Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would suggest if you have a Victory that has a lower belt guard made of aluminium that you remove and bin it before it removes itself...
On the trip back from Bathurst and riding doiwn a right hand sweeping bend at around 70 mph my bike gave a violent lurch and bucked, locked the back wheel momentarily, then freed itself and I coasted to a stop as the road started to go uphill.
Thinking the worst I got off the bike as I did I heard a clang of something metal landing on the road behind me.
I looked the bike over for damage.
No collapsed wheel no broken engine case with gears or conrods hanging out.
My saddlebags were still in place.
WTF caused the lurch and lockup??.
Then I saw it!
The aluminium lower belt guard screwed up and jammed in behind the chrome upper belt guard and the swingarm near the swi ngarm pivot point!
I got my fingers in there and managed to remove the twisted metal.
The a 4x4 passed the other way and I heard a mettalic clang again , turned ad saw the rest of my belt guard had just been run over.
I walked back and retrieved it.
Further check of belt revealed it was looser and some marks on pulley and back fender indicate the part mustve gone for a ride around the rear pulley and along the top of the belt to jam in the swingarm
Still dont know if its a 2 piece item or it sheared in two as it went around.
How fkning lucky am I it didnt bring the bike down or highside me or cause further damage to the bike...
Still hard to believe what happened ...
I was fully loaded so nowhere to put the broken parts so after photographing them I left them on the side of the road.
I can feel torn metal still bolted to the underside of the swingarm.
Ive literally just got home and am posting this warning before this happens to someone else and causes injury or death.
My bike sees fairly severe duty and rough roads and high revs and resultant vibrations....unsure what exactly caused the part to stress crack and part company...
I can only assume at this stage that thats what happened.
Havent looked at the parts fiche exploded view yet to see if it is in fact a one piece item and my belt somehow chopped it in half!!!!!!
Dunno right now.
I can only assume the half that landed on the road behind me got launched up towards the stratosphere and came back down again onto the road.
Scary :eek

PS while broken down on the roadside 4 motorcycles rode past me....
None Harleys so mustve just presumed I was another broken down badass HD rider.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up.....and sure glad you didn't have a go down.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
I would like to remove mine after reading your mishap, but I lost it within the second year or so... It was originally from plastic of course

Good write-up, lucky nothing broke, like a slit belt or something....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. It could have been very bad.

·
Registered
12,220 Posts
Good thing you have a supply of under shorts. That event must have wasted the pair you were wearing. Glad it wasn't any worse.

·
13,003 Posts
I read about someone else a year ago that the lower belt guard broke and lock him up to.
Nice you controlled the bike and keeped up right. Good Going

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I took mine off my Hammer because it looked cooler without it ......:ride:

Then my belt took my finger off because it wasn't there ....:(

:ltr:

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The first thing to do if you have short/loud exhaust is to take that thing off there. The vibration/sound pressure will stress it and it will fail. Slash pipes are the worst offenders.
Well there ya go.....
Just as well it didnt let go at some of the higher speeds Ive done on the odd occasion, like on the dragstrip of course.
I did notice in pix of customs that a lot remove it.
I just thought it was to clean up the looks and minimise unnecessary crap on the bike.
Maybe RPW couldve included a warning with the pipes?
If I'd have known of the impending doom then I certainly wouldve fucked it off ages ago.
The Freedom Performance Slash pipes terminated lower to the ground , the only real hazard with them was the fact they ground away from contact with the road on hard tight right handers.
The RPW's sit nice and high and if they touch the ground the bike would be crashing.
Only rhs contact now is the footpeg and its mounting bracket.

Anyway, we live and learn.
Its history now...sad I couldnt keep the mangled bits for 'show and tell'.

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

:ltr:
Makes a mental note not to do similar as Im quite fond of my fingers, they do come in handy .
Now talking about chopping things up.
Was it a one piece part to start with?
Did my belt chop it in two as it rotated around the rear pulley !!...?
In my minds eye Im visualising its journey as it possibly...? ...dropped down onto the belt and went for a little trip around pulley jammed between the teeth of the belt and the drive teeth of the belt?
Bike was hot and going quite hard at the time so it may well have chopped the piece in half! .
The outer bit doing a moonshot and the inner larger section continuing its journey around the pulley jammed between the pulley and the belt, then forcefully propelled forward along the top run of the belt to end its little journey between the front of the rear tyre and the swingarm.

How it didnt snap the belt or blow the rear tyre I have no idea.
I was on a downhill sweeping bend when it occured ....had I been cranked over more the momentary lock up and lurch wouldve certainly laid the bike down or sent it and me highside.
Yet again I cheat severe injury or death.
Ill get the bike up on my jack today for a thorough inspection.
Certain the belt stretched and/or the rear wheels pulled around slightly out of alignment somehow...cos the belts certainly running a little slacker than my norm.
Better stringline the wheels too and check alignment properly the old school way.
Something Ive never actually done before.
Should be on YouTube Id think...
And yeah the bamboo undies didnt have any skidmarks cos I have nerves of steel and am fearless:eek.....:frown
While away Ive had at least a half dozen ebay sales on 5 packs of them so my first duty today is to get them packed and posted and then go over the bike.
Already thanked my lucky stars Ive survived and been able to ride home too.
I was miles and miles from home in the comparative middle of nowhere.
Its a sign of the times when other riders ride past a rider in trouble.

·
Premium Member
13,191 Posts

I think about that picture you posted of your lopped off finger tip every time I'm working down around the belt of one of my bikes.

I'm extra careful around it thanks to you Mags.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
I think about that picture you posted of your lopped off finger tip every time I'm working down around the belt of one of my bikes.

I'm extra careful around it thanks to you Mags.
Same here.... Also I tried to remember the month it happened, but my brain is not what it used to be , so we can say "happy birthday" ....
@LILMAGS500 did it happen in 2014 if I remember correctly?

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This bit was left bolted to the swingarm.
Look at it and where it broke..
Accident waiting to happen!

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,191 Posts
Ahh... okay. This reminds me; I really should check those parts on my bikes. I'm pretty sure I took the one off the XC when it was nearly new because of a similar conversation back then but I never really looked at the KP. On the XC, if I remember correctly, the common wisdom was this lower piece did more to catch debris and throw it into the belt/pulley than it prevented.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I've wondered about taking it off myself. Still, wouldn't hurt to check it once in a while...

·
Premium Member
13,191 Posts
Better yet; remove it so the chance of debris getting thrown into the belt/pulley is reduced. This is one of those things people have to make up their own minds about. There is no opinion that's going to be 100% correct most likely.

All I can say is I removed mine 5 or 6 years ago and haven't had an issue because of it. Of course there are probably thousands of people who haven't removed theirs who also have had no issues which is why I said this is one of those things that fall into a gray area where people who need solid proof one way or the other isn't going to get it. They have to make an educated/informed opinion and go from there.

·
13,003 Posts
Motorbikerx

make sure you check front pulley nut. Check your shock to see if its hasn't leaked oil or if its working properly.
I don't see any purpose in the lower belt guard other then to guide the belt in a straight line if it brakes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts