Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I joined the forum a couple years ago but the planets never aligned and I never was able to make the jump to the Victory brigade. Now things are looking a bit better and this week an opportunity to get the bike I was originally drooling for has come up. My test ride on a Cross Roads Classic a couple years ago gave me the bug and it's never left.

So here's what I hope you can help me with - I have owned a number of bikes over the years and my current bike is a V Star 1300. It's a great bike but like with many things over time you find a few things you'd like to change. That is the sort of things I'm looking to the Victory community to help me understand.

What are the most common things that Cross Roads riders want to replace? On the V Star, handle bars, fork springs and seats were at the top of the list.

Any quirks that drive you nuts? V Star riders have all got fed up with the "thunk" in the front end going over speed bumps & potholes. The 5 speed gear box is one of my personal peeves - 1st is too low, 2nd too high and 5th isn't much of an overdrive.

Last but not least, how about service? I'm a do ti myself guy for most things and want to keep it that way. Are Victories reasonable to take care of at home? Any particular regular maintenance things that are a pain?

So that's the sort of things I'm looking for. I have had 30K of great riding on my V Star and besides doing a few things to make the bike mine, it's just gas, oil & tires - no service calls. That's what I'd hope for in my next bike. So is this the one?

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I'd say the first thing most owners want to replace is the stock exhaust/mufflers.

All Freedom 106 engines make a **** ton of mechanical noise, its something to get used too.

Service is a piece of cake, every 5k miles one drain plug oil \ filter change and lube the clutch cable ends. done.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
As with any brand... No services calls can be hit or miss. I am on Vic #2 with a combined total mileage of over 30,000. I have never needed service on either of mine. The Cross Roads is a beautiful machine with many aftermarket options to make it yours. You only live once so if you want it go get it.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I'd say the first thing most owners want to replace is the stock exhaust/mufflers.

All Freedom 106 engines make a **** ton of mechanical noise, its something to get used too.

Service is a piece of cake, every 5k miles one drain plug oil \ filter change and lube the clutch cable ends. done.
+1
First thing I did was exhaust. If you're a performance guy, there is lots of horsepower to be uncorked for cheap. Paul p has some great view about maintenance here:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCSTX6-03vy40dEBUHfcQZfA

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So are you folks going for the exhaust to get a better sound or is it the performance boost? Seems like the horsepower is up there (not sure what the torque rating is) but I guess you can never have too much!

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
So are you folks going for the exhaust to get a better sound or is it the performance boost? Seems like the horsepower is up there (not sure what the torque rating is) but I guess you can never have too much!

Sound and horsepower... The Vic's are painfully and dangerously quiet from the factory.

·
Premium Member
8,796 Posts
ditto!....sling that stock zorst as far as you can, there is someone here who does a great job of opening up the stock ones too.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Oh and another thing... Those stock exhaust cannons weigh about 50lbs!!!! They are junk. I run Miller mufflers made by DTmmil on this forum.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Larry, see my signature for my mods and I did them all myself. I'm in my 80th year and find my XR very easy to work on. I bought it new, 6 years and 28K miles ago and it has never had to go to the dealer's shop for anything. Get it, if you can afford it and when you need help,we are here to help. There are great videos showing how to do anything and everything on your Vic. I'm a big fan of the XR for its simplicity, the unobstructed front view and the removable windscreen.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
On the Vics, from my reading I'd say that pipes are highest up the list. I still have the stock pipes on my four-year-old XCT, so go figure.

Fuel controllers are up there, too, mostly with engine tuning, and often with cam replacement. Because of U.S. and Euro emission standards, don't pretty much all bikes these days come from factories too lean?

As with the V Star, handlebar and seat replacements are prevalent.

Not mentioned is windshield replacement, which is also a common mod across many brands. I don't know about the XR in particular, but there's certainly a lot of windshield changing among XC and XCT owners.

Suspension changes are not that prevalent as you mention re the V Stars, although of course some folks have messed with it.

Oil changes are about as easy as they can be. Easy access to drain, fill, and filter, and only one place to put oil.

No coolant changes. But you may pay for that in increased heat felt -- messing with O2 sensors, catalytic converters, and the fuel controllers/tune mentioned above is a popular sport.

Along those lines, adding assorted wind-management devices is common. But like windshield changes, I don't think this is as prevalent among XR owners as among the folks who have the faired (XC/XCT) Cross bikes.

Back to maintenance ...

No final-drive shaft stuff to change gear oil, and no chain to keep lubed.

I let shops do tire changes, but it's my understanding that this is about the same as on most bikes.

Rarer maintenance, however, is a mixed bag. Replacing the air filter requires gas tank removal (but then so did my Valkyrie). The fuel filter is even harder to change, it seems to me. And belt replacement is non-trivial. How often you have do these rarer maintenance tasks could fill many forum threads ... and has.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all, I really appreciate the information. RicZ - that is exactly what I wanted to hear. I am just north of 60 and if all goes well this bike could probably last me until I need training wheels.

On my V Star I drilled out the exhaust to get a little more sound (a common mod on the 1300's) and I like the level of sound it has now. I don't really want the "open pipe" sound but something manly. Can you drill the pipes on the Victory and get a good sound? I guess dumping the weight would not be a bad thing but maybe I do it in stages...

So the bike I am checking out is a 2013 and has about 10,000 miles on it. the dealer is asking $11500 plus "fees". Since I haven't been able to get over to their shop yet I don't know what the fees are but what do you folks think of the price?

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Larry....re the pipe, I drilled mine out and was very please with the resulting sound. I sent a 1-1/8" hole saw up the muffler and drilled out a very thin metal baffle. That baffle is 18 to 20" from the end, so you'll need to make an extension - I used 1/4"metal rod. Where it goes into the the hole saw, file a flat where the set screw goes and put blue Loc-tite on the set screw threads. Some have had the hole saw stay inside the muffler when they went to withdraw it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
As a very recent convert to the Cross Country, my very first priority has been chasing WIND.
My bike came used with an altered exhaust already, and someone had lowered it quite a bit (which to my surprise I LOVE), and they had also put on a ridiculously small hint of a windscreen which had to be the first thing to go. The glasses were getting blown right off my face at anything over 50 mph. One 11" Mutazu flip windshield later and my wind problems were less than half what they were. In an attempt to further mitigate wind I have wedged some little pieces of thin lexan under the lip of my forged bars - this worked surprisingly well and I already got some more material to do the job better. Next installment will be bigger and have a little more thought put into the shape but this is what they look like for now:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nicely done id-man! Yes, chasing wind was part of the V Star life as well. I ended up buying a set of Harley lowers and installing them upside down. That took away probably 90% of the buffeting. Just enough wind left to keep you cool...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I got back from camping, called the dealership to see if they still had the bike (it was still on their website) and I was told it had sold yesterday. That didn't make my day since this was the 2013 model in the burgundy and tan color which I find pretty good looking. However, there is another not too far away that is a bit older and with a few more miles on it.

So that brings me to another question or two - this other bike has 35K on it - how many miles do the Victory 106 motors go before they get tired? Are there any major scheduled maintenance items when you are at this mileage (or maybe earlier that I should check to see if they got done)?

·
Premium Member
8,796 Posts
Well, I got back from camping, called the dealership to see if they still had the bike (it was still on their website) and I was told it had sold yesterday. That didn't make my day since this was the 2013 model in the burgundy and tan color which I find pretty good looking. However, there is another not too far away that is a bit older and with a few more miles on it.

So that brings me to another question or two - this other bike has 35K on it - how many miles do the Victory 106 motors go before they get tired? Are there any major scheduled maintenance items when you are at this mileage (or maybe earlier that I should check to see if they got done)?
How long does any well maintained motor go before it gets tired?
I'd reckon an easy 200,000miles (320,000kms) out of a Victory provided its had oil changes and hasn't been run lean with pipes and intake and no proper tune.
Then freshen it up with a set of rings but while its down a big bore kit and a set of bearings may be the go.
If you average 20,000 a year that's 10 years running so the bike basically owes you nothing.
Maybe I'm optimistic, only time will tell.
Biggest worry with modern stuff it electrics and computers.
If they drop the big one all your high tech stuff will be useless anyway:|

·
Premium Member
6,075 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts