Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At work yesterday I was talking to someone about how it was so nice to get a ride in on my bike the day before. This guy chimes in and asks what kind of bike I have. I told him it's a Victory. His wife said "He really wants one of those." He said he had a couple Harley's and had to let one go last year. He went on to say "He would love to have a Victory." "They are just beautiful bikes." I could see in his wife's eye's that this is a bad subject as he REALLY wants one lol.

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
I talked to a guy with a Honda that said the exact same thing.

Reactions: half_crazy

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
The results of HD and Polaris sales last year were recently published. Polaris is up and HD is down. I guess more and more people are looking at the Victory and Indian as a viable alternative to HD. My hope is this will force HD to re-engineer the weak points in their engines and over build them like Victory does rather than to barely build them.

A couple of years ago a Street Glide rider I knew bought a newer version. I asked him why he didn't step up a notch and buy an XC. The look in his eyes were not exactly kind and his girl friend was pissed at me for saying it. I was right of course (IMHO) but I shouldn't have said that. His new pretty red metallic SG was really nice looking as are most HD's.

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
You wanna gob-smack a Harley Kool-Aid drinker? Ask him if the engine of his bike was installed into an airplane, would he fly in it? Watch him squirm.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
some honest riders

there are a lot of riders that just like motorcycles, regardless of brand they give an honest opinion. the two harley owners that i let ride my hammer were surprised after riding as i was, both could ot believe how light it felt + its great handling. the biggest downfall is lack of advertizing + dealers IMO. when i bought my 06 porkster i traded on the hammer i did not know anything about Vic's. i care less about local dealers as i do enjoy doing my own work + enjoy a better bike more than the acceptance of other harley guys. my other outcast is a bonneville a great standard bike for little money!!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Most of the "die hard" HD guys I know seem to have one thing in common, they are not too high on the intelligence scale. Same goes with those who are die hard ford, or chevy or what have you. Has never made since to me, even when I was a teenager lusting after all of these cars/trucks/motorcycles made by different companies. To me at the end of the day they are just companies who want my money. I work hard for my money so the company that gives me the most product for the least amount of money and good reliability is who is gonna get that money. I like my XR but I don't give a damn about Polaris the company and when it is time for my next ride it will again be the bike that gives me the most for the least amount of money.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
dollar value

competition is good, bring better products at fair prices. with Polaris branded bikes putting a kink in the pocketbook of Mr big!! when there is no competition you get what prescription drugs are overprice + protected buy the government from the "grease jobs $$$" politicians get to make laws to protect even drugs that kill, thank god motorcycles are different

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I started looking for my bike I knew I wanted a big V-twin. I originally thought it would be a HD as I knew no better. Once I started looking and researching I knew it had to be a Victory. Nothing against HD but the bikes just called to me. A friend told me "look for something that makes you smile every time you see it parked in your garage." I did just that.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Yeah Dill I strongly relate to that,
Old tech and new tyres all the way!

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
Brand loyalty is a form of blindness. I buy what works for me regardless of brands. And none of my clothes have "brand names." To me, it's silly and a waste of money cuz they charge much more for Gucci than Mr. Goodwrench.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I blame my departed brother for my out look. Way back in the 50's he rode a BSA single from Tampa Fl to Detroit when he was in the USAF. I lived with him some during my teen years, he drove VW back then in the early 70's. I got turned on to drag racing VW's and rallying, off road type stuff. Later on when I started driving and drag racing I thought the station wagons running in classes were cool. I mean heck moms grocery getter beating some sporty 2 door sports car? So I have kind of always went a different route. When asked what I am riding or "is that a Harley"? I say nope its the other American made motorcycle.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With you on that djh3. The one time I said "it's the other American made V-twin." I was asked "but what about Indian?" LOL. Didn't feel like getting into the well they are both made by the same company conversation.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
i really enjoy not having just another harley!!! whenever i go where there are a lot of bikes i enjoy checkin then out, all but harleys as few are very different!! seeing another vic is like seeing a naked you know what! well almost as excitable!!!! Vision's really draw a crowd among the sea of harleys!!! they are pretty neat but seem so big, but when an old workmate a bit lighter than i walked up to one, his that is it surely surprised me!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I can say two years ago I was in the dark, not many Victorys here in Alaska. And I was riding jap bikes. I had saved and got my credit up and been waiting all winter for the new spring HD lineup. Talking with a buddy one day he says his brother has a victory for sale and I should check it out. Now I was set on a new HD so blew him off for about a month. When I finally saw it it was love at first sight.... I love my highball, and since learning what victory has to offer its my opinion almost all of thier models are more stylish than most HD, the fact I can buy them cheaper is just a odd bonus that I try not too question and just enjoy

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
...My hope is this will force HD to re-engineer the weak points in their engines and over build them like Victory does rather than to barely build them.
Perhaps they are already doing that. Check the new Harley-Davidson "S" Series. They come with a 110ci Twin-Cam engine.

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
Perhaps they are already doing that. Check the new Harley-Davidson "S" Series. They come with a 110ci Twin-Cam engine.
From what I read; there are a lot of problems with the 110. Can't speak to the S series. What's different about them?

Some big problems with today's HD big twins is their pressed cranks which can and do slip, the huge tolerance on the end of the cranks which forces spring loaded or hydraulic cam followers although the hydraulic type are better, and the low flow and pressure of the oil pump.

To fix these shortcomings requires a full dis assembly of the engine and replacement of many parts costing around $6k. You can get a ready to run S&S for around the same price which is a better product. If HD built their engines to match S&S specs; they would again have a quality product to match the times. Of course they would have to push the price up a grand or two but I think most people would be happy to pay it in exchange for a reliable and powerful big twin motor.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
All the S models are is the addition of the 110 motor into a variety of models.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
The local Indian/Slingshot/4-wheeler/ and a few Vics dealership were giving away a scout and giving out free food so I went on down. Didn't win the scout but did fill up on the free food. It was kind of sad to me being in there, it reminded me of the two local HD dealerships on a Saturday. Lots of older couples walking around with brand new Indian gear and promoting the new local Indian Riding Club chapter. I think Polaris did very well acquiring the Indian name because I think they are going to sell the crap out of them to mainly older gentlemen with lots of disposable income which is HD's biggest demographic. I have always been a little different and do not follow the crowd so my Vic is sort of a reflection of my personality. I just fear that we will see the end of Victory, especially big Vic cruisers.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts