Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015. XC with just under 2000km put onto it in the first three weeks I've had it.

Today I was listening to Van Halen via th iPad connection and when I was trying to change albums via the handlebar controls something went wrong.

Now the volume lowering button (bottom left) will not lower the volume and instead behaves as a clone of the lower middle button.

In the end I had to disconnect the iPod and leave stereo in an unconnected aux setting to get it to quiet down.

Is this a common issue?

Could I have pushed a wrong button somehow?

How do I gain control of my volume settings again?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi.

Did your volume control get wet recently?

I have noticed it to be glitchy when it gets water on it.
I washed bike yesterday, and had no issues then nor for the first hour of my ride today.

·
13,301 Posts
never use pressure washer on switches or radio.

Reactions: NAB

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Fixed under warranty

The dealer swapped all three switches in one go.

We opened the switch casing of the faulty unit and saw that whole bank of six switches (three rocker switches) is imbedded in a single piece of rubber with the circuit board on the back being part of a single unit.

The point is, there is no way for water to get in, and the issue was most surely not caused by having washed the bike.

The switches seem very well engineered as far as weatherproofing goes, and I simply was unlucky enough to have gotten a bad one.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The dealer swapped all three switches in one go.

We opened the switch casing of the faulty unit and saw that whole bank of six switches (three rocker switches) is imbedded in a single piece of rubber with the circuit board on the back being part of a single unit.

The point is, there is no way for water to get in, and the issue was most surely not caused by having washed the bike.

The switches seem very well engineered as far as weatherproofing goes, and I simply was unlucky enough to have gotten a bad one.
No, you "didn't happen to get a bad one".
The switches they use are CRAP. I have had issues with my cruise and volume controls EVERY SINGLE TIME I have washed the bike or happened to ride in the rain. Now with a recent washing the volume control on my bike just refuses to function correctly AT ALL. It just constantly changes the station of the radio, or worse, but it WILL NOT control volume of the stereo in either direction. I too took the switch apart and looked it over and cannot figure out how or why but the fact is these are NOT the first instances I have heard of these issues with the stereo switches.
http://www.victoryforums.com/34-victory-cross-country-cross-roads/12982-audio-cruise-control-switches.html
http://www.victoryforums.com/34-victory-cross-country-cross-roads/73617-wet-cruise-control-problems.html
Very very cheap parts. But what can you expect, they don't want to sell you quality, they want to sell cheap parts in high enough volumes so they can claim "it's not our fault, you just happened to get a bad one". I will be fixing this issue, but it wont be with the same OVER PRICED GARBAGE PARTS they push on people. Crappy bag latches, crappy stereo switches, belt drive system that sings for most people, rear shocks that fail, and the list goes on and on.
Yeah, great looking bikes, very poorly manufactured and assembled with cheap crap parts and a company that acts like if they hide their head in the sand they will never have to fix the problems they sell. Very sad indeed.

·
Premium Member
9,018 Posts
Bikes get washed when it rains, mine does anyway.
Waterless spray detail does my bikes fine.
Vic's are built to a price, like everything, if all parts were absolute high end stuff then we wouldn't be able to afford to buy em.
Real bikes don't have stereos anyway, and if you must, Van Halen don't like being turned down.
Di-electric grease inside all accessible connectors goes a long way to waterproofing the electrics in anything, Victory's in particular.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
I have never had an issue in the few months I've owned the bike (bought used and now has 15k miles, 5k of it mine) and I live in Florida and ride in the rain all of the time. Not sure what the deal is. I never have washed my bike with water. I use that Honda Cleaner and Polish spray. I use it on my windshield and everything. The stuff works like a champ. I dunno if you get water in it or if it's a bad part, just saying my bike hasn't had issues. It even sits out in the rain while I'm out and about.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
My switches haven't acted up yet either ..... Knock on wood .... :grin

·
Registered
302 Posts
Superdog, are you sure the main problem isn't at the head unit itself?
If it was the head unit, I would doubt that that would cause problems with the cruise control, and I have had issues with both the volume button AND the cruise control. As for not washing the bike, that may be fine for some of you, but I like my bike clean and shiny and I don't spray high pressure water at ANY of the electrics and yet this issue has occurred when I have ridden in the rain OR washed it. I even got into the habit of bringing plastic bags that I held in place over both sets of switches with rubber bands while I washed it, which prevented the problem (and IS the reason I know for SURE it is a switch issue) but unfortunately it only works for washing, not for when you happen to get caught in a downpour. Just forgot to grab them the last time i washed it, and of course that is the time that it decided to completely fubar the damned radio volume switch.

To those who have not had to deal with the problem, I am glad you have not had this problem and I sincerely hope you guys continue to not have this particular problem, it is annoying as all hell.

Motorbikerx

Yes, I understand being built to a price point, I work in the manufacturing field in a business that produces vehicles that cost anywhere from a 100 g's up to 3/4's of a million dollars. To skimp on electrical switches on something THEY KNOW will get ridden in the rain or washed, is ridiculous. For what they charge for some of the parts for these bikes, they should have splurged and installed solid gold and platinum switches and they would have STILL made money. If companies cheap out on something like this, it will bite them in the ass in the long run.

Just my opinions on the subject, having dealt with and dealing with it. :frown

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
I think Vic has issues with water on the handlebar controls. Last night I parked my bike and went into a restaurant. It started pouring and stopped before I left. I got on it and started riding. Every time I pulled in the clutch lever, the emergency flashers would come on until I let out the clutch. It did this for awhile. I guess it dried out because it quit doing that. The bike ran like a champ though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
I have a 2015. XC with just under 2000km put onto it in the first three weeks I've had it.

Today I was listening to Van Halen via th iPad connection and when I was trying to change albums via the handlebar controls something went wrong.

Now the volume lowering button (bottom left) will not lower the volume and instead behaves as a clone of the lower middle button.

In the end I had to disconnect the iPod and leave stereo in an unconnected aux setting to get it to quiet down.

Is this a common issue?

Could I have pushed a wrong button somehow?

How do I gain control of my volume settings again?
I found cleaning my ipod connections helped me. this connectors are small and they are NOT meant for outdoors. They WILL get oxidation on them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I washed my 14 CCT right before a Labor Day trip to eastern OK and lost my volume controls. Up volume would change the station and down stopped working all together. Now to find a new board for my volume controls..... (n)

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,955 Posts
Try opening it and cleaning up the board.

Reactions: depot picker

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine have given me just a couple of problems in the 9 years of riding and over 55,000 miles. Twice per season now I'll give all the switches on the handlebar a shot of WD-40. No problems since. NEVER use a pressure washer or even a stream from the hose.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Seeing this thread brought back to life reminded me to give an update on my switch issues.
I still wrap plastic bags around my radio and cruise control switches to avoid getting water into them when I wash it, but I have been caught riding occasionally in the rain (or hail :O)

BUT

Since it happened again early this year, I took things apart and tried a little trick, just to see if it would fix the button. I cut a little tiny piece of plastic just big enough to cover the silver part of the button that the button pad presses onto (if you have had the switch apart I think you know what I am talking about) and then used a tiny dab of right stuff and glued it to the rubber button backing, creating a small spacer that help spread the pressure over the switch more. I wasn't thinking when I did this and did not think to take a picture. If I get a chance this weekend I will maybe take it apart and snap a quick pic if anyone is interested.
It solved the problem of the button not functioning. I have been caught in the rain since and the button continues to function properly.

Reactions: NAB and CanuckRob

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ok folks, not that anyone has asked, but because I like to share info when it could help someone else. I do not have an exact thickness but estimate roughly 1 mm +/- millionth and I dont recall what I even used for material, just know its a fairly harder plastic, definately not milk jug or pop bottle flimsy, but not a chunk of sheet metal either. Thought I used RightStuff, but realized it was Forma Gasket, either/or would work though. Hope this helps others who have had issues with their volume button.
Cheapest repair ever :D

Attachments

Reactions: NAB

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,955 Posts
Interesting that worked. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts