Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part of my commute is in bumper to bumper traffic. I am considering buying a XC or Vision and I just saw a review where the guy said it was "a load at walking speed". I do a lot of that now with my 700# Honda 1300C VTX and really it is just stopping and starting etc.... So, I am not sure what the guy might have meant. Can any of you comment on how the vision handles at super slow speeds? Does it get drifty and out of balance?? Trouble stopping straight?

Would the XC be better if as I do, have a commute of combined hi-way and stop and go driving?

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
545 Posts
The vision IS a load at slow speeds and stopping. Stop and go traffic can wear you out. The bike has a tendency to wander and is top heavy... the few times that I have been in stop and go traffic with mine, I was wishing I was back riding my HD Fatboy.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yesterday I was riding up I 80 to Park City Utah. There was a wreck at the summit (around 5-6 miles) of stop and go. Temps were around 90*. I would have to stop the bike and wait for 1 - 2 minutes, and then proceed for 50 to 60 feet. It took over one hour to make that 5 miles. It was a pain in the butt, but the XC handled it great. No over heat problems at all. My only concern was the clutch getting hot with all of the stops and starts at a 8% grade, but no problem at all. I did pass two Harleys that had to pull off the road and sit due to overheating problems. While waiting by one of them, I asked if there was anything I could do to assist. The guy just kind of shrugged his smolders and said that there was nothing I could do. :) I just keep on liking this Victory more and more. Oh, and the bike didn't feel overly heavy or hard to handle it is very friendly in that situation.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe with my driving conditions the XC might be better. I do like the larger bags for moderate trips.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Test ride both, especially in the parking lot. That way, you'll know you've made the right decision that fits your butt, riding style, etc. Either way, you're getting a great bike, but don't let us tell you that - find out on the test ride. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Test ride both, last summer I was ready to trade in my VTX for a Vision and rode both in a mix of heavy traffic and highway. The Vision was great on the highway but alittle bulky in traffic, I just liked the XC more.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheeze, I plan on testing both after what you all have said for sure. I too am moving from a VTX. I love my VTX but I would like things like a 6 speed and self cancelling turn signals. Also I like the looks of the Vic's.

I do appreciate everyones input!

Bill

·
Registered
54 Posts
I found that after some practice that I realy do not have any problem in stop and go traffic. Maybe thats because I have to do it everyday In rush hour

·
Registered
85 Posts
it not always doable, but I have more than once taken my bike through the grass/shoulder to pass these sorts of obstacles. But also lots of times where that isn't safe too. (legal is a different matter :p)

My honda would get squirmy in the grass (Shadow) my Hammer doesn't seem to notice.

Once before I've had to pull over though for over heating issues during high traffic. My buddies electra glide. :ltr: From then on out though, bringing up that story has been the quickest way to stop his teasing.

Anyway, the only problem I have with my hammer in traffic is the clutch wears out my hand after a while. My honda clutch was a lot easier to pull.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I wound up buying the 2008 Vision. Now, after a couple days of stop and go traffic (YUK) I can say that this Vision handles GREAT and I am doing just fine with it. My crawl speed handling is great, I guess the wide bars and bike balance make that happen. Anyhow, I got used to the weight fast. Now I think this is the best MC I have ever ridden from slow traffic to twisties to expressway.... It is all good.

Bill

·
Registered
545 Posts
The vision IS a load at slow speeds and stopping. Stop and go traffic can wear you out. The bike has a tendency to wander and is top heavy... the few times that I have been in stop and go traffic with mine, I was wishing I was back riding my HD Fatboy.
My Vision no longer is a load or a problem at low speeds... turns out that the front tire had a broken belt that finally separated and was making slow speeds nearly impossible to keep from wandering.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My Vision no longer is a load or a problem at low speeds... turns out that the front tire had a broken belt that finally separated and was making slow speeds nearly impossible to keep from wandering.
Damn, you have had some bad luck with your Vic. I have an 08 Street Premium that has never had a problem with at all (knock on wood).
Good thing you got your tire fixed before it fell apart on you at speed!
I am due for tires as we speak, but not having the money, I ride my Shovel which is a great runner but I miss my Vision. I will go with the stock Dunlops.
The Vision handles great at any speed IMHO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I wound up buying the 2008 Vision. Now, after a couple days of stop and go traffic (YUK) I can say that this Vision handles GREAT and I am doing just fine with it. My crawl speed handling is great, I guess the wide bars and bike balance make that happen. Anyhow, I got used to the weight fast. Now I think this is the best MC I have ever ridden from slow traffic to twisties to expressway.... It is all good.

Bill
Congratulations on your new ride!!!

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Cheeze, I plan on testing both after what you all have said for sure. I too am moving from a VTX. I love my VTX but I would like things like a 6 speed and self cancelling turn signals. Also I like the looks of the Vic's. Bill
Welcome to the Clan!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Damn, you have had some bad luck with your Vic. I have an 08 Street Premium that has never had a problem with at all (knock on wood).
Good thing you got your tire fixed before it fell apart on you at speed!
I am due for tires as we speak, but not having the money, I ride my Shovel which is a great runner but I miss my Vision. I will go with the stock Dunlops.
The Vision handles great at any speed IMHO.
And you know what... I expect and can appreciate the fact that some bikes have no problems and some bikes have more than their share of problems. My complaints and ongoing criticism is not about the bike... IT IS ABOUT THE LACK OF CUSTOMER SUPPORT THAT I RECEIVED WHILE I WAS TOURING ON MY NEW TOURING BIKE. The tire was replaced free of charge by Dunlop after Victory turned down my claim when I was 2000 miles from home and said that the wear indication was"normal" for that tire. I had to make the call directly to Dunlop myself and after I described the set of circumstances and how the tire was behaving, they agreed with no argument at all to replace the tire... to top it off, Victory still refused to do anything under warranty and I ended up having to pay $100 out of pocket for mounting and balancing. While mounting the tire, the dealer broke the rear front fender mount and didn't tell me about it... I was another 200 or so miles down the road before I stopped for fuel and noticed that it was broken... Victories response... "take it back to the dealer who broke it"... right! I wonder if any of these people have ever been touring on one of their touring bikes. Then while I was coming over the Smokie Mountains my rear brake quit working... Victories response... "take it in to the dealer where you bought it"... OK, only 1200 miles away. Local dealer in Atlanta agreed to "look" at it and decided that the problem was that the rear brakes needed bleeding... Great! What caused them to need bleeding????? They didn't know, but the brakes worked for about 200 miles before fading out again... so I took it to a dealer near where I lived and they refused to look at it because I didn't buy it there... Victories response... you guessed it... "take it to the dealer where you bought it". Only 500 miles away because I bought it while I was touring around Florida... and just spur of the moment traded bikes. I actually decided to put the bike up on my rack and take a serious look at the rear brake system... any idiot knows that if air is getting into the system every 200 miles that there is a leak in the system... it took this idiot about half an hour to an hour to find the air leak... the pressure switch was leaking. Called all the dealers within a 200 mile range... remember that I could bleed out the brakes and make it about 200 miles so I didn't want to go any further... not one of them had a rear brake pressure switch in stock... and a couple of them asked me first thing if I had bought the bike from them and when I said "no", they said that they wouldn't work on the bike anyway. I found a rear brake pressure switch on the internet at Surdyke Victory in Festus, MO (GREAT COMPANY AND GREAT PERSONELL)... and shipped FOB my front porch it was less $$$ than the local dealers were quoting me to begin with... it arrived 2 days later... was a quick and easy install and the brakes work perfectly. Victories response to my complaint... zilch... nada... nothing.

I have fixed the broken fender... at my expense, but it is done right. I have a front tire that is working the way it is designed to work... thank you Dunlop... shame on you Polaris/Victory. My rear brakes work great!!! I have added a set of D & D Slip-ons and they sound great... You see, THE BIKE IS A GREAT MACHINE... the companies...Polaris/Victory... leave a lot to be desired.

·
13,247 Posts
Part of my commute is in bumper to bumper traffic. I am considering buying a XC or Vision and I just saw a review where the guy said it was "a load at walking speed". I do a lot of that now with my 700# Honda 1300C VTX and really it is just stopping and starting etc.... So, I am not sure what the guy might have meant. Can any of you comment on how the vision handles at super slow speeds? Does it get drifty and out of balance?? Trouble stopping straight?

Would the XC be better if as I do, have a commute of combined hi-way and stop and go driving?

Thanks,
Bill
You can't compare your light weight bikes to a 800 pound bike.
Yes at times its a pain in the ass but for the most part you'll do just fine and have a great ride. thumb up

·
Registered
790 Posts
I think you can remove the rear bag/backrest to help reduce the top heavyness. Also you can lower the Vison which helps. You get a lot of bike for great prices right now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rite on! Had "tip-over" problems with my BMW K1200LT. Tried the Vision and bought it on site! Stable although bigger than BMW and inches longer. Lots of stop-n-go here in Seattle with absolutely no problems. Haven't gone on the dirt and don't plan to....Now - if it will stop raining....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update, Like I posted after I had the Vision for a while (pg1), I got used to the weight fast. Now I think this is the best MC I have ever ridden from slow traffic to twisties to expressway.... It is all good.

When I think back about other motorcycles I have had, the handing on the Vision is way better. No comparison actually. I feel like I am riding an elite bike. I never knew a MC could ride/handle so well. I mean they all seem pretty good at some point but the Vision really is balanced far better.

Just me, as in most things it is an individual fit thing. That is why others might not like the same MC as we/I do.

Bill

1 - 20 of 22 Posts