Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode down to the Gap this weekend for a little play time. The Bridgestones from the Gold Wing site worked wonderfully.

Fairly uneventful. I did meet the infamous Yellow Wolf and noticed he was running a car tire. If that crazy old guy can get on with it, they must be better than I give them credit for.

I did have a little fun with a Harley rider who was a bit of a hot dog. After lunch, I was enjoying a leisurely ride back over the Skyway and saw his light coming up on me. I let him get close enough to see what he was approaching before I dropped the hammer and left him wondering what just happened.

Had a hell of a storm on the way back thru Kentucky and having checked the weather report before the trip I didn't bother with rain attire. Actually, it turned out to be a good thing as trying to plod thru that storm would have been a BAD idea. I got plenty of its effects even after the worse part had passed. I waited it out in a Shell. While there lightening struck a tree across the street and set it on fire. Even the monsoon winds and rains couldn't put it out. The store clerk called the fire dept, but they were too busy cleaning up hydroplaning accidents to bother with it. Not sure that spraying more water on it would do anything anyway.

Couple of gratuitous glamour shots from the event:

517086.jpg

517087.jpg

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Yellow Wolf has been running a car tire for some time now, he is just as fast with it compared to a bike tire. He burns threw tires very fast and claims he get a few more miles than his old brand of bike tires.Although with his style of riding he is not getting 25,000 miles on car tire, more like 8-9000 , which he claims is several miles more per tire and less money..

If you read back threw the forum you can find more info on him and his experience with a car tire, I will say he is one of the fastest riders up there, no matter what you ride if he is there keep your eyes on your mirrors as if he gets close he will pass you and and then disappear. Not sure who it is but there is a another guy on the gap with a red wing that is crazy fast also.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?31-Darkside-Riders

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yellow Wolf has been running a car tire for some time now
Thanks. I was wondering what it was. All I could see on the sidewall was KEN and didn't know what that was. Still never heard of Falken, but it must work pretty well.

I did like this video of a guy running one. Not a slam of the tire, but it illustrates what I've been talking about regarding camming up our bikes. Too much power can make our tires break traction coming out of corners. That's why traction control was invented for high powered bikes. My XR doesn't make enough power that this has ever been an issue. See the last few seconds of this video for an illustration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk95VcxU-Uk

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
I wa looking at 129slayer's Facebook photos from the other day and thought I saw you. thumb up

Attachments

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yellow Wolf's best time is 11 minutes which avgs about 60 mph. I have been on the dragon over a dozen times and I don't think I have ever got to 60 mph. I must say I have not been there on a Vic. 3 different Harleys, 2 Hondas, and 1 Mercedes coupe, but no Vic as of yet.

Need to plan another vacataion. BTW--- Bags, you been to the "Wheels Through Time" Museuem?

·
Registered
566 Posts
SB: I thought your xr was black with hard bags?! Did u get a new bike?

Nice photos BTW!

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Need to plan another vacataion. BTW--- Bags, you been to the "Wheels Through Time" Museuem?
Not yet. I did visit the underground cave with the trout lake at the bottom though. Also did some white water rafting over on the French Broad. But mainly I just go for the incredible roads, fried green tomatoes, and trout. :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
The shots you capture on that bike should be used by Victory as an advertisement. Really makes me want to get one! Good stuff. cheers

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see you added a vent to the windshield like I did. Looks like the same one even...from a G/W ? I assume ?..you noticed the improvement ? That & the small lower deflectors have made a world of difference.
I actually bought mine from Cee Bailey's like that. If you notice, they also incorporate the lowers in their design. Yeah, the shield works pretty well, but it took me some time to get used looking thru the thing.

·
13,231 Posts
for those of you that haven't ever seen the yellow goldwing on the tail of the dragon go to youtube and you'll be amazed how he rides

·
Registered
483 Posts
I actually bought mine from Cee Bailey's like that. If you notice, they also incorporate the lowers in their design. Yeah, the shield works pretty well, but it took me some time to get used looking thru the thing.
Oh, OK..mine is the OEM 19" and I look over it. I put the vent in, and the lowers are the smoked plastic from Whichdoctor. I thought about going the Cee-Bailey way, but decided against it. I only wish my [shield] was tinted like the C/Bailey.

I have an older mid/sized fairing , that may find it's way on over the winter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts