Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have hit the forum before but it needs to stay out there as an issue until Victory does something about it. It happened to me today and it is infuriating to think that my wife or daughter could have been riding with me and it became a bigger issue than it did, I was lucky - it happened as I came to a stop in my neighborhood, the back of the front fender broke off and got wedged in the front fender resulting in my steering locking to the right. It took everything I could do from dumping this beast.

Fix the damn problem Victory before it kills someone!!!!! I reported it on the NHTSA Site as well. If it happened to you - report it please!!!

This is off my 2011 Vision with 24.5K miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
Email those pix to Ma Vic and your dealer if you haven't already. That's definitely a safety issue, it appears.

·
13,003 Posts
I did see where one guy with a 08 went to face book and on Victory's page complained and the are now replacing his.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Email those pix to Ma Vic and your dealer if you haven't already. That's definitely a safety issue, it appears.
Already did...it's all over various forums, facebook pages, and directly to Victory. They are replacing the OEM fender under warranty with another piece of crap plastic part. This is not the solution. The need to recall and offer a one-piece metal fender IMO.

Here is their response to me (and many others):

I was just contacted by Consumer Services at Victory informing me that they will not be recalling the front fender on the Visions. They said their engineers have reviewed the cases submitted and have concluded there is no problem with the fenders and the cracks are considered cosmetic and normal wear and tear. The person went on to say that Motorcycles are mechanical and like anything mechanical, you should be vigilent about pre-ride inspections to ensure the machine is suitable for riding. So, Vision Riders - be sure to check your fenders or reinforce them like others have suggested. Victory will not be offering an alternative part for this issue because they do not consider it a manufacturing defect or problem.

I am not an engineer, but to expect that people should be checking their front fenders for crack failure seems extreme to me.

I am not surprised by this decision in any way shape or form. I hope that by raising this issue, it may prevent injury or death due to the front fender cracking

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Normal wear & tear? For a fender? Seriously?
I wonder if "replace fender" is listed in the maintenance tables of the Vision owner's manual...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
This is life and death to the OP but to Polaris it's easy math.
The cost of a recall versus the cost to replace at will with a contingency for a wrongful death civil suit or two or whatever their legal team sets the bar at. Until the predetermined number of fatalities, no soup for you.

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
"...be sure to check your fenders of reinforce them like others have suggested." If that was a quote from someone at Ma Vic, I would both save it and print it out for future reference if a suit is indeed in order. By saying that, Victory is admitting a designed in weakness of the Vision fenders. You and/or others might want to line up one of those attorneys that advertise on phone book covers and wee hour TV.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WitchDoctor to the rescue

I have been talking with Jon about working together on a one piece solution. He is moving forward and my Vision will be the prototype....here Is WD post on another site:

FROM WITCHDOCTOR:
I have been following along about the Vision front fender problem started by Spiderman. Over the past few weeks I have received quite a few emails and phone calls about coming up with something. Customers have told me what they want and we are listening. Last night Spiderman contacted us and said he will be bringing his bike in to figure something out. Development of a new fender is now paramount on our list of new products. Spidermans dedication to solving this safety issue so no one gets hurt is second to none.

We will do our best to have something ready to go late Sept.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Wow, MA vic won't do anything about this. I don't have a vision, but they just blew this off. Yeah think this going to be my last vic. They don't really give a crap.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
So far I really don't think that Victory understands just what they are dealing with. Minor problems lend themselves to the simplistic approach that a thing is cosmetic and not a warranty issue. On the other hand a safety issue does not fall into that category. When my wife decides that my death due to a manufacturing defect is Polaris' responsibility and files suit to that effect, it will cost Victory more than fixing each and every Vision whether they file suit or not.
If the lawyers were actually earning their pay, they would tell Victory to quit trying to avoid responsibility and offer to fix any issues that may arise. That would not only put them in a better legal position but would reduce the number of frivolous claims that they need to deal with. I am not a lawyer but that is how I see it. Meanwhile, as a Vision owner, count me in on any class action suit even though I have yet to experience the failures. After all, who knows when the failures will happen?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I think it is caused by the plastic becoming brittle. Reinforcing it I doubt will help. I think it will just break at the next stress point. Vic could have a PR bonanza by doing the right thing and replacing all Vision fenders upon request with a 1 piece painted to match your bike. Lot cheaper than one wrongful death lawsuit

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I think it is caused by the plastic becoming brittle. Reinforcing it I doubt will help. I think it will just break at the next stress point. Vic could have a PR bonanza by doing the right thing and replacing all Vision fenders upon request with a 1 piece painted to match your bike. Lot cheaper than one wrongful death lawsuit
So what do they do for all of you while they create this new fender, tell you to lock it up until further notice?

And what if you don't like the new fender as well as the old one and jump up and down and stomp your feet, what should they do then?

Seems like doing anything besides ruggedizing what's there somehow would be a can of worms.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
With respect to Spider-Man and the fact this happened, I am not trying to downplay it at all but..... How does anyone actually know what caused it? Has any of the malfunctioned fenders had any type of testing? Were loose screws a contributer and were they ever check as we discussed on another forum? There has been talk for some time about the screws on the front fenders coming loose. Did that mean go back to the dealership and demand new screws, did a rider count on loctite being applied by Johnny the mech and he missed it.

Sorry, I'm all for standing our ground if something paid for does not meet the expected life limit it was designed for as well as rectifying a safety concern that this can become if it detaches but how about more facts. Has any vision rider found loose screws on a 2011 and up on the front fender. This would be facts we can put together to make a stand. How many vision riders here have inspected and found and cracks? Was loctite evident? I have a metal fender on my TC, is it safer? You should hear that thing rattle sometimes.

As I said, hats off if that's the route Spidy wants to take it and he has that right but to dismiss a brand on a shortfall? Lol. Seriously? Go ahead. Good luck on your next ride.

So, will continue follow the issue and I won't be selling my Vic's (either of them). I will point out a few things my fellow. vision rideRs could think about and provide some useful feedback on.
At 15k I'm pulling my front fender while I'm swapping my front tire out. I will be checking the torque of the 2rear bolts to see if the continue to be set at 48inch lbs as well as any play in those cheap ass finger darts as well as looking for cracks at the single bolt on each side. Will also verify the front bolts torque and I will be putting blue loctite on all going back in as well as coming up with something besides those push pins for the top of the fender. Willtill was working on a reinforcement for the to rear bolts so will see what he has there.

I'm with SB on this point too. Do I really want to have a redesigned metal fender on my ride? How do I know it will hold up? Anything put on the road will have to have testing and I'm not waiting for that. Proactive preventative maintenance is my plan for now and the future.

Safe ridin all, thanks for the safety note Spidy.

Tim

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To be Fair

Just so everyone knows...To be fair - Victory did cover my OEM plastic fender AND the trim around the fairing that got jacked up as a result of the failed fender. Bair's was great - Tom Yarger submitted my case and he suggested putting the trim in for warranty repair as well. Tom is one of the best Vic Techs out there IMO. My local dealer had done all the things that I would hope for and I have no issues with Bair's whatsoever.

I am working with WitchDoctor because I do not want the same thing to happen to the OEM plastic fender that was replaced. I want a more permanent fix. Which is what I think Victory should be offering the Vision pilots.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With respect to Spider-Man and the fact this happened, I am not trying to downplay it at all but..... How does anyone actually know what caused it? Has any of the malfunctioned fenders had any type of testing? Were loose screws a contributer and were they ever check as we discussed on another forum? There has been talk for some time about the screws on the front fenders coming loose. Did that mean go back to the dealership and demand new screws, did a rider count on loctite being applied by Johnny the mech and he missed it.

Sorry, I'm all for standing our ground if something paid for does not meet the expected life limit it was designed for as well as rectifying a safety concern that this can become if it detaches but how about more facts. Has any vision rider found loose screws on a 2011 and up on the front fender. This would be facts we can put together to make a stand. How many vision riders here have inspected and found and cracks? Was loctite evident? I have a metal fender on my TC, is it safer? You should hear that thing rattle sometimes.

As I said, hats off if that's the route Spidy wants to take it and he has that right but to dismiss a brand on a shortfall? Lol. Seriously? Go ahead. Good luck on your next ride.

So, will continue follow the issue and I won't be selling my Vic's (either of them). I will point out a few things my fellow. vision rideRs could think about and provide some useful feedback on.
At 15k I'm pulling my front fender while I'm swapping my front tire out. I will be checking the torque of the 2rear bolts to see if the continue to be set at 48inch lbs as well as any play in those cheap ass finger darts as well as looking for cracks at the single bolt on each side. Will also verify the front bolts torque and I will be putting blue loctite on all going back in as well as coming up with something besides those push pins for the top of the fender. Willtill was working on a reinforcement for the to rear bolts so will see what he has there.

I'm with SB on this point too. Do I really want to have a redesigned metal fender on my ride? How do I know it will hold up? Anything put on the road will have to have testing and I'm not waiting for that. Proactive preventative maintenance is my plan for now and the future.

Safe ridin all, thanks for the safety note Spidy.

Tim
Tim...I am pretty anal about maintenance on my bikes - I have the Vision and a Conquest Customs Victory. My dealer does all the maintenance and I do pre-ride inspections all the time. At no time did I notice any cracks in the fender before it failed, jammed into my fairing and locked up my steering. I removed the piece of crap after it broke and my screws were tightened fine...the fact that this has happened to many Vision pilots and different years is proof enough to me that it is a design flaw.

I am no engineer and I don't know if steel is the answer either...there could be rust issues. Perhaps aluminum or a well crafted fiberglass fender with reinforced areas where it bolts to the forks is the answer. I don't know,. I do know that I will be working with WitchDoctor on a BETTER version of this fender. My bike will be in his garage tomorrow and I will leave it there until we come up with a safe and affordable replacement to the plastic junk that is on the bike now.

Mine is a 2011 with 25K miles. I have been riding Victory motorcycles for 4 years now. I have met and talked with many good people that ride the Vision. The cracked fender is a chronic problem (it even happened to my brother on his 2008) and Victory has refused to address it with a re-engineered part - that is a damn shame.

After posting on the many forums and facebook pages, it has brought much needed attention to this issue. Many riders have posted that they have gone out inspected their fenders after reading about it and found cracks. That was my main reason for posting about it. The pipe dream was getting Victory to do something about it. Yes, they are replacing the fenders in some cases under warranty. OK - that's good, BUT, that is not the answer.

You have no idea the feeling you get when you suddenly lose control of a 900 pound beast of a bike....I would not wish that on my worst enemy.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
And that's good to hear when so many dealers are NOT pulling their weight. I'm really curious about the two finger darts that are installed at the joint of the front and rear sections. Have you seen any indication of them being loose? Myself, I'm not crazy about the way they secure in there. Did your dealer have anything to say about it?

Also, FYI thanks for bringing it to light.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
And that's good to hear when so many dealers are NOT pulling their weight. I'm really curious about the two finger darts that are installed at the joint of the front and rear sections. Have you seen any indication of them being loose? Myself, I'm not crazy about the way they secure in there. Did your dealer have anything to say about it?

Also, FYI thanks for bringing it to light.
No Tim - those were very secure and remained intact. However, Tom Yarger (Tech) at Bair's had an idea to drill two additional holes toward the center of the fender where it meets the front fender and install two additional "finger darts"...I call them plastic rivits. His theory is if the cracks occur again, the additional plastic rivits will keep the fender from dropping down and jamming into the fairing. SO, I told him to go ahead and do it. I don't think I want to test his theory after I experienced it once already. That is why I want to push for a better engineered part. The last thing we should be worrying about on these "top of the line" touring bikes is a failed fender.

By the way, my good friend Matt Cook, removed the plastic rivits and replaced them with nut/bolt solution. Maybe a good idea....I think corrosion could be a concern so if you do this keep that in mind and get galvanized stuff.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
That is one of the things I was thinking. 4 to spread the wealth. I've never been impressed with plastic connectors like that and was a little shocked to see them used there. I'm going with stainless hardware to. 15k was my mile marker as my front will make it just past that and I do fork at the 15k too so I will be checking the torques and inspecting then reinforcing.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is one of the things I was thinking. 4 to spread the wealth. I've never been impressed with plastic connectors like that and was a little shocked to see them used there. I'm going with stainless hardware to. 15k was my mile marker as my front will make it just past that and I do fork at the 15k too so I will be checking the torques and inspecting then reinforcing.
Great idea and thanks for your service - I noticed you are NAVY. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Well thanks for the appreciation. Many on here retired and many more still defending. I will pass that thanks on to them! Will take pics and post feedback when I get into the inspection phase. Thanks again for bringing this to light. Tim

1 - 20 of 76 Posts