Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've long wanted to buy an "American" bike, but having many friends with Harley's I simply can't trust them as a daily ride. I had assumed Victory was in the same mold. After reading a little more on the Vision just recently, it seems like my assumption was wrong.

My commute is 53 miles one way. So, I'm covering over a hundred miles a day not counting detours or stops. I ride in the rain and down to 30 degrees or so.

Anyone else riding a Vision in a similar manner? Right now I'm riding an ST1100 and it does very well for my needs. How is your Vision doing? How do all those electronics on the "tank" hold up after repeated exposure to inclimate weather?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I ride a XR, based on the CORE technology like the Vision. It is, however, more exposed since I don't have a fairing. I can tell you that my XR is ridden in similar conditions (about 100 miles a day, ridden in rain, down to freezing) handles flawlessly. I've owned it for 16 months and has 21k miles on it. If you want a dependable bike, Victory will fill your needs.

Best of luck in your decision.

Ride safe.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
You will get much less wet and stay tons warmer on a Vision than your current ride. I haven't heard of anyone having issues with the electronics due to weather. I love my vision and ride it all the time!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Commuter

I have ridden many miles in the rain on the Vision and the only electronic issue I have had is the cruise control kicks off after a while of running in the rain. I am not sure it isn't a planned control from Victory to force a little common sense into riding in the rain. Other than that I have never had any issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses.

From videos I have watched, people were mentioning usable range as being 200-225 miles or there abouts. That seem right?

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Fuel Tank Range

On the open road I get about 280-300 but with stop and go (just a few) it's around 250 per tank. That being said, I didn't get that till I changed the exhaust and the motor got broke in.

You WILL love the Vision. No question about it...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use my to get back and forth to work on "nice" days. I drive 32 miles one way and it is mostly highway with some stop and go.

Love my VV. I took my trunk off after the first week. Oh, after 3 years only oil changes and new tires at 14k.

Bill

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I ride just like you do. 90 miles round trip. All highway at 75-80. My lowest temp to date is 23 degrees. The one accessory I won't do without is the lower deflectors. Up until this week it's been mostly cooler/cold riding for me and those buggers let me ride at 35 degrees with just jeans and an insulated coat. This week however I've been exposed to almost 90 degrees for the first time on the bike. Turn those thing in and I get lot of air. I was concerned of heat and the awesome wind protection the bike offers but no more.

I get between 200-250 between fill ups. Fuel light comes on and you got one more gallon.
The bike is the most comfortable I've ever ridden. I've hade 3 wings and a VTX 1800. Except for the pure power of the VTX the Vision bets them all hands down, without a doubt.

Oil changes literally take 10 minutes. Vic has done it right with this bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am contemplating buying an XCT right now. The Vision is still on the table, but I am leaning toward the XCT for its storage. I think the Vision makes a great commuter for a number of reasons. You can't always pick your weather, so with its heated seats and grips and very good weather protection it will shield you from the elements better than most. ABS is a MUST for a commuter in my mind and the ABS system on Victory bikes is as well sorted as any in the industry from what my research shows. Full dress tourers are also a much larger target to draw the attention of cell phone entranced motorists. You are much less likely to go unnoticed. The only drawback is a low seat height. You can't see over traffic. I commuted on a Honda XRL650 for a few years, and it was great for the visibility the 36 inch seat height afforded. It was narrow and nimble too. There are obviously trade offs, but I think dressers in general make the best dedicated commuters.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
60 miles round trip daily almost all highway, year round except possible icing conditions down to 24 this winter with NO chaps and only my leather jacket with insulator. Longest trip at 26 degrees for 3 hours 210 miles no stop again no chaps, just jacket and gloves. It was friggin cool I will admit and didnt pull over to put the chaps on because I expected it to get to mid 30s about an hour into the trip but it fooled me. Still, no way I would have made it on the XCT or my TC with lowers.

Take a couple extended rides on both if your still are considering two differnt style bikes. Getting beyond the "VV has better wind protection" you are talking about a fixed fairing ride 100 miles a day VS your fork mounted fairing which is is going to pass those wind vibrations and movements from crosswinds, rough/bumpy weather into your bars and up your arms. Take a look at how the gas tank on the VV is set which is what gives you that great center of balance. Tanks split and down low vs on top of the frame which makes sense moving that 32 pounds of fuel lower on the bike. Make no mistake IMO the handling over a top mounted tank is unbelieveable. The bikes response to crosswinds is great and I have ridden some squirrly stuff with VERY impressive handling.

Next, adjustable windscreen which is no big deel right? Thats what I thought too. After just upgrading to a flip AND also have the option to raise and lower... Wow... Great protection, enjoyment and flexability. The seat IMO is one of the most comfortable seats STOCK I have sat in. Just finished helping on a Demo day and was glad to get back in my seat.
Trunk/bags btwn XCT and VV. Hands down the XCT has more but after a slight adjustment to my storage plan, I have plenty of room on trips as well as my gear I haul daily back and forth to work.

I have not had ANY issues with water intrusion on the electronics. If you do get it, there are some simple things you can pull and pack with dieletric grease to fend off intrusion. May make a post of that. The envelope for wind also does great for rain. I have actually made it to work in the rain with no rain gear (started shortly after leaving the house) getting slightly wet.

No point in commenting on maintenance as your not going to go wrong on either bike.

I like the looks of alot of bikes but for what your orginal post asks "Daily Commuter" I don't see how you can beat the Vision. Your assement of bike height is correct, it does sit lower because you get IN a Vision becoming part of it and get ON anything else.. hehehe I am 5'9" and have no issues as far as seeing ahead on traffic but I can understand your reservation. Just like the mirrors many complain about, once you get accustom to the bike I think you will find it is not as big a problem. Differnt yes, but not compromising safety. If you have specific questions between the two, post them here and let the VV riders answer them for you and the XCT boys can chime in to.

Last plug, how many Visions you seen today? Thats right, we choose to step away from the crowd.. hehehe The few, the proud, the Visionaires!

Tim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts