Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting close to making a call and I am so torn. Not for folks that came up from metrics but the HD guys. (only because thats my situation).
What pushed you over and no regrets?

My mind says get the 8 Ball and load it up. But every time a HD goes by the sound and remembering the feel of my Softail makes me stay in that camp.

No comparison as far as value, style and performance (Vic wins). Its about heart. Hoping a few crossovers can tell me they found it in their bikes. So hard to give up my sound : (

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
You gotta do what feels good for you.

I've never ever pulled up next to any other bike and thought I made a mistake buying a Vic.

Then again my Vic is my first bike.

I was going to buy an HD and customize it. The night before going to the HD dealer I saw a commercial on TV with a low slung fat tired bike driving around in a warehouse.

I had never heard of a Victory before that commercial. I went to my nearest Vic dealer the next morning and that was all she wrote. I did a lot of surfing and trolling on different Victory blogs. 1 month later I bought my bike.

I wasn't concerned about what any HD riders would think or whether or not I fit in.

I knew that the black Jackpot was very close to what I was going to do to the HD I was going to purchase.

So I found the best deal and bought a JP and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I was looking at dynas. wanted a cruiser that can still handle and perform, not just a looker. The dyna was nice and looked good, but the anemic engine and excessive vibration turned me away.

vic won because it had the allure of a low-production bike, is american, and performs like a modern machine. easy choice for me.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
A Victory will never give you the sound an HD will. If you care only about sound, and you don't care about handling, performance and reliability, then you won't be happy riding a Victory.

Sound and performance don't go hand in hand when it comes to cruisers. So you'll have to chose between the dog that barks louder or the one that bites harder. Either choice is right as long as it puts a smile on your face.

Do a search on the forum and see what the previous HD owners said when they decided to switch - a lot of them have written in depth posts on the subject. Hope you make the right choice for yourself and ride safe.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Motorcycles are a solo sport. Period. It's not about what your poser buddies think of your brand choice. I put more miles on my last bike (a Yamaha) than any of my HD buddies combined. If you're having to ask that question, you'll only be happy if you follow the rest of the sheep and get a HD. If you want quality and performance, get a Victory. Or a Yamaha, lol. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big Shawn, I actually went to look at Victory because of that. I hate the HD fanfare. Sadly I love the sound and feel of my softail though. Hate the looks by the way. Thats why I am selling it.
I am getting close and hopefully will call both dealers with decision tomorrow.
Doing swept pipes for looks. If I order one what should I do performance wise to make up for the lost HP. Air intake? Any seat recommendations etc?

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Have you gone on a test ride? Victory encourages it and dealers do it because they know it is the best selling point!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was in the same dilemma, kept visiting the HD dealer and so nearly bought one, looked at the 48, Dyna's and the rocker. HD marketing is very clever and it was only cost that stopped me going with the rocker until I spotted the Victory dealer....

Less marketing hype just the real thing and here in the UK a lot better price than the equivalent HD...

I am very happy with the Vic and since learning more about reliability and better design even more so...just wish the rain would stop!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Back in 04,I was ready to upgrade my 1st bike,a 03 Honda 750 Spirit,and pull the trigger on a Night Train.I walked into the Harley dealer,checkbook in hand,walked around a Night Train for 15 minutes.I was the only customer in the store,and no one would talk to me!I finally walked out.The next day I saw an add for the new 8 Ball.WOW! The next week,I went to the Victory dealer,and the rest is history.It was the best decision I ever made!The styling is second to none.The performance blew my away.30,000 miles later,I still love that bike.These bikes are bullet proof.I still feel like a spokesperson for Victory every time I go somewhere.People are always asking questions,and complimenting me. All my club brothers,(who all ride HD)love the look,and sound of my bike.They also respect the performance.Just last night,one of my brothers with a Fatboy with a 95" bigbore,cams,and porting lined up with me.After I beat him,he was astounded how fast these bikes are.Especially after I let him know that I didn't twist the throttle all the way!!:D

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Back in 04,I was ready to upgrade my 1st bike,a 03 Honda 750 Spirit,and pull the trigger on a Night Train.I walked into the Harley dealer,checkbook in hand,walked around a Night Train for 15 minutes.I was the only customer in the store,and no one would talk to me!I finally walked out.The next day I saw an add for the new 8 Ball.WOW! The next week,I went to the Victory dealer,and the rest is history.It was the best decision I ever made!The styling is second to none.The performance blew my away.30,000 miles later,I still love that bike.These bikes are bullet proof.I still feel like a spokesperson for Victory every time I go somewhere.People are always asking questions,and complimenting me. All my club brothers,(who all ride HD)love the look,and sound of my bike.They also respect the performance.Just last night,one of my brothers with a Fatboy with a 95" bigbore,cams,and porting lined up with me.After I beat him,he was astounded how fast these bikes are.Especially after I let him know that I didn't twist the throttle all the way!!:D
NICE , same here buddys "96ci s&s big bore etc etc etc"....nail ed him every light , gotta love these bikes man !

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have owned 4 HD and a number of other bikes. I had been salivating over a Heritage Classic for some years and swore to buy one. Last spring I had some money in my pocket and went looking. After riding a couple of HD Classics I decided it was time to check some of the other V twins out. I had heard of the Victory but never seen or road one. A dealer showed me one and suggested I take a ride on a used one. Once I rode one that was it, I started looking for a Victory and ended up with a 04 KP. I really like it and have had no second thoughts.
I also own an 80 Sporty but it feels like the thrashing machine in comparison. Still its a fun bike but my butt fits the KP best. HD is not the only producer of V-twins and there are a lot of good ones out there. When you ride - ride what you want and don't be concerned with others or their opinions.

·
Registered
154 Posts
had to chime in

after drooling over a 2010 street glide and saving a down payment up for a year... I went in and asked for a test ride at local HD. They frowned and said, we don't do that. They offered to "rent" me one for $350 for the weekend though. I saw an ad for Victory, saying they welcomed you to come down for a test ride. After the ride, I was sold...then when I was told OTD price, I signed the purchase order. Got my 2011 XC for $5k less that the year older street glide I thought I wanted.

While I don't begrudge the hd FANATICS...I do hope they are as happy with theirs, as I am with my ride!

·
Registered
4 Posts
S&S air intake. Mustang seat with back rest, may not be sporty looking, but sure is comfortable!
Don

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have a 2007 vegas 8/ball very happy with it, get lots of compliments from other riders no regreats buying it.ride on rider

·
Registered
92 Posts
late 2010 i was in the market for a new bike, the Rocket III was leading, Yamaha Raider, Suzuki M106 SE came next, then i went to the HD dealer just to make shure that i wasnt lefting out something good, the seller showed up like 20 or something minutes before i arrived with a look in his face that was nothing more than indefference, annoyance with a bit of superiority!! i didnt get mad or anything, i wasnt going to let somebody ruin my search for my perfect bike, we talked... i told him what i was looking for and he didnt even know what a Rocket III was or he didnt care.... then i scheduled for the next day a test ride on 4 bikes, i showed up with a grin in my face and willing to enjoy the test, i didnt rode any of the bikes for more than 15 minutes, it was just not right, unconfortable, slow, cluncky, etc etc etc plus when i came back my girlfriend toll me that the seller was hitting on her!!:confused: WTF i jumped in the car and never looked back, i was going to pay cash! they loosed my business and a i got i 1000 times better bike

a few weeks later i rode my friends Vegas i did my homework and i was sold, then i found this 2010 Kingpin and i was in love instantaneously!! i doesnt get better than this cheers

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I wanted a Harley. I liked the comfort of the Road King, but wanted more performance. And I did not like the ergonomics nor was I crazy about the looks of the VRod. It was supposed to be my dream bike, but I was left wanting more. All that changed when I learned about Victory and its new XR. I have made a list of three bikes, and done my research over a period of six months. At all times, the XR remained at the top of my list.

Now that I've owned it for almost a year, the only bike I would replace it with is another XR. It fits all my needs to perfection. I sure hope this bike lasts for a very long time, as I'm totally in love with it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts