Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to go to Las Vegas Bikefest in Oct and it can still be very hot that time of year...100++ kinda' hot...like it was a couple of years ago...and I would be in it for quite a while on my 12 hour trip. Hopefully not that hot but I would like to be prepared...must be the scout in me. :)

I have a Vanson Mesh Jacket, summer gloves, and Drayko kevlar jeans what would you recommend that I add to the arsenal for a potentially baking ride? I was thinking about a camelbak but was also wondering how I would wear it over/under my jacket? Any recommendations for excellent cooling clothing/accessories? Your ideas are welcome, so let 'em fly. :)

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I'm going to go to Las Vegas Bikefest in Oct and it can still be very hot that time of year...100++ kinda' hot...like it was a couple of years ago...and I would be in it for quite a while on my 12 hour trip. Hopefully not that hot but I would like to be prepared...must be the scout in me. :)

I have a Vanson Mesh Jacket, summer gloves, and Drayko kevlar jeans what would you recommend that I add to the arsenal for a potentially baking ride? I was thinking about a camelbak but was also wondering how I would wear it over/under my jacket? Any recommendations for excellent cooling clothing/accessories? Your ideas are welcome, so let 'em fly. :)
Try a hyperkewl evaporating cooling vest. Soak it in water for 4 minutes, put it under your jacket and be cool for 8 hours. ( 6 at least) Make sure you wear your jacket over it.
Good luck
Bcflyguy

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
First, I put on my Cycle Gear Heat-Out underliners (top and bottoms), then my presoaked cool vest, then my mesh jacket. Hey! Who turned on the A/C?
As I put on the underliners, I can feel an immediate cooling effect. They work! I've ridden in 106 degree heat and it didn't beat me up. I also have well vented helmets.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Something I started doing a few years ago is hose myself down from head to toe every 30-45 minutes when riding in 90+ temps... I also wear a mesh jacket over my long sleeved shirt. As you ride, the wind blows against your wet clothes and creates a great cooling effect like a fan blowing mist... Every gas station/Minimart has a hose (and they sell cold water/gatorade).

Works great--just repeat it every 30 or 45 minutes--about the time you need another pint/quart of water when riding in heat like that!

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Stay away from sodas (lots of sugar and salt) and coffee (it dehydrates). Get a camelback and suck on it often. BT had good advice about long sleeves. My Heat-Out have long sleeves. You want a minimum of exposed skin to help stay hydrated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard of cooling vests and will check that out but the heat out underliners sound pretty interesting too. Stopping often will probably be in the cards too...

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
I've heard of cooling vests and will check that out but the heat out underliners sound pretty interesting too. Stopping often will probably be in the cards too...
No info in your signature or profile make it difficult to direct you. Heat-Out is found at Cycle Gear stores or on line. FYI, it fits snug, so you might want to try them on at the store, if there's one near you. I went for a size larger than I normally wear and its still snug, but that's how it works to cool your body.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts