Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got it over with. :mad: My first (and hopefully last) tip over on my new XCT. Was at the Credit Union getting some cash from the ATM and moved to a parking spot. To my dismay, when stopping, I felt nothing underfoot. The ground sloped drastically to the left and down she went. I flew off into the grass next to the parking spot and laid there for minute wondering just what in the heck happened. Looked at my bike and there she lay...almost on her back (the slope in the parking spot was that dramatic). Got up and put the wheels on the pavement and tried to pick my baby up. Not a chance with the angle and it took a passerby to assist in getting her upright and on the kick stand. Once on the kickstand and alone once more, it took me several minutes and lots of grunting and groaning just to get the bike upright off the kick stand. That is how bad the slope was on the parking spot I had chosen. I feel quite scatterbrained for not checking the lay of the surface before entering the parking lanes. I chipped and scratched the paint on the hard lower (left side) and falling over slid the lower up into the clear wind deflector. Scratched the lower there as well. The front fairing has some paint missing right on the edge where it dug into the pavement. Clutch lever broke off at the break point and still works though. Today I'm sore as the dickens, but glad it went down in a parking lot and not while moving. I will say the left hard bag was untouched -- the bar that protects the hard bags works GREAT!!!! I do have some scratching on the crash bars themselves, but it will actually buff out really well as there isn't much (if any) damage to the bars. If she hadn't gone over so far, the crash bars would have prevented any damage to the plastic parts at all. Now all I have to do is figure out whether to get the scratches repainted or just get a new hard lower. The left side of the fairing should be okay with just some touchup paint. I'll head on down to the dealership tomorrow and see what they can come up with. Hope it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to get it repaired. Stay tuned boys and girls....news at eleven. Well, we'll see. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Glad you were not hurt.

Back in the saddle for ya and enjoy the ride. Be safe.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
as a member im glad there are no dues because we have already paid them--irv

·
13,002 Posts
Sorry for your pain. I have been to your town enough to not all is flat.
Insurance my cover.
Good Luck on your repairs.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Did mine 2 days after I got it. Bent clutch lever and somehow loosened connection on voltage regulator. Sucked

·
Registered
143 Posts
Welcome to the club!

Did nearly the same thing last year to my 2 month old to me XC on the right side in a parking lot in Hot Springs. I had the wife on the back and we both tumbled. Was travelling with my brother, who quickly parked his Goldwing upright and jumped off to help me upright the XC. It was pretty embarrasing, but overall pretty minor incident.

My bike had very similar damage as you describe, but I have some pretty deep scatches in the side of the forged bars. I had to replace the brake lever ($100) and at the time I didn't have the bag protection bars so had to replace the right side reflector that is attached to the hinge (~$10). Also had some minor scratches on the edge of the fairing and the bottom edge of the saddlebag.

So does anyone know how I would get the scratches, one might even call them gouges, out of the chrome outside edge of the forged bars?

Cheers,
Randy

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Welcome to the TOC, I see our current president Depot Picker has already blessed your membership! I may be the new president since mine TOC'd once from my mistake, was backed into/knocked over once and is now in the insurance lot for them to determine if it is repairable.

It sucks that it happened but it did and you didn't blaim the kickstand like many anonymous members have. Glad to hear there wasn't too much damage to you or the bike! Bikes can be fixed or replaced, people feel the pain for the rest of their lives!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just put my 2010 on its side this past weekend, moving it in the garage not under power and didn't here the kickstand go up. Thankfully I just put the bag bars on a month ago. thumb up

·
Registered
427 Posts
Well there's 2 types of Motorcycle riders, those that are gonna drop their bikes and those that are gonna drop 'em again....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, it really sucks big time. I'm taking it to the dealership later on today and see what the damage to my wallet is. I had just pulled into the parking spot. Had my brakes on, clutch in and reaching down with my left foot to steady the ride and put the kickstand down. Didn't even get my foot down when I felt -- geesh!!! Where is the ground? I found it...especially with my ribs I guess, because I was pretty sore yesterday. I didn't even get a chance to even try and keep the bike upright the slope was so darn severe. I took a look yesterday and it doesn't look that bad, but walking over to the parking spot you can really see how bad the slope is. Oh well, it happens and I will add this incident to the many others I have encountered. Hope this time will make me more aware of tip-over areas. They sure do sneak up on you quickly...and there ain't much you can do about it once you are in the OOOOOOOOOOOPS zone. :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Well there's 2 types of Motorcycle riders, those that are gonna drop their bikes and those that are gonna drop 'em again....
There is a third type:
The riders who think they will never drop their bike and don't know they are wrong.

·
Registered
203 Posts
There is a third type:
The riders who think they will never drop their bike and don't know they are wrong.
I used to be one of those types but a rather large rock in a parking lot disguised as a piece of trash changed all of that.:(

·
Registered
790 Posts
Mine went down on the dealer's lot after signing all the papers and shaking hands. Went to leave, got cut off while slow turning over the gutter and had to grab the front brake, then went down in slowwww mooootion. Luckily no damage. Going from my old lowered Heritage onto this beast I wasn't ready for the long reach down for footing, or the weight to keep it up.

**** Happens....;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yessireeee....when she wants to go down, there ain't no stopping her. Unless of course you are into weight lifting big time. But that isn't me. When she started down I foolishly attempted to stop her, but then remembered I'm not Arnold. :rolleyes: Geesh!!! I can't believe how much a clutch lever costs!!! :mad: Oh well, cheers

·
Registered
530 Posts
There is a third type:
There is a fourth type: Ones who have never dropped their bike and never will.

I did however lay it down once, gently - no damage - slow motion lay down. No droppage! LOL!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Its freaky I know. I laid mine over in my fathers snow and ice covered driveway back in mid April. No damage but lifting it back up without any traction was pretty tough. Up here the last of the snow doesn't melt away until early May.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Bummer you got some damage.

Backed mine out of the garage to wash it. Pulled it back in afterwards and guess I got lost admiring it, proceeded to get off without putting the kickstand down. Did manage to slow the fall enough for no damage and maintained the presence of mind to shut the garage door quickly to limit the viewing pleasure of the neighbors! :ltr:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Unfortunately this is one club that I probably hold the world record and am the most qualified for president of... Since last July 16th I have dropped my Vision 12 times... both sides... with and without me on it... with and without my wife on it... in traffic... ad nauseam.

The silver lining... no damage to the bike or the people other than my pride of never dropping a bike in 50 years of riding.

Also, have figured out FINALLY to not use the front brake at slow speeds... and haven't dropped it since.

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
I too am a proud member of that club. For whatever reason; I've dropped this XC more times and all the rest of 16 street bikes combined. Mostly in the first 6 months of ownership. Knock on wood; I haven't done it in a long now.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts