Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone compared the VM1/OEM cams what difference does VM1 make? I'm trying to decide what changes I want to make to my XCT. I did a search on here and several owner had put the cam in there engine but did not say what effect it had. (That I could find) So if this is a repeat sorry. cheers

·
13,048 Posts
go to Lloydz and buy the touring cams and a fuel tinner and be done with it.
For cheaper power put in Lloydz timing wheel. Either way if you get cams or not every one adds the timing wheel.

http://www.lloydz.com/

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well their website shows a graph with a Cross bike with a RPW slip on at 84/100. Then the same bike with the cams at 102/105. While HP is nice I'd rather the cams be geared more for a bigger torque increase. $500 for 5 foot pounds of torque doesn't seem worth it to me. I'd personally never really use the big HP increase. I like traffic light to traffic light torque not highway horsepower. But that's just me.

The curve seems fairly steady so it didn't increase low end torque early in the powerband but by about 5 foot pounds too.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
go to Lloydz and buy the touring cams and a fuel tinner and be done with it.
For cheaper power put in Lloydz timing wheel. Either way if you get cams or not every one adds the timing wheel.

http://www.lloydz.com/
I went to the Lloydz site as you said. The VM1 is the number on price quote from Rylan at the Vic shop. After visiting the Lloydz site I believe he means the HOH-VM1-DR cam. The cam was not in my list of things to do but recommended by Rylan, so am interested in what results would be. My list had D&D mufflers, Lloydz air filter, Power Commander V and timing wheel.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
My signature shows the 115/115 gain. This is what you can expect with your set up as well. Dyno tuned of course.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I went to the Lloydz site as you said. The VM1 is the number on price quote from Rylan at the Vic shop. After visiting the Lloydz site I believe he means the HOH-VM1-DR cam. The cam was not in my list of things to do but recommended by Rylan, so am interested in what results would be. My list had D&D mufflers, Lloydz air filter, Power Commander V and timing wheel.
I think that is a good list. I am doing close to the same thing. I'll be doing a Bassini 2 into 1 to hopefully pull in a bit more low end.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Well their website shows a graph with a Cross bike with a RPW slip on at 84/100. Then the same bike with the cams at 102/105. While HP is nice I'd rather the cams be geared more for a bigger torque increase. $500 for 5 foot pounds of torque doesn't seem worth it to me. I'd personally never really use the big HP increase. I like traffic light to traffic light torque not highway horsepower. But that's just me.

The curve seems fairly steady so it didn't increase low end torque early in the powerband but by about 5 foot pounds too.
In that case, skip the cams. But, do the adjustable timing wheel, high flow air filter and air strip modification, and a good set of pipes with a fuel TUNER (not a fuel tinner, whatever that is). For the tuner, I would recommend a Power Commander V with Autotune AT-300.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone compared the VM1/OEM cams what difference does VM1 make? I'm trying to decide what changes I want to make to my XCT. I did a search on here and several owner had put the cam in there engine but did not say what effect it had. (That I could find) So if this is a repeat sorry. cheers
I have the cams,pcv/auto tune,timing wheel, air filter, and a underdrive pulley. I do not regret any of these mods. On the other hand If you are looking to save some green start your mods with a underdrive pulley from conquest customs. This will make your cross bike a lot of fun to ride.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I have the cams,pcv/auto tune,timing wheel, air filter, and a underdrive pulley. I do not regret any of these mods. On the other hand If you are looking to save some green start your mods with a underdrive pulley from conquest customs. This will make your cross bike a lot of fun to ride.
Under drive pulley=not ideal for long distance highway riding.
Taken directly from their website.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Under drive pulley=not ideal for long distance highway riding.
Taken directly from their website.
No problem on the highway as long as you keep in under 90mph.
I spend most of my time at 50-80mph, still getting 45mpg. If you like to run 90-100mph then I do not recomend it.

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
underdrive pulley sounds interesting as speed limits in OZ max out just under 70 mph , most places 60 mph.
can you please tell me speeds in 4th 5th 6th gear at 3000rpm with underdrive pulley?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Well their website shows a graph with a Cross bike with a RPW slip on at 84/100. Then the same bike with the cams at 102/105. While HP is nice I'd rather the cams be geared more for a bigger torque increase. $500 for 5 foot pounds of torque doesn't seem worth it to me. I'd personally never really use the big HP increase.
Not a good way to look at it. Those are peak numbers. Without a graph to compare the two, for all we know, the cams produce 20 ft*lbs more everywhere else in the power band making the bike hugely more powerful. Point is, judging and engine's power output by a single point is all but meaningless.

Another thing to consider is that increasing power output by the engine by X% is not going to make the bike X% faster. The energy required to increase speed increases with the square of the velocity and that's before you add in the effects of the increased wind resistance.

Oh oh o oh oh hmm hmm hmm do di do a la ti da...spend money be happy!

·
Registered
827 Posts
What makes you think a Bassani 2-1 will be better on the low end?
Every 2 into 1 switch I ever did on the Harley's helped with the low end.

If anything; the bike will loose a minimum of 50 pounds ( and a cat).

·
Registered
9 Posts
underdrive pulley sounds interesting as speed limits in OZ max out just under 70 mph , most places 60 mph.
can you please tell me speeds in 4th 5th 6th gear at 3000rpm with underdrive pulley?
I live in Iowa ,so my bike has been in winter storage for 3 months LOL. Off the top of my head in 5th @60mph 3100rpm . Most of the time my motor is turning 3000-32000rpm and loves it.
What I like the most is the off the line performance, and at slow speed the bike feels like a much smaller bike.

For more info give Scott at Conquest Customs a call,
good people and easy to work with.

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
Under drive pulley=not ideal for long distance highway riding. Taken directly from their website.
Gee, I'm glad they told me, because I didn't notice.

The difference in gearing is ~7%. What does that mean? A cruising speed that was 2500 rpm becomes 2675 rpm (yes, a whopping 175 more rpm). What was 3500 rpm becomes 3745 rpm (yes, a whopping 245 more rpm).

It's really no big deal.

I took a long trip not long after I bought the smaller pulley. I decided before I left to re-install the stock pulley since I would be traveling on the highway a lot. Well, I regretted it the whole trip! Never again!

With the smaller pulley I still don't use 6th gear before 65 mph...

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Good info, thanks

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Are you planning to take your bike to Rylan? If so, Skip the auto tune do the Dyno tune. Doing the cams? Either VM1dr or touring? The difference is the touring is a pain to install and requires modification to the cases. The result is a little more torque and hp but a $500 increase in price over the VM1DR cams I believe. Wasn't worth it to me. I run strong enough to feel that front wheel start to leave the asphalt and I have not stopped grinning since October when Kyle (KMC) did mine. Any way, If you are having The Vic Shop do the work you are golden. Do it once. Your done.

Bassani has always made a great pipe. don't know that a 2 into 1 is worth the small gain over loosing the dual pipe bagger look and no matter what you say top end power (HP) is usable too. Get your torque with cams. Minimal with a pipe change

Good luck and have fun with your tune.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think that is a good list. I am doing close to the same thing. I'll be doing a Bassini 2 into 1 to hopefully pull in a bit more low end.
I would like to hear your take on that too. I'm still in the planning stage as I need to sell my wing to pay for this. Three friends with there wife's on wings & trailers and I are going to the Deals Gap or the Dragon tail in Aug of this year we already have a cabin it's called Hog Hollow in Fontana, NC. cheers

1 - 20 of 43 Posts