Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
I would have to think that the bike would run cooler. I know that Harleys run cooler with a pipe that has the cat removed. Think about it.... Your exhaust pipe is literally obstructed. Why on earth would you WANT that ?

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
It will smell like a old school Harley. You can get them anywhere for next to nothing. Cats are to help the environment, they will start to clamp down one of these days on noise and pollution.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Having those catalysts in the head pipes is not a performance enhancement. Get a pipe that does not have them, or remove them and have the bike tuned, and I guarantee you will see an improvement in performance, and ride ability. They are only there as per the EPA, and the EPA like every other government agency is not there for your enjoyment. Think about it. How has the same device improved your car's performance ?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don't understand how having a big blockage in a pipe helps performence. I just doesn't make sense to me. None of the aftermarket pipes have cats. None of the OEM pipes had cats till the EPA mandated it.wac

·
Registered
690 Posts
I don't understand how having a big blockage in a pipe helps performence. I just doesn't make sense to me. None of the aftermarket pipes have cats. None of the OEM pipes had cats till the EPA mandated it.wac
Thank you cheers

·
13,247 Posts
So you take the cats out of your head pipe now how you going to make up for the back pressure and what about the ECU.

Guess you then could buy a power commander for what 300 bucks and spend the hole summer trying to tune it and when that doesn't work you could go to a dyno shop and pay them 500 bucks to tune your bike. A victory chip will not help either.

So in the long run there is nothing to gain cheers

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think in the case of stock pipes. The mufflers should provide the needed back pressure. In my case with the swept pipes. I am going to pull the baffles out and see what they look like before I decide to gut the cats. If I have to add a fuel controler then I'll do that. I might just go with thunder baffles.

I am frankly upset that I spent a grand for vic pipes just to find out they are worse the stock.

·
Registered
690 Posts
So you take the cats out of your head pipe now how you going to make up for the back pressure and what about the ECU.

Guess you then could buy a power commander for what 300 bucks and spend the hole summer trying to tune it and when that doesn't work you could go to a dyno shop and pay them 500 bucks to tune your bike. A victory chip will not help either.

So in the long run there is nothing to gain cheers
Back pressure is over rated. Even if that is what created torque, and it isn't, the baffles are designed for that. Catalysts off nothing for performance. Nothing ! Go back a few years to a Vic that didn't have the o2 sensors. Did those pipes have cats. ? Probably not, and I guarantee they ran every bit as strong, if not stronger. Compression, cam grind, head flow, and tune create hp/tq. Not back pressure. Read this article. it's based around a harley, but the science is the same.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/exhausttech.htm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts