Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to share my experience with the supposed nation wide warranty on the victories.
Went to Americade last weekend on my new victory cross country bought an early 2011 Blue. On the back to Ottawa Ontario Canada . I started to experience some radio trouble when you idle at a light or a stop worked fine as soon as you start rolling it cuts in and out as if your turning it off and on , I thought no worries when i get home I will take it too the dealer have them look at it after all it does have a three year warranty, rite. WRONG. I go to my local dealer to book it in and he ask's me where I bought it I said Montreal he says well you should bring it back there. I replied when i bought the bike they said it had a nation wide warranty to which he could not argue so he proceeded to take my info and make an appointment. Feeling like I just got screwed I left and promptly went to our other local dealer there he wouldn't even make me an appointment told me too take it back to where i bought it.
I may not have been so pissed off if I had shopped hear in town and bought in Montreal because they had better price but that was not the case I shopped in Montreal because they were the only ones who had a bike too test ride.I even came back too my local dealers and said if you can get me a 2011 in blue i would buy it from them they flat out told me they could not get me that bike until spring. So here is my warning you better watch where you buy your victory because that is the only place that will service it under warranty I hope my bike never breaks down on one of my cross country tours because it could get expensive to truck it back to Montreal all the time.
Oh ya by the way that dealer that made the appointment later called me and canceled the appointment saying his manager said they didn't want to work on it they wouldn't get paid by polaris.:mad::crzy::confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Believe me if i could find a # to call I would in today's market you would think they would like too impress new customers I have lots of buddies that ride HD and they where considering buying a Victory but after this I don't know if I would recommend it.cheers

·
Registered
74 Posts
I want to share my experience with the supposed nation wide warranty on the victories.
Went to Americade last weekend on my new victory cross country bought an early 2011 Blue. On the back to Ottawa Ontario Canada . I started to experience some radio trouble when you idle at a light or a stop worked fine as soon as you start rolling it cuts in and out as if your turning it off and on , I thought no worries when i get home I will take it too the dealer have them look at it after all it does have a three year warranty, rite. WRONG. I go to my local dealer to book it in and he ask's me where I bought it I said Montreal he says well you should bring it back there. I replied when i bought the bike they said it had a nation wide warranty to which he could not argue so he proceeded to take my info and make an appointment. Feeling like I just got screwed I left and promptly went to our other local dealer there he wouldn't even make me an appointment told me too take it back to where i bought it.
I may not have been so pissed off if I had shopped hear in town and bought in Montreal because they had better price but that was not the case I shopped in Montreal because they were the only ones who had a bike too test ride.I even came back too my local dealers and said if you can get me a 2011 in blue i would buy it from them they flat out told me they could not get me that bike until spring. So here is my warning you better watch where you buy your victory because that is the only place that will service it under warranty I hope my bike never breaks down on one of my cross country tours because it could get expensive to truck it back to Montreal all the time.
Oh ya by the way that dealer that made the appointment later called me and canceled the appointment saying his manager said they didn't want to work on it they wouldn't get paid by polaris.:mad::crzy::confused::confused::confused:
My dealer flat told me if I bought from another dealer that they would never work on my bike. Victory really needs to get this BS under control.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Where EXACTLY are you located?

Are you in Canada? Is your problem a Canadian one rather than a "Victory" issue? Or are you in the USA but crossed the border to buy a bike in Canada? If the later, your issues may not be Victory's issue as much as it could be blamed/related to "grey market" concerns due to crossing borders? Lots of people buy cars in Canada but can't get them serviced in the USA because the US dealers do not get compensated for servicing Canadian cars.

OK, so I re-read and though the grammar is a bit "mixed up", it appears that you are in Ottawa, right? Either that or you rode to Ottawa and then back to your hometown....but you don't ever say where your hometown is. I know you bought your bike in Montreal which is not where you live. Perhaps this is a Canadian servicing issue (if you live in Canada and are trying to get service in Canada) as I don't believe that anyone in the USA has experienced any similar issues.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Believe me if i could find a # to call I would in today's market you would think they would like too impress new customers I have lots of buddies that ride HD and they where considering buying a Victory but after this I don't know if I would recommend it.cheers
William....May I suggest going to Victory's Facebook page...you will find that people from Corporate Headquarters regularly visit there...I had a few "issues" with my dealer...I went there and ever since I get the attention and service one would expect to get when buying a new bike.....cheers

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
PM David Shelleny; he's a member on here and works for Victory. See if he can get you in contact with the regional manager - somebody higher up needs to know that the POS dealer refused to help you. I doubt the owner knows about the problem so he may be interested to find out that his employee(s) let money walk out the door with the service and the initial purchase.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I went to the victory/Polaris website and at the bottom of the page it says contact us. Here is a number for you. If you are in Canada you might have to change the country option but here is the number for them.
1 (888) 704-5290

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Here's another factory contact in the resolutions department.....
Monte Gourley
651 408-7237
[email protected]

Good luck.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My neighbor has a vision and he ran into this.
My dealer stopped carrying Victory's. Called several dealers and 1 finally said they would service it and honor the warranty.
This is 1 of the big things that HD does. The dealers I have used through the years has never asked me where I bought my bike, they do not care.
I would contact Victory about these dealers.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I don't get it. Sending customer away is the dumbest thing a dealer can do. First they are kicking the cash away from the factory for the services they do and second they are loosing a customer forever. Just plain old stupid.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't get it. Sending customer away is the dumbest thing a dealer can do. First they are kicking the cash away from the factory for the services they do and second they are loosing a customer forever. Just plain old stupid.
X2, I have no clue what they are thinking.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Instead of butting heads with every service clerk, why don't you just say you just moved down from X-location, where you've purchased from your local dealer at the time. And you can throw the cherry on top if you wish, and tell your dealer that you're the type who always spends his/her money in local businesses. ;)

Personally, even if they take the bike in, I wouldn't want to work on it if they're pissed at me. So, make nice with them... (even if they're complete morons with no business sense). :D

·
Registered
693 Posts
Whole thing sounds fishy to me in a couple of ways. A quick search (as provided by other forum members) will result in several ways in which you can get in touch with Victory to get this resolved...and hopefully quickly.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
As KevinX already pointed out. A Victory dealer cannot refuse warranty work.

Now if a dealer stopped selling Victory he is not obligated to work on them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well here is an update folks. Just to clear up some confusion I live in the Ottawa area and purchased the bike in Montreal only because the Ottawa dealers could not get me the bike I wanted last fall which was the blue 2011 cross country.
I called the dealer that i bought my bike from and told him what was going and he could not believe what was happening to me. He said he gets customers that purchase bikes in the states because they are cheaper in the US and they bring the bike to him for service ,he doesn't like it but then those same people come back to him for parts and accessories and service. Which makes total sense to me. Anyhow that dealer was very helpful he gave me the # for customer service and will figure out what wrong with my radio no matter how long it takes. Well I called customer service at Polaris and all I can say is I feel about the same way I did when I left the dealerships that refused to work on my bike. Screwed. There official statement is each dealer is an independent dealer and they cannot force them to perform warranty work. That just amazes me dealers are the face of Polaris you would think that they would have to sign some kind of agreement to become a dealer and warranty these days is a big deal. I run a heating and cooling business and when we become a dealer of a specific brand we sign a warranty agreement we all know there is no money to be made on warranty work but is a necessary evil.
All I can say is as much as i love this bike and I really do, if im going to have to spend $150 in gas one way and 2.5 hours drive time and being without my bike for a week at a time I will not be recommending any of my buddies to purchase a victory.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
528 Posts
All I can say is as much as i love this bike and I really do, if im going to have to spend $150 in gas one way and 2.5 hours drive time and being without my bike for a week at a time I will not be recommending any of my buddies to purchase a victory.
william2700 is online now Report Post Reply With Quote
Just curious as why it would cost $150 for fuel?
I understand fuel is higher where you are but $150 1 way is really out there.
My dealer is 3 hours away, 1 way rider/drive. Even if my wife has to dive with me, her in the car and me on the bike it only cost around $85 for 2 trips with the bike and car both ways.

dd

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Well here is an update folks. Just to clear up some confusion I live in the Ottawa area and purchased the bike in Montreal only because the Ottawa dealers could not get me the bike I wanted last fall which was the blue 2011 cross country.
I called the dealer that i bought my bike from and told him what was going and he could not believe what was happening to me. He said he gets customers that purchase bikes in the states because they are cheaper in the US and they bring the bike to him for service ,he doesn't like it but then those same people come back to him for parts and accessories and service. Which makes total sense to me. Anyhow that dealer was very helpful he gave me the # for customer service and will figure out what wrong with my radio no matter how long it takes. Well I called customer service at Polaris and all I can say is I feel about the same way I did when I left the dealerships that refused to work on my bike. Screwed. There official statement is each dealer is an independent dealer and they cannot force them to perform warranty work. That just amazes me dealers are the face of Polaris you would think that they would have to sign some kind of agreement to become a dealer and warranty these days is a big deal. I run a heating and cooling business and when we become a dealer of a specific brand we sign a warranty agreement we all know there is no money to be made on warranty work but is a necessary evil.
All I can say is as much as i love this bike and I really do, if im going to have to spend $150 in gas one way and 2.5 hours drive time and being without my bike for a week at a time I will not be recommending any of my buddies to purchase a victory.:rolleyes:
Then answer you got from Victory is typical. Any complaints that go through that line are met with the same response.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My brother in law is a very simple man who is a collegiate coach and loves sports. He has a basic saying about life: when something doesn't make sense, the answer is money.

As a business, turning down guaranteed paid work via warranties sounds too good to pass up. On the face of it, who cares where someone bought the bike? Service money spends just as well as sales money. So why care? Now, if the majorirty of dealers DO care, then that means there is more than meets the eye, and I would be willing to suggest that money is the answer. Possible explainations:

- Polaris doesn't pay the $80+/hour labor rates that we consumers pay making it far less profitable for them to perform the work.
- The service department doesn't get credit for warranty work towards SPIFF's/incentives.
- Someone at Polaris tracks warranty repair claims vs. sales trends and a dealership does not want to be on the high end of the bell curve. Therefore, taking too much of another dealership's claims is not good.
- Parts could be reimbursed at cost, not considering carrying costs so they lose money on parts plus the part itself.
- The actual paperwork to process a warranty claim is so horrific that the time/effort to actually file and get reimbursed for a claim eliminates any profitability.

Just spitballing here...

Polaris definitely would want every dealer to provide exceptional customer service and correct any manufacturing/product errors to their customer's delight. However, they would also want a tight reign on what constititutes a claim and any profit driven from the repair. BMW recently put new practices in place to protect itself against dealerships quickly solving issues with warranty claims against mother BMW, without adequate due dilligence on behalf of the dealer. It seems that too many of them were quickly replacing parts that were potentially defective to delight their customers when in fact, the part was functional and costing BMW. Since Vicroty dealerships are franchises, the issue of control is even more important.

So, my thoughts... Mother Polaris has made warranties a pain the the butt for the dealers on purpose, making them less profitable and more cumbersome than traditional service repairs. They may force the selling dealership to honor warranties they sell, them but only encourage the others do so as well. I would hope that if a bike was not operational, they wouldn't refuse someone and leave them stranded.

Net - dig deep - it's about money! Doesn't make it right/acceptable.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts