Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member to the victory family. Just picked up my 2013 8ball a month ago.

I am now at my 500 mile mark. What is the rule on this 500 mile service. Do I need to take it to a dealer or can I do my own oil change? Any and all advice/info is much welcomed.

Thanks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
According to my dealer, an oil change is not the only thing they do. When my bike was sold, they uploaded the bike's data (ECM, etc) to Victory. They did so again at 500 miles so Victory knows everything is OK. They re-torque necessary bolts, adjust belt tension, and various other things.

·
Registered
246 Posts
According to my dealer, an oil change is not the only thing they do. When my bike was sold, they uploaded the bike's data (ECM, etc) to Victory. They did so again at 500 miles so Victory knows everything is OK. They re-torque necessary bolts, adjust belt tension, and various other things.
It isnt free though right?

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well some things are "included"

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
Well some things are "included"
Some folks were able to get the 500 mile service included when they purchased their bike. I had to pay $260 for it, but I got a very good deal when I bought my XR, so I didn't mind. thumb up

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Some folks were able to get the 500 mile service included when they purchased their bike. I had to pay $260 for it, but I got a very good deal when I bought my XR, so I didn't mind. thumb up
With the oil change Ricz? I did the oil myself me being the cheaper of cheap, then had the do the 500 and got it at 1.5 hr service time (115 I think) adjusted the belt tension, reflashed radio, a couple fairing adjustments and validated the warranty with their service dept since I didn't buy it from them. I've got a good dealer and it worked out good for me going that route. Everyone's happy. Hehe

·
Registered
110 Posts
I hadn't really thought about it.

Mine is an 8-Ball, so there's less to "go over" and tighten, etc.

Having owned it a solid week, - I changed the oil at 500 miles and gave it the "once over".

Is there something special about the first service?

Heck, I have a 6 year old Harley that's never been back to the dealer, and the same for our Gold Wing... showing 50,xxx miles.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I had dealer do 500 mile. I figured if they were going to find a factory related issue that would be he time. Also I was worried about future warranty issues since I have a 5 year I waited for bike. Took 2 hours and got a clean bill of health

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
Heck, I have a 6 year old Harley that's never been back to the dealer, and the same for our Gold Wing... showing 50,xxx miles. :confused:
Same thing for my 2002 GoldWing with 52000+ miles - even for the frame break recall - i checked it myself and had it double-checked. Fork springs, general maintenance, etc was all done by me.

I still had the dealer do the 500-mi service. Whether you do or not, it's your call. I prefer having the knowledge it was given its final once-over after break-in.

·
Registered
110 Posts
We have a very good local Victory dealer, so maybe it would be OK to have them do the initial service, sans fluids.

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
When doing the routine service yourself, it would be a good thing to maintain some sort of documentation in the event of a warranty claim.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Also, just because you take it to the dealer does not mean that the said dealer is going to actually do all the things required for the 500 mile service. My dealer just changed the oil, sprayed some WD40 on the kickstand and checked my lights. Got home and realized they had overfilled the oil by over 1/2 quart. I got the necessary tools and did the rest myself (except for compression test and torque the steering head bolt).

·
13,262 Posts
500 mile service then can change oil check belt alinment and check throttle cables.
You can not retourq bolts period
it makes me mad that I buy a 30 thousand dollar car and don't have to bring it back so why the bike. Its a BS way for polaris/victory to put money in dealers pocket.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am also concerned on warranty issues. I am picking up my 2013 CC on Sat. and will be due for first service when get home on Sunday. I would prefer the do it myself approach, considering closest dealer is a 400 mile round trip, and already had issues with them on even purchasing. So, am buying from dealer that is over 500 miles one way. Can everything be done yourself? Is there a service manual available, if so, what about ecm programming, can a person buy what is necessary to accomplish, or are we strapped to dealer?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
There's a lot of "Inspecting" done at the 500 mile service but very little beyond that. Change oil/filter, lube clutch & brake levers, adjust drive belt if necc.

I did my own oil change and adjusted the clutch free play which was totally fine with the dealer .... they did the rest.

I would be willing to bet though that they never pulled the tank and inspected the air filter.

I doubt I will have the dealer do anything more as I can do most myself.

Just keep a record if not for your own protection re: warranty but for the next guy that owns "your" scoot.

Nothing better when buying a used bike than to have a complete maintenance history IMO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts