Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Victory Octane
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me what you think it is...

I double checked the oil level and coolant after the bike took a sh*t... both were fine.

I could understand this happening if I was hard on the engine but this was not the case.

Can anyone guess what the sound is slightly before the engine cuts out?

Watch the video by clicking here

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
The camera showed a date of 2013-10-20. That was 7 years ago. The sound sounded like something thrashed internally.

·
Registered
2017 Victory Octane
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The camera showed a date of 2013-10-20. That was 7 years ago. The sound sounded like something thrashed internally.
Yeah sorry about time stamp and date, I didn't have time to set it before riding.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Somebody left a 10mm socket in the bottom.

(actually I tried to download the video a few time with no luck)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I could not d/l the video either.

·
Registered
2017 Victory Octane
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Somebody left a 10mm socket in the bottom.

(actually I tried to download the video a few time with no luck)
Thats almost what it sounded like, lol. It was a metallic sound like something shattering/coming apart.

·
Administrator
5,999 Posts
You could cut most of the video and only post the 10 seconds where it happens. Youtube will take it. ;-)

Reactions: BP6666VR

·
Premium Member
6,384 Posts
You could cut most of the video and only post the 10 seconds where it happens. Youtube will take it. ;-)
Can't watch the video also, agree, just upload the video to Youtube

You cannot ride a vic too hard as it is all electronically limited, RPM, speed, acceleration, bla bla

Please upload the video, we all wanne see this

Once I seen in the vic workshop a main bearing overheat on a new victorys with 500 kilometers on the clock.

Sent from my CPH1937 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,384 Posts
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

or CLICK HERE TO WATCH ON YOUTUBE

Thanks for sharing, some questions

1. Are you the first owner
2. Bought from a dealer new or second hand ?
3. Was the motor ever opened ?
4. Are you having any mods, PC5 or air filter etc

This sounds bad .... But that main bearing failure I told about got a new motor from Polanus ...

Remove all goedies go fast, make the bike stock again then go to the dealership where you bought it ?

·
Registered
2017 Victory Octane
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im guessing Cam Chain or
Thanks for sharing, some questions

1. Are you the first owner
2. Bought from a dealer new or second hand ?
3. Was the motor ever opened ?
4. Are you having any mods, PC5 or air filter etc

This sounds bad .... But that main bearing failure I told about got a new motor from Polanus ...

Remove all goedies go fast, make the bike stock again then go to the dealership where you bought it ?
  1. I'm not the first owner, I acquired the bike after the original owner put 600 miles on it.
  2. I purchased it from the owner directly, not a dealership.
  3. There are no signs of the motor ever being opened or even wrenched on besides the oil drain plug. Other than installing a battery tender pigtail, everything appears to be stock. I haven't had the chance to remove the gas tank to look underneath for aftermarket parts.
  4. I haven't installed any mods myself personally. I've been trying to contact the prior owner for the past 2 days, he hasn't responded to any of my text messages or calls.
I was able to verify from a dealership that the bike has an extended warranty tied to its VIN. I was told it can be transferred to my name for a $45 fee as long as I do it within 30 days of purchase. The deductible is a whopping $50 which I can't complain about, hopefully the policy will cover whatever went wrong with the engine.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Good luck, keep us informed.

·
Administrator
5,999 Posts
Are you able to shift gears?

·
Registered
2017 Victory Octane
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
How good are the stock cam chains and tensioners?

I know on my GSXR they were weak, changing over to an aftermarket manual adjustment helped tremendously.

If one of the chains broke or slipped a few teeth that would cause the valves to float open correct? If that happened, what are the chances of the valves and piston not being bent and/or damaged?

That might be the reason why the starter doesn't want to crank, the pistons can't fully travel due to the valves being in the way.

·
Administrator
5,999 Posts
If you ever wanted a good excuse to do cams... this might be it. Have cams ready to be dropped in for whoever opens 'er up. Unfortunately that might be the only way to diagnose what happened here. Whatever failure you experienced is not common, and that's the reason you're probably not getting much feedback on what it could be.

·
Premium Member
6,384 Posts
Im guessing Cam Chain or

1. I'm not the first owner, I acquired the bike after the original owner put 600 miles on it.
  2. I purchased it from the owner directly, not a dealership.
  3. There are no signs of the motor ever being opened or even wrenched on besides the oil drain plug. Other than installing a battery tender pigtail, everything appears to be stock. I haven't had the chance to remove the gas tank to look underneath for aftermarket parts.
  4. I haven't installed any mods myself personally. I've been trying to contact the prior owner for the past 2 days, he hasn't responded to any of my text messages or calls.
I was able to verify from a dealership that the bike has an extended warranty tied to its VIN. I was told it can be transferred to my name for a $45 fee as long as I do it within 30 days of purchase. The deductible is a whopping $50 which I can't complain about, hopefully the policy will cover whatever went wrong with the engine.
The dealership that helped you with the VIN and extend warranty has a good heart, that's the way forward

You don't need the previous owner now

Hope the dealer is allowed to open the engine for detail picture to Polaris, then they must send the engine to polaris and you could get a new engine ....

At least that's how it went with that Victory in Batam Island Indonesia

Timespan 12 months so for you 6 months

I got a new rear fender and had to send the old one, timespan 6 months

Keep us updated , love reading information like that

·
Registered
2017 Victory Octane
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The dealership that helped you with the VIN and extend warranty has a good heart, that's the way forward

You don't need the previous owner now

Hope the dealer is allowed to open the engine for detail picture to Polaris, then they must send the engine to polaris and you could get a new engine ....

At least that's how it went with that Victory in Batam Island Indonesia

Timespan 12 months so for you 6 months

I got a new rear fender and had to send the old one, timespan 6 months

Keep us updated , love reading information like that
Thanks for the input! I agree on the dealership manager having a good heart, he seemed to be a nice guy in general.

The part thats irritating is I am spending more on a one-way car rental for a trip I was planning to take on the Octane. Im helping my parents move out to Vegas from New Mexico and was planning on pulling the bike up in the moving truck once I get there since I'm the one driving the truck back.. It would of saved me hundreds of $$$ in rental fees and gas. Grrrrz...:cautious:

I'm still shocked on the bike breaking down in the first place. I'm trying to decide if I should keep it after all of this. With the Victory line being shut down and the Octane line being discontinued...it might be a battle for parts in the future.

There are 3 questions going through my mind at this point...

1. Will the discontinuation of the Octane lead to the bike losing value or gaining as time progresses?

2. Will the cost of parts increase and be more difficult to obtain in the future?

3. Would it be easier and better in the long run to trade it in or sell it for another bike after its fixed?

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
2,083 Posts
No idea on the value no one knows what the future holds. I don't buy bikes for their resell value they are toys to use.

Parts so far cost is not bad at all. Same as when Victory line was still running. Accessories on the other hand is all supply and demand and a little luck. Not a lot of octane made so even less accessories out there on used market compared to other Victory models. Probably can get creative with modifying stuff to fit if you can't find bolt on accessories.

You can trade it or sell it that is up to you. If you get it fixed up it will probably run for years with no problems.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts