Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my front tire today, and now my front rotors are warped. Don't understand how that happened. Anybody got any ideas. They are so bad it'll hardly roll. What happened?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
[email protected]#$%^&*

Maybe when you installed the caliper back onto the rotor possibly one of the pads possibly was not setting in the caliper correctly. It would then possibly rub constantly because it would not set back into the caliper correctly.Just an idea.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speedblue, I am puzzled, the left side inside of the caliper is dragging on the rotor! I put a washer between the caliper, and the fork, and it will roll now. Something happened. No washers or shims on the floor. I don't get it. It looks like I could use some pads.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Speedblue, I am puzzled, the left side inside of the caliper is dragging on the rotor! I put a washer between the caliper, and the fork, and it will roll now. Something happened. No washers or shims on the floor. I don't get it. It looks like I could use some pads.
Brake pads always drag a little. There is nothing that forces them away from the rotor when you let off the brake. Maybe one of the pistons in the left side is just stuck.

You can pull the wheel and pry the pads apart manually. You can then pop off the pads and put some grease on the pistons. Sounds like you need to put new pads on it anyway.

Afterwards, make sure you squeeze the brake lever enough until the brake feel comes back before you head out on a test ride.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brake pads always drag a little. There is nothing that forces them away from the rotor when you let off the brake. Maybe one of the pistons in the left side is just stuck.

You can pull the wheel and pry the pads apart manually. You can then pop off the pads and put some grease on the pistons. Sounds like you need to put new pads on it anyway.

Afterwards, make sure you squeeze the brake lever enough until the brake feel comes back before you head out on a test ride.
Saddle, after longer inspection the rotor isn't warped at all, the caliper was dragging on the rotor. I shimmed it in .025 that mostly fixed it, but that doesn't explain why this happened. I had no shims, or spacers in there before. Why does it need it now? Do the pistons on the inside move too?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Saddle, after longer inspection the rotor isn't warped at all, the caliper was dragging on the rotor. I shimmed it in .025 that mostly fixed it, but that doesn't explain why this happened. I had no shims, or spacers in there before. Why does it need it now? Do the pistons on the inside move too?
When you press the brake, the pistons squeeze the pads against the rotors. When you remove pressure, they have no pressure to cause braking, but they just kind of sit there and they will always drag a little. Occasionally, you need to grease those pistons up a little to keep them moving smoothly. Just make sure you don't get any on the brake pads.

I don't understand what it is that you shimmed? Did you put something behind the pad? If so, that would press it in closer to the rotors, no?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you press the brake, the pistons squeeze the pads against the rotors. When you remove pressure, they have no pressure to cause braking, but they just kind of sit there and they will always drag a little. Occasionally, you need to grease those pistons up a little to keep them moving smoothly. Just make sure you don't get any on the brake pads.

I don't understand what it is that you shimmed? Did you put something behind the pad? If so, that would press it in closer to the rotors, no?
I had to shim the caliper inward away from the fork, to get the caliper from dragging on the rotor, not the pads, the caliper was dragging, hard, could barely roll the wheel

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Saddlebag is exactly correct. This is not as uncommon as you might think. Pull the pads, pump out the pistons just a little, not enough for them to come out completely, spray and clean with brake cleaner, maybe use some HIGH TEMP grease but only a very thin layer, and press the pistons back in. Put everything else back together or install your new pads, pump up the brake till you get resistance, and let us know if this worked for you.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bob, I'm not talking about the pads dragging, I'm talking I shimmed the caliper in , now .087 to get the caliper away from the rotor it wasn't inboard far enough with the pads thin, it was grinding on the rotor. Literally metal transfer onto the caliper! I fixed it by shimming, going to get pads in a half hour or so.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Changed my front tire today, and now my front rotors are warped. Don't understand how that happened. Anybody got any ideas. They are so bad it'll hardly roll. What happened?
Not enough information, but it sounds as though something went wrong with your re-assembly.

If you didn't have this problem prior to changing the front tire then I would retrace my installation steps.

·
13,247 Posts
NEVER NEVER grease brake pistons NEVER

Pull wheel now put straight edge on rotors and see if there warped

Now push break pistons bake into caliper by place a large screwdriver between brake pads. You can eye ball it to see both side of the pistons are all the way in.

Now put wheel back on and press break lever a couple times.
With wheel off ground spin wheel yes you might hear a little rubbing but that will to away when you ride and use brake to re set the pads onto the rotor.

If your still in doughty stop by dealer or a friend that knows something

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Grease brakes equal really bad idea. If it didn't a shim before it is an install issue.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know my way around, but this weirded me out. It's fine with a shim on the caliper one on each bolt. Trust me, I've had it back apart five times. I shimmed the whole caliper in .087" now it's fine. It could go in more to get the caliper centered on the rotor, both of them. But for now it's fine, and the rotor is flat, the right side is just a taste warped but not bad at all. Thanks Johnnie

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Azdave if I had as him or a spacer laying on the floor I would agree, but that's not the case. It won't even go together withe spacers on the other side, I tried it! I thought at one point last night that maybe I was a dumbshit and somehow got the spacers switched, nope. I have them in the right spot, I took the left caliper off to get the wheel off the bike, put it back together, and... Trust me I'm not a dummy, I need to talk to Kevin.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
NEVER NEVER grease brake pistons NEVER
I stand corrected. It appears that brake fluid is the preferred way of lubing the pistons. Though I still see some folks say to use grease between the top of the pad and piston, presumably to quiet squeaky noises.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This ap Dosent let me view what you ride but you said "rotors" so if it is dual make sure the wheel is going the right way if it's possible to go the wrong way, and make sure the axle entered on the correct side. I'm not sure if either of these things apply on a Vic but its a real common problem on sport bikes when customers try to DIY and fail miserably

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 16 of 16 Posts