Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

161 - 180 of 256 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
They are having power shortages in Texas due to the extremely cold weather. Austin has gone to rolling blackouts and in this area they are asking people to be conservative. Not to use washers and driers electric ovens and to keep lights off. The sun is suppose to come out today and that will help. I have five windows on the south side of the house and with the sun shinning it really helps warm the house up.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
2,547 Posts
Rolling blackouts from Texas up to Dakota's. Same grid.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Rolling blackouts from Texas up to Dakota's. Same grid.
Part of the cause of blackouts in Texas is. A the freaking wind generators we have, many of them froze up due to ice storms. Wind generators are not as reliable as you are lead to believe. Like on a 110 degree day with no wind or heavy ice storms or real high winds.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
High of 30 degrees F, 90% chance of snow. The low was 7 degrees F this morning, up to 10 right now. Wind is averaging about 13 mph out of the south. No riding until next week maybe.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #165

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
8 F real feel -9 here this morning with another hmmm 8 maybe 9 inches of snow over night and still coming down....

Reactions: NAB

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Two and three days ago over a foot of snow. Nothing moving. Lots of shoveling then plows covered my driveway exit twice and had to do it over again.
Yesterday rain. Turned the snow into 300 pound shovel fulls. Roads are clear. Provincial holiday so the roads a empty. Grocery store is packed.
Today, sunny and 9C (48F).
Might have to mow the lawn Saturday.
Crazy $hit.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
They started rolling black outs where I live. The power was out about an hour so not to bad. It's 15 degrees F and suppose to get up to 30. Texas is finding out just how bad our electrical production has got in the state. Brought in back up heating and if it gets to bad I bring the 70 year old Deerborn heater in out of the Cantina.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
2,547 Posts
Going negative temperatures tomorrow.
Foot of snow in my driveway.
Morning should be interesting.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
its 11 F here feels like 3 F didn't get any more snow yet and supposed to be in the 20s tomorrow

stay warm down there in Tx

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
A real cold snap coming in tomorrow. When I tee off at 8:00 a.m. it is supposed to be a bone chilling 55°F and by the time I finish at noon, it is only supposed to be 65°F. This is just crazy. I might actually have to wear long pants.

Reactions: NAB

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Seeing in the news some of the problems Texas is running into due to the condition of their power grid. Blackouts, water pipes freezing in apartments, prices skyrocketing, etc. I hope everyone on here in any of the areas affected are doing OK.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
The Low this morning was 6 degrees, -14C. The high today around 23 degrees F. We had our power cut once for about a hour yesterday. We are not on the ESCOT power grid with the cooperative I'm on. They had a problem yesterday with low gas pressure and once it was resolved we had no problems and no power outages. 10% OF TEXAS POWER GENERATION is produced by wind and solar. We lost that power in this cold front due to heavy icing of the wind turbine blades, solar panels and no sun. Now it does get this cold here once in a great while, but we have never had power outages like this. It is suppose to break freezing Friday with highs in the lower 50's. Then getting up into the 60s next week. I have seen it as low as negative 16 degrees F right here in 1963 and -1 in 1989, even Houston, TX got in the single digits in 1989. There was no mass power outages then.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
4 F this morning but it actually feels warmer then that with light snow happening at the moment but not supposed to amount to anything with temps this afternoons in the 20s

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
With a proper power grid administration the loss of one or even two sources of that size shouldn't cause such problems. Especially with all the oil and gas you've got down there other plants should be able to fill the void. Somebody didn't put a whole lot of effort into planning the alternate feeds.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
We had a 10% chance of snow today and it's snowing and we got around 2 inches yesterday and we are to 10 degrees F. We were suppose to be up to around 30 degrees yesterday put only got to 23.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Well, it was even worse today than I predicted in post #172. The high was only about 60°F while I was golfing. I had to keep my long pants on (I have zip off lower legs on the pants so they can convert into shorts). I was able to wear a short-sleeve shirt but on about hole #9, the wind picked up and I had to put on a light fleece for the rest of the round. Then on the second half of #17 and on #18, a cold very light rain fell. I was never cold but these were crazy bad conditions :) Somehow we survived it and I won $52.50 for one closest-to-pin and winning the overall out of the 24 person group with my score of 80 that included 3 birdies. If it does not warm up here darn soon, people are gonna get angry.

The rain is gone now and later this afternoon, I will have to wear chaps and a thick jacket when I ride to the gym. This is just INSANE weather. How can people live like this?

Reactions: CanuckRob

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
8 this morning going to 26 calling for more snow over night tonight

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
8 this morning going to 26 calling for more snow over night tonight
About the same here, but no snow. They are predicting a high of 47 and sunshine tomorrow.

Reactions: CanuckRob
161 - 180 of 256 Posts