Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the really stupid question.

I swapped out the stock mufflers for some Big Honkers. Took about 100 miles for the nice deep grumble to set in. At first start... they were only a bit louder than the stock.

That appears to be normal. What is a little odd is that the majority of the smoke (and a lot of water now) is coming almost exsclusively from the left pipe. There is exhaust coming from the right... it has plenty of pressure to it, too. But for some reason, after the swap the left side seems to be getting more action.

The bike appears to run fine (actually can see a bit of an increase in pick up around the 3000 rpm range).

Is all this normal? If so, I'll just shut up and enjoy it (I will anyway after the frigging thaw :grin)

Thank you for helping a Victory noob.

·
13,002 Posts
its normal. Think of all the cars you have seen dripping water.
Hot exhaust hets cold air makes water.
The way our exhaust is designed yes you get more out of left side till you get up in the rpms

·
Registered
4,068 Posts

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
Ill interpret for VJ....In cold weather, when you shut down an engine, cold air creeps into the exhaust and condensation builds up. When you restart, the heat of the exhaust vaporizes what water isn't blown out by the pressure, hence the "smoke." Its also a byproduct of the combustion process. This is why short runs should be discouraged in winter, it causes pipes to eventually rust out. Another reason not to fire up your bike unless you are going to go riding long enough to get it up to operating temps for a while. Cars have had stainless systems for a long time now, so rusting muffles is almost a thing of the past with them.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Cars have had stainless systems for a long time now, so rusting muffles is almost a thing of the past with them.
is that just something they do in oregon or what? cause any of the mufflers/exhaust systems i have had on my last few cars have been cheap pieces of **** metal that inevitably rusts out in a couple years... maybe the salt has something to do with it, but they certainly don't look anything like stainless... take a trip through central ny and see how many mufflers you see on the side of the road or just plain falling apart on the car... lol

·
Registered
471 Posts
is that just something they do in oregon or what? cause any of the mufflers/exhaust systems i have had on my last few cars have been cheap pieces of **** metal that inevitably rusts out in a couple years... maybe the salt has something to do with it, but they certainly don't look anything like stainless... take a trip through central ny and see how many mufflers you see on the side of the road or just plain falling apart on the car... lol
That's just New York, it sucks the life out of everything

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
MM, you have a point...we do not use salt here. The few times the Skid Demon rares his head, they spray with a non toxic, non corrosive chemical. Remember, they don't call this the left coast for nothing, ya know. Maybe because it rains here all the time (are you Californians paying attention?) cars come equipped with stainless exhaust systems.

·
Registered
533 Posts
That's just New York, it sucks the life out of everything
damn isn't that the bloody truth!!!!!

MM, you have a point...we do not use salt here. The few times the Skid Demon rares his head, they spray with a non toxic, non corrosive chemical. Remember, they don't call this the left coast for nothing, ya know. Maybe because it rains here all the time (are you Californians paying attention?) cars come equipped with stainless exhaust systems.
honestly i wish they would do that here too, but with the salt under and around Syracuse and Ithaca i don't envision it happening any time soon.. plus it give the fuzz something to pull us over for "ineffective/missing muffler" tickets.. lol

but back to the thread topic, i have had it since i did the exhaust on my hammer as well, and that was tuned at the dealership, even run on a dyno to make sure everything was up to snuff. most days i don't have anything out of either, but on cooler mornings/nights i will get some condensation until its up to operating temps.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Salt Lake City

You want to see salt on the roads?

Here they spray salt water on the roads before the storm! And they do right up to May!

Ruins everything!

But back to the OP, my left pipe also is the one that the most water comes out of as all the other posts mentioned and also because the cross over pipe that goes under the drive belt is the lowest point.

It's all good bud, no worries.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
its normal, and you will notice a little less low end response with the honkers.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
All muffs corrode as they age:frown

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
A catalytic converter creates water vapor. If you idle a car for a long enough to and hit the gas water will come out of the muffler. Water out of the exhaust is normal. Left side, I bet you are looking at the bike while its on the side stand and sitting lower.

"Catalytic converters are used in exhaust systems to provide a site for the oxidation and reduction of toxic by-products (like nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, and hydrocarbons) of fuel into less hazardous substances such as carbon dioxide, water vapor, and nitrogen gas."

Catalytic Converters - Chemwiki

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
Even without cats, water is a byproduct of combustion. Seen is since the 1930s you whipper snapper.

·
Registered
436 Posts
When I had my stock pipes there was a lot of smoke(steam) and dripping from both pipes for the first few minutes on cool/cold days. I got the D&Ds and no more steam or dripping. I think it may be because of straight thru design and larger over all flo dimensions.

Still very happy with the D&Ds - low quiet rumble until you open her up - then a roar - best of both worlds, best pipes I've had and the best bike...:smile

1 - 17 of 17 Posts