Premium Member
458 Posts
Dam I hope he lived!

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
WoW! :(

I hope that the rider is okay.

That said, I fail to see how you can come up on an item big enough to do that kind of damage and not see it in time to react. Riding too close to a vehicle in front of him, not paying attention, ? I have no idea. A moving object; deer, etc. I can understand better, but something laying IN the road and you don't see it?

·
Registered
640 Posts
From what Ive read he has to go get some spine therapy.No feeling in hands or feet I believe.FB info.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
that is Darrel Wrays bike from bigd custom hitches, he cannot walk or use his hands/arms as of now, hes going in for spinal therapy to hopefully help him walk again

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
His Facebook post says he hit the scrap metal which broke his oil pan.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
that is Darrel Wrays bike from bigd custom hitches, he cannot walk or use his hands/arms as of now, hes going in for spinal therapy to hopefully help him walk again
Let's hope for a speedy recovery. thumb up

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
What a wreck , be careful out there fella's.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Don't know anything about what that fella hit but I knows this much. It doesn't take but a little thing or a split second and that's all she wrote.

All the gear and all the skills offer some edge but it's the whole knife that cuts.

Don't underestimate the possibilities or overestimate your ability to control them.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
I have often told non riders that motorcyclists need to be much more aware than car drivers. One of the examples I give is, a car can run over something and the driver looks in the rear view mirror and says; Oh, that was a 2X4. The motorcyclist has to look ahead and spot that 2X4 and go around it. Its that split second, like Pop said.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have often told non riders that motorcyclists need to be much more aware than car drivers. One of the examples I give is, a car can run over something and the driver looks in the rear view mirror and says; Oh, that was a 2X4. The motorcyclist has to look ahead and spot that 2X4 and go around it. Its that split second, like Pop said.
that's why i ride slow and look cool while doing it. I have to stay pretty for all my bitches, can't go wad my bike up on some errant piece of scrap in the street.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That's awful. Don't know the guy but hope he heals up.
I hit a coyote at night once. I was on the highway and he ran out of the woods. Never even saw it. My brother, he was big into hunting at the time, identified it by the melted flesh and fur on my front brake caliper. Luckily when the bike went into a nasty head shake I was able to pop up the front wheel and settle it down. Lost both side fairings and trashed the steering head bearing. Ducati parts aren't cheap but it could have been a lot worse.
Even when you keep your eyes open **** can happen but your odds are better if you pay attention to EVERYTHING around you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Judging by the first photo, it appears he may have hit that car in the process.

One thing I sometimes find myself doing more in slower traffic is not giving myself enough distance from the car in front of me. Dont read that wrong, I am more than enough back to stop with the car ahead but if that car straddles an object you have less reaction time.

If a car locks its breaks down, that car will slow but still move forward until stopped. If it straddles an obstacle, that obstacle is immediately at a standstill and moving toward you at your speed of travel.

While driving in my truck, I have potentially saved a biker twice from a possible accident. Once recently I was driving down the highway and found a large section of truck tire recap in the road. I can run right over it in my truck but the biker behind had no chance so I slowed down and turned on my flashers. The biker was obviously irritated and went around me and thats when he realized what I did once the recap became visible to him. He slowed down and gave me a thumbs up as a thank you.

Moral of my story, dont follow the car at the distance safe to stop, follow far enough back where you can stop from an obstacle in the road.

·
Registered
169 Posts
While driving in my truck, I have potentially saved a biker twice from a possible accident. Once recently I was driving down the highway and found a large section of truck tire recap in the road. I can run right over it in my truck but the biker behind had no chance so I slowed down and turned on my flashers. The biker was obviously irritated and went around me and thats when he realized what I did once the recap became visible to him. He slowed down and gave me a thumbs up as a thank you.

Moral of my story, dont follow the car at the distance safe to stop, follow far enough back where you can stop from an obstacle in the road.
nice work, phil.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I slowed down and turned on my flashers. The biker was obviously irritated and went around me and thats when he realized what I did once the recap became visible to him. He slowed down and gave me a thumbs up as a thank you.
That was a very nice thing you did for that biker .... Only a real biker in a cage would have given that a second thought . Kudos Brother .cheers

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I don't know this person but like everyone here I do wish him a healthy and speedy recovery .

When we started riding back in 07 I read plenty of post over on the Goldwing forums where either the oil filter or coolant tank was punctured by some sort of road debris. The oil filter is in the front of the engine right behind the front tire and the coolant tank flush with the rear of the engine back by the center stand. Th fix for this issue was to buy a belly pan , not a real thick piece of metal but just something to deflect anything that might get kicked up by the tires or any other type of debris . When I sold my bike I had several dings and dents in this belly pan , along with a few rub marks from bottoming out on speed bumps so I do believe it did its job and at any rate it gave me a bit of piece of mind to know I was doing something to protect the bottom side.

Fast forward to 2012 when we bought our XCT while visiting the dealer I bought my bike from I had asked them about some sort of pan / skid plate for the Victory. the Owner and salesman said funny you mention that as they where waiting on a engine case for a fella that hit something on the road that poked a hole in the corner of his engine case , back then the only thing he knew of was the skid plate for the Vision and did not think it would fit my bike.

Once home I started my search for something that might work, HDM had it. While being a tad over kill at 1/4 thick steel plate weighing around 16 lbs I bought it anyways . This thing is tough and can be a pain to install and is always something to deal with when removing the floorboards but it works great at protecting the bottom of the engine. I'm not saying this could have prevented the accident the gentleman had and not knowing the whole story of what happen ,but if it was due to some sort of puncture to cause oil to leak out this plate could have prevented it.

Most guys buy these skid plate to protect their engines bottom side when they lower their bikes, mines not lowered but is protected.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Whouw ..... Sorry to hear a fellow rider has spinal damage .... Hope he will be ok in the future ..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts