Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 07 vegas that takes atleast 10 minutes before i can ride it. just wondering if this is normal for these bikes or if its a tuning problem.

·
Registered
545 Posts
There is something not right... the bike should be rideable immediately upon starting... top performance can be expected in a relatively short time as well.

Sounds like a tuning problem, but would need a more detailed description of what happens when you start the bike and then go to riding.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay so heres goes i have rpw slash pipes torque tubes and vfc 111. in the moring 60 degress or so i do full chokepull it out of the garage walk back lock up about 2 mins.. put the choke at half take the dog out about 5 mins... shut choke off lock up house grab my stuff about 3 or 4 minutes.... rev it alittle bit and it dies... i have the half choke it rev for alittle bit longer and even that isnt enough sometimes as soon as i drop it into first it dies. idk if its something im doing a tuning issue or something else. once it gets running it goes great with no popping or anything

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
even after riding it for a couple hours if its off for more then 10 mins or so i have the same problem just not as bad

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
What year and model bike do you have?
The "choke" you refer to, is actually just a fast idle lever.At least it is on my Pin.

If it is an open loop bike, you may have dirty throttle bodies. The later models have a different bypass system, so the throttle bodies don't get dirty like the old ones.

How many miles on your plugs? Is your air filter clean?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm with KevinX on this one... they are not "chokes" they are "enrichers". Chokes control air flow... enrichers control fuel flow. Once you have started a bike with an enricher, you should close the enricher to half way... and when you take off close the enricher all the way and use the throttle to control fuel flow and idle... if you can do this then you will no longer have an enrichment problem. As Kevinx said, you are WAY over rich on start up... I'll give good odds that your plugs are fouled and your throttle bodies need a good cleaning. Do not despair... this problem has an easy fix and hasn't really damaged anything on the bike. Just clean your fuel and ignition systems and learn a new and proper way to use the enricher.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I'm with KevinX on this one... they are not "chokes" they are "enrichers". Chokes control air flow... enrichers control fuel flow. Once you have started a bike with an enricher, you should close the enricher to half way... and when you take off close the enricher all the way and use the throttle to control fuel flow and idle... if you can do this then you will no longer have an enrichment problem. As Kevinx said, you are WAY over rich on start up... I'll give good odds that your plugs are fouled and your throttle bodies need a good cleaning. Do not despair... this problem has an easy fix and hasn't really damaged anything on the bike. Just clean your fuel and ignition systems and learn a new and proper way to use the enricher.
The lever has nothing to do with mixture. It simply turns the throttle bail to raise idle. Enrichment is automatic based on engine temp, and run time. All controlled though the ECM.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that the thing though if take the fast idle off and give it gas as soon as i let off of it it dies. btw its an 07 vegas 8 ball

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Also your base idle should be 1000+-50. If you have it set below that. It will run way rich and die out.

Note I had a couple of replies while you were making your last post. So you might want Togo back a page

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay so it sounds like i should clean the throttle bodies, drop the green down on the vfc, maybe some new plugs and give that a shot... on a side note since everyone on here seems to know what there talking about what is that in the picture? i was told by moms south mechanic it was an evap cannister only found on california bikes or something like that? i saw in another thread use carb or brake clean and a long qtip to clean the throttle bodies is this correct?

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sry about the ?'s but i love the bikei wanna get it running right, it gets more compliments then the 2 brand new fatboys i ride with. how would i know the idle speed without a tach

·
Registered
545 Posts
The lever has nothing to do with mixture. It simply turns the throttle bail to raise idle. Enrichment is automatic based on engine temp, and run time. All controlled though the ECM.

Some say potato some say potahto... in either case the lever sends more fuel into the system on start up... as if you were starting the bike with the throttle open... without twisting the throttle. It's an "enriched" start, just mechanically induced.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
why is it even there whats its purpose? i just checked my bike btw and the green setting has been at 0 so idk whatelse to do other then send it to moms i guess and spend some money

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
idk if i metioned this earlier but when the idle control is off it chugs and seems to idle low ive been doing some research on here and people say that cleaning the throttle bodies can raise the idle? i bout the bike with 5000 miles on it with 2 previous owners. the bike now has about 8000 on it i doubt the throttle bodies have every been cleaned so i'm gunna do that and see what happens

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Some say potato some say potahto... in either case the lever sends more fuel into the system on start up... as if you were starting the bike with the throttle open... without twisting the throttle. It's an "enriched" start, just mechanically induced.
If you do not turn the lever. The fuel is still added in the enrichment cycle. The amount is determined by the ECM, and not the operator. The lever is just to increase the idle speed so that it does not flood out the bike. It is there because the 99-07 bikes have no IAC, and can not manipulate the idle speed through the ECM. it is not a choke, nor does it enrich the mixture in any way

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
why is it even there whats its purpose? i just checked my bike btw and the green setting has been at 0 so idk whatelse to do other then send it to moms i guess and spend some money
Is that green setting checked after you hit the mode button, or just looking at the unit with the bike running?
Yes cleaning the throttle body will typically raise the idle

1 - 20 of 26 Posts