be.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
My experience has shown that it is the angle of the shield that can make a huge difference. As you will notice the angle of the vision shield becomes more vertical as you move it higher. Trying a higher screen so that you do not have to move it up as much could help.

·
Registered
608 Posts
The Vision I test rode this summer had a 3/4 shield on it. I had it all the way up on the highway and there was no air pushing me forward.
Also on my XCT there is no air pushing me forward and I have the big OEM shield and a 1/2 shield.

The last Goldwing I rode did push me forward..

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was riding is some pretty strong cross winds. I was impressed with the Vision I thought it would be a lot worse than it was. The bike was very stable but my helmet and head were not.
Highly agree with the above. The Vision is rock solid. I had the same experience in Montana with wind gusts up to 60mph and in Glacier National park gusts up to 80mph. Punched my 3/4 helmet(with shield) to the right covering my left eye a couple of times that day.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
15" flip and no complaints but I put it on shortly after buying it

·
Registered
381 Posts
The back pressure issue is a direct result of some kind of vortex being created when the trunk is installed. I only run my trunk in winter to carry extra gear & secure my full face helmet. The minute I installed it noticed the vortex. I am thinking of installing an oversize windshield from Cee Baileys.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Gonna have to Look for it

I haven't noticed any back pressure but it may just be me. I do know with the windscreen down I get a bunch of air and enjoy it at slow speeds. Just the same I'll see what I have when spring gets here... :crzy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts