Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on opening up the fairing again and will be adding an RF Punch amp to the system so my speaker volume doesn't stall out at 21 anymore. I have heard and seen people going to marine grade quality 6.5" speakers if they remove the plastic cup that the 5.25" speakers sit inside of. I'm wondering what brands and models people recommend for quality marine grade speakers and if it is really as simple as removing those "cups" and bolting up the new 6.5" ones or if there is more fabrication involved.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You'll need to buy some 5.25" to 6.5" adapter rings. Polk DB625 speakers are very popular and don't need a baffle behind them. Also, some rings need to be notched or ground down on one side to clear the fairing. Do a search on the forum and you should find many posts regarding this subject.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You'll need to buy some 5.25" to 6.5" adapter rings. Polk DB625 speakers are very popular and don't need a baffle behind them. Also, some rings need to be notched or ground down on one side to clear the fairing. Do a search on the forum and you should find many posts regarding this subject.
Did you mean the Polk DB651?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I found these on Amazon which are surprisingly cheap with great reviews. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-DB651-6-5-Inch-Speakers/dp/B000P0PF9G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1426874146&sr=1-1&keywords=polk+db[/ame]

Think I'm going to go with them.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Who has a link to the Volkswagen speaker adapters needed for the 6.5" speakers in the fairing?

Rob

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I found these on Amazon which are surprisingly cheap with great reviews. http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-DB651-6-5-Inch-Speakers/dp/B000P0PF9G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1426874146&sr=1-1&keywords=polk+db

Think I'm going to go with them.
I would go with the MM651. They are a bit more, but you'll get better sound out of them.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-AA2651--6-5-Inch-Speaker/dp/B001C3P6FI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1426876267&sr=1-1&keywords=mm651[/ame]

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would go with the MM651. They are a bit more, but you'll get better sound out of them.

These don't appear to be marine grade like the others from what I can find.

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Looks like the Hawg Wired ZX 6.5 speakers are also pretty well reviewed for use in an XC fairing. I may try these as an upgrade to the Kicker 5.25" speakers I have now.

Rob

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. Where can I find a reasonably good adapter from 5.25 to 6.5 that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
MM651's are a much better choice as long as you switch you RF 2 channel amp to 2ohm. The speakers are rated 2.7ohms and the box they come in do say that they can be mated to a 4ohm source. The RF PBR 2 channel amp will provide both options. Not the 4 channel.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the heads up slickvic. Any idea where I can find good adapters for the speakers going from 5.25 to 6.5"?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Thanks for the heads up slickvic. Any idea where I can find good adapters for the speakers going from 5.25 to 6.5"?
My pleasure......unfortunately I splurged on the V-twin adaptors at an unreasonable $49. They work and no modification was necessary.

Another thing to ponder. Going to a 6,5 speaker will eliminate the boxes that give the 5.25 speakers a richer sound than with out. So with that said you can expect a louder front stage with 6.5's but don't expect a lot of bass. There are so many speaker choices out there. I have to say the best sounding bikes are the ones putting a lot of power (amp) to a good speaker. Hertz, Focal, Hawg wired all seem to be the heavy (expensive) hitters. I have an interest in the new RF power series 4 channel amp (400 watts) and the power series speakers. Both 6.5 and 6x9 for the rear. Still I have not read of anyone here or any other forum running this set up.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Here are the VW adapter that I use
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GQ2QT0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]
I mounted them to the fairing with self tapping sheet metal screws. Didn't seem like the most solid way of mounting, but 1.5 years later I have NEVER had to tighten anything. I had the V-Twin adapters and returned them. The gap was large and noticeable with my Madstad windshield setup. Sure I could have ground them down, but for $50 I shouldn't have to....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Would the MM651 6.5s work well with the RF Punch 300 amp 4 channel?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Would the MM651 6.5s work well with the RF Punch 300 amp 4 channel?
The 4 channel pushes 75w x 4 rms. The Polks can handle 100w RMS, 200w peak... You could get the 2 channel and still be fine, it pushes 100w x 2 rms. I think the 2 channel would be a better match for you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've already got the 300x4 on my CCT. I need the trunk speakers as well. I'm still searching for suitable speakers that dont need cutting in the trunk area.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ahhh NM then!! I didn't have good luck finding speakers for my trunk either. I have the kicker premium speakers (like the ones from the ness bikes) in my trunk. I didn't power them as I have 6*9s in my lids.

You need something really shallow. I know the rf 5.25s won't fit because the magnet was too large.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts