1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I've seen that before. One of the best commercials/psa's ever.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good for VW... I see it every day... Phone in the face resting on the steering wheel going 70mph down the highway... They are easy to pick out because your first thought is they must be drunk...

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Good for VW... I see it every day... Phone in the face resting on the steering wheel going 70mph down the highway... They are easy to pick out because your first thought is they must be drunk...
not wrong!...should have same penalties as drink driving

·
13,002 Posts
Here in MN. police ride in school bus's so they can look down and see who is doing wrong

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Traveling around I often see police on their computers, entering information driving down the road as well as using cell phones while driving.
I hope those aren't the same guys giving out tickets for distracted driving.
:confused:

The only studies I've seen that said that hands free devices were not as bad as a phone on the ear were funded by the cell phone industry. Makes you wonder how many studies they had to pay for and discard before the conclusion was worded properly.

One of the studies I ran across concluded that carrying on a conversation with anyone except a passenger in the front seat who was also watching the road, was no different than driving with a phone to your ear.
When both people talking were watching the road 2 sets of eyes and 2 brains watching the road tended to make up for part of the distraction of being engaged in conversation. The driver took cue's from the passengers voice that alerted them to danger. Which means helmet to helmet devices etc are probably not such a great idea though a lot of us use them.

I think something as brilliant as this ad is probably much more effective than passing another law. It had a huge effect on me and I don't have to mail a check into the court.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
screwing around with phones while driving seems to be much worse here in Phoenix that I'm used to seeing back home in the north, altho it can be pretty bad in Boise area. It always blows my mind when I see it in PHX, out on the freeway. People going 20 mph over the speed limit (or more), checking their damn facebook or something. No one signals lane changes. Any more than a 1/2 a car length between vehicles is apparently some type of cardinal sin. Slower traffic staying right is either not taught or not observed. through traffic does not adjust speed or lane position for merging traffic and vice versa. all that crazy, and somehow they're still stupid enough to screw around with their phones too. It's freaking terrifying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
While I agree that texting and driving don't go together doesn't it scare anyone how easy it was for "big brother" to take control of every phone in that theater.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
While I agree that texting and driving don't go together doesn't it scare anyone how easy it was for "big brother" to take control of every phone in that theater.
That wasn't big brother that was an advertising agency.
I'm sure big brother has better toys than that.
Anyone who says anything into a wireless phone, of any sort, writes it in an Email or post anything on the internet that they don't want to be explaining in a court room should pay to sit with an attorney for an hour and have a long discussion on privacy.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
That wasn't big brother that was an advertising agency.
I'm sure big brother has better toys than that.
Anyone who says anything into a wireless phone of any sort or post anything on the internet that they don't want to come back to haunt them latter in a court room should pay to sit with an attorney for an hour and have a long discussion on privacy.
or become a mountain man in the Alaskan bush. Our electronic devices are both crutches and tethers.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
or become a mountain man in the Alaskan bush. Our electronic devices are both crutches and tethers.

Some years ago I bought my first bagger with a radio.
Having never owned a bike with a radio it was all new to me.
I thought to myself as I was tuning in a station I wonder how many riders have died looking for a better station? It's gotten a lot worse since then. We have autocom systems and they are even worse.
Mostly I just shut up and drive. But that is me.

Some people think that they can multitask quite well.
But research shows that far less than 1% of people actually can multitask.
The rest of us just do everything poorer the more things we try to do.
The study I read said that the people who couldn't multitask had no indication that they couldn't. Most of the people they tested thought they were pretty good at it, but were unable to truly multitask at all.
Scary stuff

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Some years ago I bought my first bagger with a radio.
Having never owned a bike with a radio it was all new to me.
I thought to myself as I was tuning in a station I wonder how many riders have died looking for a better station? It's gotten a lot worse since then. We have autocom systems and they are even worse.
Mostly I just shut up and drive. But that is me.

Some people think that they can multitask quite well.
The rest of us just do everything poorer the more things we try to do.
The study I read said that the people who couldn't multitask had no indication that they couldn't. Most of the people they tested thought they were pretty good at it, but were unable to truly multitask at all.
Scary stuff
Truth. Personally, I can't even change the radio station in THE CAR and drive at the same time. Something a lot of people fail to understand is that if you're driving and screwing around on your phone, you're not doing two things at once. You're doing 10 things at once. Steering, operating the throttle/brakes, navigating, negotiating traffic, watching for pedestrians...and apparently checking your facebook (I know that's not 10 things, grant me some leeway on the hyperbole).

I can't multitask for a DAMN. If i'm invested in something, that's where all my attention is. Don't talk to me if I'm reading, because I'm not listening to you. My brain has to extract itself from the one task to switch to another. I like to think it gives me a good depth but poor width of perception. In understanding that, when performing certain tasks I can make the effort to have a broader perception. But I wouldn't call it multitasking. I just think of it as "trying not to get run over".

I am good at remembering where I was in a specific task when I switched from one task to another. I think most people are, and they confuse that with the ability to multitask. But it ain't the same, folks.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well said cheers

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Performing multiple tasks isn't the problem. As Luci pointed out, just driving requires multi-tasking. The problem is taking eyes off the road.

Granted, we all do it to some extent. But taking a glance at a radio button is a whole lot different than writing a love letter to your sweetie with your thumbs while approaching a stopped motorcyclist.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Performing multiple tasks isn't the problem. As Luci pointed out, just driving requires multi-tasking. The problem is taking eyes off the road.

Granted, we all do it to some extent. But taking a glance at a radio button is a whole lot different than writing a love letter to your sweetie with your thumbs while approaching a stopped motorcyclist.
I'll buy that. I always wonder how people come to believe they're good at multitasking when evidence often shows they're not. Break it down simply, I've got subordinates who claim to be good at multitasking. Employee evaluation time rolls aorund and I tell them, "you're no good at multitasking." They get indignant and claim they are, at which point I remind them about how they can't talk and work at the same time, or answer the phone while they're using the computer terminal (seriously, they'll stand there at the computer and let the phone, 10 inches away, ring 40 damn times). I really want to know what even prompts some people to believe they can perform multiple tasks effectively and simultaneously. Is it just good ol' ego? Or one time they assembled a children's bicycle while paying their credit card bill over the phone?

Personally, I've got a lot more experience saying I'm bad at multitasking, and it's safer if I just assume that.

...what was this thread about again?

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Telling people that they are no good at multitasking is just like telling them they don't know how to maintain a speed on the highway. Like when you are rolling along with cruise control and come up on some guy going slower than you. You pass him, cut back over, and suddenly he speeds up and passes you again. Then he has the nerve to wonder why you slowed down in front of him, when in reality he is the one who sped up (I'm on cruise control, remember)?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
But taking a glance at a radio button is a whole lot different than writing a love letter to your sweetie with your thumbs while approaching a stopped motorcyclist.
That's what the researchers thought before they started.
The finding were quite different. Since we all do it so much and never get caught by the bad luck fairy we habituate the actual danger.
The brains ability to make people oblivious to danger is a two edged sword. It allows you to drive on a two lane with other cars going the other way a few inches from you with an impact speed of 120 mph and be totally bored doing it. But it also kills many people in industry every year when they do something incredibly stupid around a dangerous machine that they have been operating their whole life.

People don't get it till they get it. Me too.
I think VW is brilliant to have found a way to advertise something that needs to be advertised to the public, and have the last thing they have burned into their minds after reality hits them be the VW logo. The lesson and the logo of the company who got the message across and may have saved their life are locked imprinted on their conscience. Plus this video because it is so pertinent to todays driving will be seen by many more people than if they paid to have a different advertisement shown during the super bowl.

Got to love it. German engineering :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts