Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will my new NESS Big Honkers mufflers void my warranty on my 2013 Cross country tour? I have to tow my bike back to the dealership for repairs because she won't start.

·
Registered
246 Posts
it really depends on your dealer and or the issue with the motorcyle. Mufflers wont make your bike not start but some dealers can be real pricks but some are ok with Mods.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Will my new NESS Big Honkers mufflers void my warranty on my 2013 Cross country tour? I have to tow my bike back to the dealership for repairs because she won't start.
It can be used as a reason to refuse warranty work if they can link the mufflers to whatever has failed on your bike.

So, if you have a burned switch breaker, or a bad starter, that has nothing to do with the exhaust, so you would be fine. If the motor's blown (which I'm sure is not the case) they could use the mufflers as an excuse not to honor the warranty.

Also depends on how dumb the dealer is, so nothing is a guarantee. You could have someone blame a burned headlight on your aftermarket exhaust. :ltr:

·
Registered
482 Posts
As I understand things Polaris dictates the amount of hours required to complete repairs and pays the shop based on this sometimes unrealistic figure. If the required repair will exceed the allotted amount of shop hours they may decide to use any excuse possible to refuse to do the work. I see that as highly unlikely but you never know.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
Chopper 41463,
So, why isn't it starting and what are the symptoms? Have you checked to make sure the battery terminals are tight. Its common for them to loosen and cause problems. Place lock washers under the bolts. Checked fuses? Checked the circuit breaker? Cheaper than a tow, if you have to pay for it.
I'd rather do those things myself than relinquish my bike to a shop. Unless I know that the techs consistently turn out top notch work, I avoid taking my bike to a shop, especially if its a task I can perform myself--warranty or no. There are a lot of guys out there who are dangerous with tools in their hands.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I actually spoke with my local dealer regarding after market parts and warranty. They told me that they have no issue warrantying the work as long as the part I added didn't cause the issue. If I swap the cams and I have a motor issue that was caused by the cams, then yes they will refuse to warranty the work.

However they also do installs and told me that if they install the cams and there is an issue, then they WILL warranty the work.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I actually spoke with my local dealer regarding after market parts and warranty. They told me that they have no issue warrantying the work as long as the part I added didn't cause the issue. If I swap the cams and I have a motor issue that was caused by the cams, then yes they will refuse to warranty the work.

However they also do installs and told me that if they install the cams and there is an issue, then they WILL warranty the work.
Makes sense. After all, you could EASILY drop a part in the engine and then attempt to claim warranty for the fix. If they dropped the part in and it caused failure, they'd cover their FU. But not all dealerships will do such work so YMMV

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've tried charging the battery, but all I got was this strange screeching sound. I could only suspect that the starter is going bad. So I towed my bike it to my dealership. They will look it tomorrow (Tuesday 3/11). Prior to towing my bike, I've removed my big honkers exhaust (reinstalled stock), and also removed the Lloyd's fuel manager. Since my bike is at the dealership, I've decided to purchase the Ti-Oval Stage 1 exhaust. I'll call them on Tuesday to see what the issues are. I've also video the charging procedure to see why it didn't start. I'm hoping the warranty will cover everything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts