Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You get to see it here. I just got the tire mounted last night. I put about 10 miles on it then decided I need to video this thing.

GoPro Hero3 with the waterproof housing. I stuck a mount to the underside of the rear of the bike and used extensions to get it down to a good position. Ah hell, here's a picture:

The mounts and extensions aren't very rigid hanging there but it got the job done.

The video was taken near my home. I took a round-a-bout twice, got up to 90, made a u-turn in the road, and did S Turns toward the end. The S-Turns were so aggressive you should be able to hear me scrape on both directions.

Hope you enjoy.

Oh, I pretty much ruined the case and lens cover. The rocks that tire threw up at it did it's worse. Oh well. Anything for you guys.

The HD Version

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Oh, I pretty much ruined the case and lens cover. The rocks that tire threw up at it did it's worse. Oh well. Anything for you guys.
wac :clap:

·
Super Moderator
4,970 Posts
What a cool video!! Thanks for posting!!!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Now I don't have to make a video of mine. Good job mike, thanks for the sacrifice of the case.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've always wondered how those cameras don't get damaged when people do those kinds of videos with pebbles pelting the cameras. Now I know...they do.

The video I'd like to see would be how well a car tire disperses rain when cornering. Probably have to coat the lens in Rain-X or some such thing. Anyway, the groves in a standard MC tire typically run at a near perpendicular angle to the rotation of the tire. Presumably, they are there to channel the water to inside and/or outside of the contact patch. There are very tiny channels on the edge of a car tire, more along the angle of rotation and they certainly weren't designed with the intention of dispersing water while operating at or near the sidewall. Be interesting to see how the two types of tires compare at such a thing.

You are absolutely right... NOT! You are extremely limited in your knowledge of tire design of both motorcycle tires and car tires. I have attached a picture of the Hancook tire that Mike is running and an E3 that is standard on the Vision. As one can see from the picture of the Hancook there are directional treads cut in both the center and the edges for the dispersement of water and added traction (and this tire is actually one of the lesser aggressive tread patterns for "darksiders"... or as I like to refer to them, the tire "enlightened"). The picture of the E3 certainly does not have treads anywhere near perpendicular to the rotation of the tire.

If you don't want to ride "enlightened" that's definitely your choice, but please try not to disseminate inaccurate "data" to justify your stance. There was a day within certainly my lifetime and probably yours that all heavy cruisers had "CT's" on them... because the tire industry hadn't as yet realized the tremendous profits to be had by selling specially designed and built motorcycle tires.

Hey Mike... get show. I went with the 185 size as well and don't pull a trailer... I even went with the lesser aggressive designed Kuhmo Ecsta PA31... much quieter and a little smoother.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
You are absolutely right... NOT!
Yeah, I looked at Rollin's tire and did notice the perpendicular grooves, hence I withdrew my comment. I'd still like to see how they compare in the rain.

If you don't want to ride "enlightened" that's definitely your choice,
Thank you.

but please try not to disseminate inaccurate "data" to justify your stance.
1. The only stance I have is the Buffalo Stance. Somebody gimme a beat.

2. I didn't disseminate anything. I just couldn't detect the pattern in the spinny tire video.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be honest, it didn't occur to me to put the camera up front somewhere. As I think that over, I'm not real sure where it would go. Now I'm intrigued.

·
13,003 Posts
Mike
that video was good and it just might of saved your trailer. Seeing how much rocks the tire was kicking up you might want a mud flap to protect the paint job on the trailer

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My trailer front, to include the fenders are completely protected by a vinyl black bra. I'd still like to get a mudflap back there too but I haven't found one when I quickly looked. Know of any quality ones that are quick on/off?

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
There was a day within certainly my lifetime and probably yours that all heavy cruisers had "CT's" on them... because the tire industry hadn't as yet realized the tremendous profits to be had by selling specially designed and built motorcycle tires
So we should simply ignore all the advances in motorcycle tire technology and go back to the tires of the 1950s because of your little conspiracy theory?

Look, if car tires work for your purposes on your motorcycle, that's great, but save the bullshit for the darkside mutual titty-patter sites where you guys can stroke each other's egos about how you are so much smarter and know so much more about tires than all the guys at Dunlop, Pirelli, Bridgestone, Avon, Michellin, Metzeler, etc, etc... in addition to all the engineers who design motorcycles. Then you can all sing the blues about how you're being screwed over by the entire collective of motorcycle and tire manufacturers who spend their days inventing new ways to get the money out of your wallet.

Edited because I just realized I didn't say **** several times (I meant to).

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
So we should simply ignore all the advances in motorcycle tire technology and go back to the tires of the 1950s because of your little conspiracy theory?
To say nothing of advancement in chassis design that allows properly designed tires to propel us down the road safely at far greater speeds then back in the day.

Look, if car tires work for your purposes on your motorcycle, that's great, but save the bullshit for the darkside mutual titty-patter sites where you guys can stroke each other's egos about how you are so much smarter and know so much more about tires than all the guys at Dunlop, Pirelli, Bridgestone, Avon, Michellin, Metzeler, etc, etc... in addition to all the engineers who design motorcycles. Then you can all sing the blues about how you're being screwed over by the entire collective of motorcycle and tire manufacturers who spend their days inventing new ways to get the money out of your wallet.
I don't necessarily disagree with him. He lives in flat straight Florida. For someone who lives in such a climate and spends their time on warm, dry, straight roads, any loss of handling is easily obscured by tire life. I can't blame them a bit.

For those who appreciate more versatile motorcycles, paying more and being less hip goes with the territory.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
I don't necessarily disagree with him. He lives in flat straight Florida. For someone who lives in such a climate and spends their time on warm, dry, straight roads, any loss of handling is easily obscured by tire life. I can't blame them a bit.
Which part of "if car tires work for your purposes on your motorcycle, that's great" did you have trouble understanding?

Oh ****... I just realized I have chosen not to "ride enlightened"...
BwwwaaaaaaaHaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Which part of "if car tires work for your purposes on your motorcycle, that's great" did you have trouble understanding?

Oh ****... I just realized I have chosen not to "ride enlightened"...
BwwwaaaaaaaHaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
I believe the correct term is "tire enlightened" and I must confess my guilt.

I try not to spend time in cars unless there's too much Polar Vortex to allow water to remain a liquid. Still, I did feel pretty dopey for not recognizing that many car tires do indeed have grooves relatively perpendicular to their rotation. :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Yeah, well last night NavyCraig sent me a text ... long story short Doyle, Craig, and I rode 180-ish miles today in the GLORIOUS 60 degree weather.

We ended up at the nearest Indian dealer where a friend of Craig's test rode a Chieftain and bought one. First time I had seen one in person. It really is a beautiful engine, but the bike itself is pretty compact.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Yeah, well last night NavyCraig sent me a text ... long story short Doyle, Craig, and I rode 180-ish miles today in the GLORIOUS 60 degree weather.

We ended up at the nearest Indian dealer where a friend of Craig's test rode a Chieftain and bought one. First time I had seen one in person. It really is a beautiful engine, but the bike itself is pretty compact.
Yeah, it was nice riding weather here yesterday too. The day before was rather windy. People in cars were scared for me, but the bike takes it all in stride. My head got batted around pretty good though.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts