Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
It looks to me like a nice scenic route. I may feel compelled to ride it just for that reason. I completely enjoy scenic rides, including the Pig Trail, which I have ridden with no real challenges.
Why do so many people insist that it is a challenging ride and come home with those "I survived the tail of the dragon" maps and memorabilia? Is that just an advertising ploy? The video looks like a very enjoyable scenic ride instead.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
It looks to me like a nice scenic route. I may feel compelled to ride it just for that reason. I completely enjoy scenic rides, including the Pig Trail, which I have ridden with no real challenges.
It is not scenic at all. The vast majority of it consists of a mountain on one side and the woods on the other.

I've ridden a fair share of our rock and those 13 miles or so are still the most condensed level of technical riding, devoid of driveways, cross roads etc. that I've found, but scenic it ain't.

What makes it even better is that it's so twisty that you can really have fun with it without riding it at a break neck pace.

Why do so many people insist that it is a challenging ride and come home with those "I survived the tail of the dragon" maps and memorabilia? Is that just an advertising ploy? The video looks like a very enjoyable scenic ride instead.
I've prolly ridden it over a hundred times over the years. I bought one of the store's hats once because I liked it. Never bought a one of the "I survived" shirts, but I have one now. I took my father in law down there one year and he bought one. He died and I inherited the shirt.

It's a destination for riders and somebody is capitalizing on it. No different than the Harley guys picking up a tee shirt at the Harley boutique on the beach I reckon.

Anyway, to the OP, nice vid.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The tail is grat. It's a destination, it's accessible and it is bucket list stuff. But...
there's the Tail and then there's this.

Pop is not a California kind of guy but this here is the one reason I can understand living there. Just watching that vid gets me all gooey.
Google maps- Fort Hunter Liggett then zoom out to the coast and zoom back in on the squiggly road between the two. That there, that's a road with a view and an attitude.

There's little 2' x 2' squares painted on the tar with numbers in them. Those are the markers for the over the edgers. If your loved one highsided you get the number from the sheriff and that's how you find where they slipped the bonds. Ambulances aren't staged for rescue like the Dragon. No point. They helo the bodies out but the cages and bikes are still down there. Little rotting specks that nobody deals with.
Take an inside line and deal with the sand and gravel coming off the cliff walls, stay outside and play chicken with anybody coming the other way on a just barely two laner with no shoulders, just air. But the views. Man.

Yep, that tears it. I'm going back.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
The tail is grat. It's a destination, it's accessible and it is bucket list stuff. But...
there's the Tail and then there's this.
For scenic riding, there is no beating the western part of our country. As far as California goes, I'll take the northern part. The roads around Fort Bragg as spectacular, the living is easy, and over in Mendocino they appreciate the green if ya know what I mean...

Take an inside line and deal with the sand and gravel coming off the cliff walls, stay outside and play chicken with anybody coming the other way on a just barely two laner with no shoulders, just air. But the views. Man.

Yep, that tears it. I'm going back.
The views around Big Sur (just up the road) are pretty cool too. Very windy though.

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've ridden the Dragon on the bike on 2 trips and hit it in my sport car on 4 trips. It is SIGNIFICANTLY more fun in a sport car! It is such a tight road that it's actually pretty dangerous on a bike even if you ride slow because of all the people who will pass you and there is no safe passing zones in 13 miles.

In the sport car I can blast down that road throwing my passenger side to side and having a blast. On the bike I'm trying to stay in the center or outside of my lane on every curve because you never know when opposing traffic will come around a corner over the yellow line!

In summary: Awesome road for sport cars, I'd rather ride my bike on some of the other great roads in the area that aren't as heavily traveled or so tight of curves where you can get some speed up!

Here's what happens when you have blind corners and a lot of bikers. Harley guy was standing in the middle of the road picking up a dropped glove and got plowed into by sport bike. Start video at 42 seconds.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I've ridden the Dragon once on a 86 Honda VT1100, but now that I've got a real bike (VV), I'm headed up there very soon. Love it...

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Here's what happens when you have blind corners and a lot of bikers.
No, that's what happens when you have a show off douche bag. There was no way he was running those corners any faster than the guy leading. He was just running up their asses in the straights. I hope the Harley guy kicked him a couple times while he was lying there dumbstruck in the ravine.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Because the OP is riding at a very slow, calm pace. If you really ride, then it is quite the exciting road. 318 curves in 11 miles is a staggering amount of curves... and it will keep you on your toes if you're riding at any pace above lazy.

While pushing yourself is the real reason to ride at Deal's Gap, it is also the reason why a lot of people are abandoning it. Too many unskilled riders and of course squids who push themselves beyond their skillset causing tremendously tragic accidents. All you need is ONE squid to cross over the yellow line as you pass each other on a curve, and it's all over.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
for sure man....there are too many unskilled or 'wanna be' fast riders out there....I like to stay in the safe zone....but it's a different story when it comes to 'non-popular' roads, where there is virtually no traffic (car or bike)....ZOOM ZOOM ZOOOOOmmmm...

cheers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts