Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
481 - 500 of 522 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I didn't think y'all had such extreme heat up there.

Some of the places here are inland and in deep valleys within various various mountain ranges. The lack of wind in some locales lets the heat build and build. The 49C was a record but not that far off the previous one. Their average for July is 28C.

We too, along with many other locations, set heat records last week. We hit 44C on three thermostats but the official recording site down the hill got to 42C (108F). Our average is for July is 20C (68F) so that heat dome had a higher impact. Because of our average, not many places have air conditioning. Most of the restaurants in the area had to shut down because the heat build up inside was dangerous to work in.

There were 368 "sudden deaths" in the province last weekend. Three times the average which the heat surely contributed to.

PS. Just remembered about a comment from my son in law who is a fireman. Something he and others had never seen before was fires, 6 in his area, that started in bathroom ceiling fans. People were using the ceiling fans to try and blow out some of the heat. Those fans can be in place for years, decades, without ever failing. Most people never even clean them out and dust will build up inside. Running them for an extended period of time with all that dirt and dust overheated them and started the fluff on fire which then gets into the ceiling. I have an annual to-do list and checking those fans is one of the things on it. If you haven't pulled off the cover in a long time you might want to do a quick check. Takes 2 minutes.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
2,977 Posts
PS. Just remembered about a comment from my son in law who is a fireman. Something he and others had never seen before was fires, 6 in his area, that started in bathroom ceiling fans. People were using the ceiling fans to try and blow out some of the heat. Those fans can be in place for years, decades, without ever failing. Most people never even clean them out and dust will build up inside. Running them for an extended period of time with all that dirt and dust overheated them and started the fluff on fire which then gets into the ceiling. I have an annual to-do list and checking those fans is one of the things on it. If you haven't pulled off the cover in a long time you might want to do a quick check. Takes 2 minutes.
That's a good idea to add to the list in addition to vacuuming out the dryer and dryer venting.

Reactions: CanuckRob

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
That's a good idea to add to the list in addition to vacuuming out the dryer and dryer venting.
I used to do the dryer venting yearly at my last house and often pulled out dehydrated mice in the lint. This house has a built-in dryer and it's difficult to get to the vent. I do vacuum out the inside of the trap and check outside that I can feel a forceful exhaust. I think this year I'll make the extra effort to check what I have or try and figure out some way to change the routing. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I bought a skinny hose to clean the dryer on Amazon. Got large amount of lint out of it that got past the filter.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
We're expecting near 110 and above for the next month and a half. Monsoons too. Not my favorite time of year but it won't last long.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
String of 90+ days here.
Did I mention I'm happy to finally have central air again? :)

Reactions: NAB

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Just went through some of that weather and hate it. I didn't sleep more that a couple of hours at a time. Hope you find ways to keep cool and stay healthy.

Frankly, I'm much more comfortable outside at -20C (-4F) than I am at 30C (86F).

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #489 ·
I used to do the dryer venting yearly at my last house and often pulled out dehydrated mice in the lint. This house has a built-in dryer and it's difficult to get to the vent. I do vacuum out the inside of the trap and check outside that I can feel a forceful exhaust. I think this year I'll make the extra effort to check what I have or try and figure out some way to change the routing. Thanks for the reminder.
We just bought a new washer and drier. The old drier had a short electrical line and I had to pull the washer out to unplug the drier. It was a big hassle the washer was a front in loading machine an weighed several hundred pounds. The new drier has a long electrical cord and no problems getting behind it. The washer is a top loader, it uses more water than the front end loader, but it gets the close much cleaner. Plus you can do bigger loads.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Supposed to hit 111F here today

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #491 ·
High today in the mid 80's, overcast right now. Clearing off and mostly sunny later with low winds. We have been 15 degrees below average temperatures this summer.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
heading to 90 and sunny here today stormed really bad pretty much all night

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
66 here this morning and it says that's as high as it's gonna get today....rained off and on and calling for rain next 3 days.

Reactions: IndyVictory

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
90+ here again. It was storming this morning so didn't ride into work. Been sunny all day and probably sunny all the way home. Oh well.
Might risk the rain tomorrow if it's not raining in morning.

Reactions: CanuckRob

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #496 ·
High around 86 degrees, 10 to 15 mph winds out of the South. 50% chance of rain and overcast, hope we get a inch this evening. Otherwise I'll have to start watering and next Saturday I have a Saturday night party. I want the yards looking good, but not sure I will have a very good turn out. I'm afraid my friends will all be to drunk by the evening to come. LOL.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
High around 86 degrees, 10 to 15 mph winds out of the South. 50% chance of rain and overcast, hope we get a inch this evening. Otherwise I'll have to start watering and next Saturday I have a Saturday night party. I want the yards looking good, but not sure I will have a very good turn out. I'm afraid my friends will all be to drunk by the evening to come. LOL.
not rainin here today but it's warm and cloudy calling for rain the entire week next week.....

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Supposed to rain this weekend and it did not. Supposed to rain lots more tomorrow so I probably won't ride to work. Rest of week maybe. Tomorrow is best chance/percentage of rain coverage.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
And in the land of the rain forest for 5 months of the year we're now in the annual drought. Every year we go from protecting property from flooding to can't water the lawn. Throughout the year we're restricted to twice a week watering. The population here is expanding swiftly and the reservoirs don't have the capacity to keep up so we're going to be running into problems in the future.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
not raining here this morning, but it's pretty cloudy, still calling for rain tomorrow, hope that holds off taking my bike to the shop tomorrow to get new back shoe put on.

481 - 500 of 522 Posts