Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1,700 miles on my new XC and a few days ago the bike started to exhibit the classic signs of having a warped front disk... when coming to a stop the bike does that rhythmic brake surging thing.

I'm going to clean the disks real well but don't have much hope that will fix it.

What's the chances of this being covered under warranty.

Mr. Kevin X, you out there?

·
13,026 Posts
Stick a straight edge on the rotor and check it.
If the rotor is bad I would think you would get a new one. Make sure they replace the pads cause they will not be flat.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2011 Cross Country.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealer looked at the rotors Saturday and said there was no warpage, which I have to agree with... visual inspection does not indicate that there is any. But the bike is still not braking linearly. The tech said it might be a stuck button and to just ride it for a while and it should fix its self. I made sure the counter girl entered a good note in the computer for documentation.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Dealer looked at the rotors Saturday and said there was no warpage, which I have to agree with... visual inspection does not indicate that there is any. But the bike is still not braking linearly. The tech said it might be a stuck button and to just ride it for a while and it should fix its self. I made sure the counter girl entered a good note in the computer for documentation.
Spent 15 minutes chewing out my mechanic over this; first thing today. Next time we schedual you in on a Sat. Let's make sure it is one that I am working.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kevin,

The tech did fine (sorry I can't remember his name). He jacked the bike up, spun the wheel like 50 times, listening, feeling, and playing with the brake lever.

He came over and discussed it with me for a while, suggested that it might work itself out, and even offered to order a couple of rotors. I declined, but said I would be back if it didn't clear up within a few thousand miles. Hopefully it will clear up, but if it continues I will be back to see you.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Could also be glazing if the tech didn't measure an out of tolerance runout.

I agree it's a warranty item if something is out of spec, but if I were in your shoes I'd scotch brite the rotors with a non-chlorinated brake cleaner as lubricant (as well as scuffing the pads) and then re-bed the brakes. The problem may go away.

Up to you. I know some folks would prefer the dealer fix it if the bike is under warranty. Good luck

·
Registered
427 Posts
I had a similar issue many years ago on my 81 Yamaha Seca 750. (Great Bike! Put 120,000 on it in the 18 years I owned it!) I knew the rotors were warped, but the deal kept saying they tested within tolerance. I went back and forth a few times and finally brought it in one last time, put it up on the center stand in the shop. I asked the Service Manager for a sharpie marker and drew a circle on my rotors. Gave the wheel a spin and lightly applied the brakes. Lo and behold, the circle I drew got rubbed off the high spots by the pads, proving the warppage was real. 2 new rotors were the result, covered by warranty

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer replaced both front rotors Saturday AM and now the bike brakes smooth like it should. Thanks to the guys at Gainesville Polaris.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts