Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
friend in Gatlinburg sent me this pic this morning ..

Reactions: IndyVictory

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Yeah, horrible here. -1C for the high. Didn't see one motorcycle today.
Our high is predicted to be -5 C here today. It's warmer up there then down here. We call it a Artic Vortex. -12C tomorrow for a high.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
12 F here 630 pm and snowing pretty good

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
high is predicted to be -5 C here today. It's warmer up there then down here. We call it a Artic Vortex. -12C tomorrow for a high.
Yeah I lived in the prairies for most of my life so every year we get the Vortex slipping down over us with -30's hitting for a while. It never really bothered me for a few days but on the occasions it lasted more that a couple of weeks was difficult.

I never knew they pushed that far south though and some of the temperatures you show surprised me. I had heard of it getting cold in the mountains down there but that's about it.

After a few weeks of bitter cold the saving grace for us in southern Alberta is the Chinooks. Always glad to see the arch. -25C one day then +10C the next.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Yeah I lived in the prairies for most of my life so every year we get the Vortex slipping down over us with -30's hitting for a while. It never really bothered me for a few days but on the occasions it lasted more that a couple of weeks was difficult.

I never knew they pushed that far south though and some of the temperatures you show surprised me. I had heard of it getting cold in the mountains down there but that's about it.

After a few weeks of bitter cold the saving grace for us in southern Alberta is the Chinooks. Always glad to see the arch. -25C one day then +10C the next.

It's Sunday morning 5:43 am and and -13C, 8F' It will probably drop a couple of degrees by daylight. Our high today is predicted to be 8 degrees F. The low tonight -8 degrees F, -22 C. It has not been that cold here in probably 50 years. Then slowly warming up after tomorrow and getting above freezing Thursday then a rapid warmup. In the low 60's by Saturday. We have about 2 inches of snow on the ground and expected to get 4 to 6 more inches today. Wind chill is -24 C. So far my water lines are not frozen and never have in the past. But It has never been this cold so we will If my insulation work was good enough to handle it. Going to fill up bath tubs just incase for toilet flush water just in case.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
5 F with 5 more inches of snow this morning but snow has decided to rest for now.... 711 am

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
11 inches of snow here yesterday in an area that usually gets only one dump a year. Closer to the water 15 miles away they only got a couple of inches. Fortunately it was a dry snow so it was easy to move for a change. Usually the snow is so wet you can't lift a shovel full and it packs down into ice pretty fast so there's not much traffic moving. Plus with so little snow expected lots of people are driving around on tires that look like slicks. Loads of people stuck all over the place and bottom of hills look like a parking lot because many can't make it up.

Snowing again now but were only expecting a couple of more inches. Oh, and how rare is snow here? My shovel gets borrowed by more neighbours than you'd think. Told my wife yesterday that when I was a kid I'd have made a couple of months spending money by 10 o'clock. These days there's zero kids doing sidewalks.

Saw some photos and videos of the accident on icy roads in Texas. The video from the car on the other side of the road really showed the devastation. My sympathies for them all and hope no more die from their injuries.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
11 inches of snow here yesterday in an area that usually gets only one dump a year. Closer to the water 15 miles away they only got a couple of inches. Fortunately it was a dry snow so it was easy to move for a change. Usually the snow is so wet you can't lift a shovel full and it packs down into ice pretty fast so there's not much traffic moving. Plus with so little snow expected lots of people are driving around on tires that look like slicks. Loads of people stuck all over the place and bottom of hills look like a parking lot because many can't make it up.

Snowing again now but were only expecting a couple of more inches. Oh, and how rare is snow here? My shovel gets borrowed by more neighbours than you'd think. Told my wife yesterday that when I was a kid I'd have made a couple of months spending money by 10 o'clock. These days there's zero kids doing sidewalks.

Saw some photos and videos of the accident on icy roads in Texas. The video from the car on the other side of the road really showed the devastation. My sympathies for them all and hope no more die from their injuries.
Kids doing sidewalks...wow what a memory that is...haven't seen that in 20 years or more here....

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Nice here at 18C (65F) so I got out on the bike today for a couple of hours. My kids in Alberta are under a heavy snowfall warning with up to a foot of the heavy wet stuff expected in some areas. Trees and power lines will be down. The May long weekend is the unofficial start of summer on the prairies here and it's usually when the bedding out plants get put in the ground. It's also the first solid weekend of the camping season and in about one out of every three years the campers get snowed/rained/hailed on.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
2,977 Posts
95F here.

I need to mow grass but feels like 105 out there.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Reactions: IndyVictory

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
111 projected today in NE Washington. Most people here don’t have AC. The brewery’s that have AC here will be doing a fine business. :) Luckily there are lots of rivers and lakes to keep cool in.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Holiday traffic is picking up around here. Luckily I can stay away from weekend rides to avoid the crazies but out today for a few hours was not that enjoyable heading north on the main highway. Lots of campers and trailers jamming things up. Coming back I stuck the to curvy side roads and as usual, they were empty. :) Temperature is back to the low 20's (70's) which is great.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
We got 1/4 of a inch of rain early this morning. The high today around 92 degrees F. 33 C. and sunny.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
more tornado in barrie

21 - 39 of 39 Posts