Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to the forum. This may be a dumb question but i had to ask. In what manner do you wash your bike? Drench it with a hose and wash like a car or give it a sponge bath? the reason i ask i did hose drenching with my 04 vegas once and i ended up gettin water into my motor via the air box. had too change the oil 2 more times ontop of the oil change i did before washing it.:mad: Just figured id ask.And is there any other danger i should watch for if i do hose method in the future.Thanx.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Well you do need to take care around the air box. I soak my scoot. Have you tried s100

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
DO NOT pressure wash. cheers

·
Registered
264 Posts
I wipe my bikes down with a wet cloth about once a week. Unless I ride through rain, I usually only wash my bike once or twice per year. I'll use a hose with very low pressure to just get the bike wet while trying to keep the water off the engine and seat. I'll then use a soapy sponge to get the dirt off, use the low pressure water hose again and then dry everything off and take the bike for a ride to further air dry it. Never had any issues and have been doing it this way for at least a decade.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Oh yeah for when I don't wash it, i use lemon pledge. It's ok, you have to buff it Well thought

·
Registered
125 Posts
I use a $100 bill. I give it to the chick at my local bike shop and voila, a clean bike. This is why I seldom wash my bike. :D

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
I never use a hose and instead use a spray bottle with water for the body and a 75/25 water/simple green solution for the grimy parts only if needed.

I also regularly use spray polish and a good wax.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I use a hose several times a year. Like most have warned, be careful that you don't use high pressure solid streams especially in certain areas. Not only do you have to be careful around the air box by also around wire bundles and joints that have grease (swing arm, steering head). In between I wipe it down with a detailer like Turtle Wax ICE or Lemon pledge.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
The first and last time I washed with a hose my bike ended up back at the dealer to replace the PCV/AT. Also got water around the plugs and into the cylinder head...somehow. Had to change the oil twice just to be comfortable that I was okay.

Now, spray bottle with soap and water only.

·
Registered
931 Posts

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Go to your local auto parts emporium, grab a trigger spray bottle of detailer. I like Turtlewax's ICE spray detailer cuz its clear and leaves no white traces. Spray it on the bike or directly on a fluffy microfiber cloth and wipe to a sheen.
If just dusty, wipe the dust off with the fluffy microfiber cloth (available from Griot's Garage).
If real gungy, haul the hose out, spray the wheels, engine and suspension with S100 and rinse, rinse, rinse. Clean the rest with a wet cloth/dry towel routine.
I don't like hosing the topside of a bike cuz that can drown the electrics.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies. so now i know i wasnt wasting my time with a sponge bath.I will definitely take the tips from this and use them.I dont mind taking 3hrs. to clean her. a few beers and some tunes and all is well. thanks again.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I don't know why so many are afraid to use a water hose. If the bike can't handle a low pressure water hose how is it going to handle a downpour when out riding. I have been caught in 3 good down pours over the last few weeks and just kept on riding like I did with my old bike and no problems with any electrical items. If there does become problems then this is not the bike for me because I ride the rain quite often in the summer months. As far as cleaning I usually use a water hose, wash mit, and car wash soap after riding in the rain. When I just want the dust off the rear portion and bugs off the front I use Meguiars quick detail and a microfiber. Just plain water on my windshield.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I don't know why so many are afraid to use a water hose. If the bike can't handle a low pressure water hose how is it going to handle a downpour when out riding. I have been caught in 3 good down pours over the last few weeks and just kept on riding like I did with my old bike and no problems with any electrical items. If there does become problems then this is not the bike for me because I ride the rain quite often in the summer months. As far as cleaning I usually use a water hose, wash mit, and car wash soap after riding in the rain. When I just want the dust off the rear portion and bugs off the front I use Meguiars quick detail and a microfiber. Just plain water on my windshield.
I was just waiting for someone to bring this up. how do you ride a bike you are afraid of getting wet?:confused:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I washed the High-Ball in 20 minutes. Spray down with S100 solution and some simple green solution on the white walls. Let it work for a few minutes, rinse off, blow dry with the trusty Toro leaf blower. Grab beer. Call it done. Whew such work! :)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
DO NOT pressure wash. cheers
I have observed these bikes being washed at more than one dealer with a pressure washer .... if a dealer can do it, why shouldn't I ??? :ltr: :crzy:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I washed the High-Ball in 20 minutes. Spray down with S100 solution and some simple green solution on the white walls. Let it work for a few minutes, rinse off, blow dry with the trusty Toro leaf blower. Grab beer. Call it done. Whew such work! :)

I guess I will chime in, hot soapy water ,sponge, 50 % simple green for the hard to reach spots hose off with garden hose. I blow off with the stihl blower or air compressor. Or have the grand kids do it they think it is still fun. Towel off the easy spots. I carry a bottle of McGuires detailer and micro towels on the road.cheers

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow. had no idea there were so many different methods to washing a bike.will have to try a few and see what works best for me.:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts