Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my wife and I took a ride up in our neck of the woods on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We decided to take a different way home after lunch. So we are cruising down the road at 65 and there is a car in front of me in the left lane and a bike ( Harley) in front of me in the same lane about 100 yards ahead. All of a sudden i see he front end shake like hell. This was doing for about 10 secs then boom, he goes over the handle bars and starts rolling down the road. His bike close behind him. I stopped and the car in the other lane stopped. I was an EMT in college ( A LONG TIME AGO) and i always carry a first aid kit on the bike and in my truck. When i got to the guy, he was pretty well beat up and bleeding. I ended up using all the bandages I had and to stop the bleeding from his collar bone( sticking through the skin). The poor guy also had a concussion too. but all in all he fared pretty good considering his speed when that tire blew. Oh yea.. the thing that really blew me away was.. when i was talking to him.. i asked his name.. Carter... told him .. Im Jim.... then looked at his feet. NO f**KING SHOES ???? I said Carter where are your shoes. He said I wore flip flops. My wife and I looked at each other. So flip flops, shorts, and a tee shirt. I whispered to my wife . " If this guy didnt already have a concussion, I would bitch slap him for not wearing pants and boots at least.
The cop came up to me and said where is his shoes and i pointed to the flip flops on the other side of the road. Cop said well at least he had a helmet on.

This guys wife called me late this morning thanking my wife and I for helping and to give me an update. He indeed had a broken collar bone, concussion and serious road rash on every uncovered part of his body but will be fine.

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
You sir are a stand up guy if I'm ever in a bad way I hope someone just like you is there to help me. If you lived close I would buy you a beer, a shot, cup of tea and lunch for what you did.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Kinda saw the same thing happen to a guy out west in one of the passes in the northeast corner of Utah. We stopped at a rest area and there was four guys on bikes there stopped and the one had the rear tire off and must of been doing a patch or plug. Fast forward I would say about a hour or so and all of a sudden we get dusted by all four of these guys, they had to of blown past us at every bit of 100+ if not more, cause I remember looking at speedo in our car and I was at 85. So as the last guy gets past us and in front of us by about 50 yards I start to see the bike bucking back and fourth and shreds of tire flying all over the place....He stayed on the bike and was able to get pulled over. We stopped and asked if he needed help but his friends where already turned around and headed back to him. Bike to bike intercoms are a very good invest.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Yesterday my wife and I took a ride up in our neck of the woods on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We decided to take a different way home after lunch. So we are cruising down the road at 65 and there is a car in front of me in the left lane and a bike ( Harley) in front of me in the same lane about 100 yards ahead. All of a sudden i see he front end shake like hell. This was doing for about 10 secs then boom, he goes over the handle bars and starts rolling down the road. His bike close behind him. I stopped and the car in the other lane stopped. I was an EMT in college ( A LONG TIME AGO) and i always carry a first aid kit on the bike and in my truck. When i got to the guy, he was pretty well beat up and bleeding. I ended up using all the bandages I had and to stop the bleeding from his collar bone( sticking through the skin). The poor guy also had a concussion too. but all in all he fared pretty good considering his speed when that tire blew. Oh yea.. the thing that really blew me away was.. when i was talking to him.. i asked his name.. Carter... told him .. Im Jim.... then looked at his feet. NO f**KING SHOES ???? I said Carter where are your shoes. He said I wore flip flops. My wife and I looked at each other. So flip flops, shorts, and a tee shirt. I whispered to my wife . " If this guy didnt already have a concussion, I would bitch slap him for not wearing pants and boots at least.
The cop came up to me and said where is his shoes and i pointed to the flip flops on the other side of the road. Cop said well at least he had a helmet on.

This guys wife called me late this morning thanking my wife and I for helping and to give me an update. He indeed had a broken collar bone, concussion and serious road rash on every uncovered part of his body but will be fine.
Give him time to recover and then go and slap him around.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the chills reading your post JPokerwinski.
I feel sorry for the guy.

A word to the wise NEVER use the brakes on the wheel that has a blow out Never.
I totally agree @visionjohnny worst thing you can do

·
Registered
827 Posts
I had a rear blow-out on my shovelhead back in the mid 80's. We were 2 up with a sisibar full of camping gear. I remember passing a few cars and then going over a short bridge. I started to feel bumpy, bumpy, bump like a tracker treads on the road. I looked down and the road was smooth. Then the bike rear end started swinging quickly from yellow line to the white line. I pulled the clutch in and the bike slowly started straightening out. Every time the rear swung to the right, I moved that way a little bit. There was grass in the shoulder. There were a few on coming cars to the left. I started feathering the front brake and got the bike slowed down from 60 to maybe 10. I shifted to 1st and dump the clutch and skidded to stop. I had kept it up. A guy on a bike had been back a few cars back, said wow, you kept it up. He had a 17" tube. I had a 16" rim with the side valve stem. We put it in anyway. It only got us about 10 miles back towards town before we could hear it loosing air. We found a little side road to pull off.
It was Memorial Weekend. I figured we were going to be camping on the other side of the barb wire fence. Back then, people stopped to see if they could help. I took a ride with one couple to a little town about 15 miles away to use the payphone. I had no luck and bought some food for our field camp and went back to the bike. The girlfriend and the other gal had stayed with the bike. We stayed there 3 or 4 more hours and more people stopped to see if they could help. I told them; the only help we needed was a Harley motorcycle tube. Then a couple came from the gravel road we were parked on. He said his friend had a small motorcycle shop in Madras, Oregon ( 30+ miles away). He came back with the correct tube and a bicycle pump. I had the spoons.
I ran that lucky tube for 2 tires.

"A word to the wise NEVER use the brakes on the wheel that has a blow out Never."

·
Registered
483 Posts
Great job!

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Me too, Me too!

I had the rear blow out on my '`4, VV, once. Talk 'bout a stable ride! It bucked a little but, for the most part, it just vibrated a lot. No uncontrollable wiggling or terrible forceful pushing. Just vibrating that got worse as I drove faster. I rode the carcass 2 miles to a Harley shop where they refused to fix it but, would put it up for the night (as it was closin' time on a Sunday night). Nice, real nice, people at Sacramento Harley Davidson.

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
Love ready your storry... I carry many things in my bags, most for other people helping if needed to be...

Ok it is PRETTY @$"=!? HOT where I live.... I wear full gear 95% of the time, and coz of it is Impossible to wear a full face helmet on a CCT coz of buffeting, I actually for the first time in my life have a half helmet....

Anyway... Wear your gear...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

Reactions: JPokerwinski

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had the rear blow out on my '`4, VV, once. Talk 'bout a stable ride! It bucked a little but, for the most part, it just vibrated a lot. No uncontrollable wiggling or terrible forceful pushing. Just vibrating that got worse as I drove faster. I rode the carcass 2 miles to a Harley shop where they refused to fix it but, would put it up for the night (as it was closin' time on a Sunday night). Nice, real nice, people at Sacramento Harley Davidson.
Refused to fix it.

Sounds like a nice bunch of folks, for sure.

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
Ohhhh forgot to say, I had a rear flat with 200 km per hour, it was COLD, so I tought it was ice when slowing down, just a wobbly bounce... Then I looked at the rear when 80 km/h and saw the flat....

If it would be the front guess the ending wasn't that nice...

PS how can you "blow" a tubeless tire? Ok just Googled it and came up with WikiHow

m.wikihow.com/Handle-a-Tire-Blowout-While-Riding-a-Motorcycle

How to Handle a Tire Blowout While Riding a Motorcycle

Tubeless tires for motorcycles are becoming an industry standard and make blowouts less likely to happen. If a blowout does happen, there's not a lot of time to make a decision. Go over what you should do in the event of a blowout before sitting on a motorcycle. Review these steps on how to safely handle a tire blowout while riding a motorcycle to protect yourself, protect others and preserve the life of your motorcycle.

Etc etc etc
Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
569 Posts
Great Job, Good man!

This reminds me why I carry a first aid and trauma kit on my bike, you never know. FYI the trauma kit is something we carry on duty at work that was developed for the military called a downed operator kit (DOK). It contains quick clot, chest seals (for sucking chest wounds), a tourniquet and all the field dressings you could imagine. We have had at least 3 officers lives saved with tourniquets in the past few years because the kits were in the field and we had training. The kits are a bit expensive ($150+) but to save a life is priceless.

Reactions: JPokerwinski

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great Job, Good man!

This reminds me why I carry a first aid and trauma kit on my bike, you never know. FYI the trauma kit is something we carry on duty at work that was developed for the military called a downed operator kit (DOK). It contains quick clot, chest seals (for sucking chest wounds), a tourniquet and all the field dressings you could imagine. We have had at least 3 officers lives saved with tourniquets in the past few years because the kits were in the field and we had training. The kits are a bit expensive ($150+) but to save a life is priceless.

yea the military taught me to be prepare and expect the unexpected. and oh yea Toilet paper and duct tape !

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story. I would say he is pretty lucky! Glad there are still people like you out there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for sharing your story. I would say he is pretty lucky! Glad there are still people like you out there!

Thanks but there are good people out there willing to help. My training from years ago and the Corp taught me to always help a brother

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Thanks but there are good people out there willing to help. My training from years ago and the Corp taught me to always help a brother
Semper Fi! I wish you would have been around when I went down. I played hell trying to get these people that stopped to not move me. I would have definitely died.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My wife and my son are both RN's.. wife has always brought a decent kit with her when we went bike camping. When she went down and broke her back.. she wasn't breathing and was in a bad way. My son who had just graduated and hadn't worked a day yet as a nurse got her stabilized and breathing again in the middle of the road. The WORTHLESS ambulance drivers wanted to do all kinds of stupid **** when they finally arrived.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
My wife and my son are both RN's.. wife has always brought a decent kit with her when we went bike camping. When she went down and broke her back.. she wasn't breathing and was in a bad way. My son who had just graduated and hadn't worked a day yet as a nurse got her stabilized and breathing again in the middle of the road. The WORTHLESS ambulance drivers wanted to do all kinds of stupid **** when they finally arrived.
I am sorry. I hope she is doing better now.

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
Serious ??? Is she OK now? Please update from broken back until today... Can she walk?

Ride safe all...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts