Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm down from 237 to 200 in a couple months and man it's been one hell of a battle....at first. Funny how not doing a diet but making a lifestyle change can affect your health and attitude. I started by working my way up doing 30 minutes on the elliptical strenuous program and 20 minutes on the recumbent bike five days a week. Now I'm doing 30 minutes weights and 20 elliptical/recumbent bike. Medium weights and lots of reps and on Monday when it's squat/dead lift day that a real mother****** for 30 minutes. I've lifted on and off for years (decades) and have a weight room, workout room here in the house with a squat rack, lat machine, row machine and calf machine all plates and cables with 10-65lbs in octagon dumbbells. Five years ago I was squatting 325 for six and dead lifting 350 for six then the injury happened and I got fat and lazy. I pulled a muscle under my left shoulder blade and stopped lifting all together but now I'm back!!!

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
I've been lifting potato sacks. I am up to 25 lifts in a row now, so tomorrow I'll start putting potatoes in the sacks. For weight loss, I eat less and move more. Or get cancer. The former I can choose do at will; the latter chooses to do me at its will. Just survived bout #3.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I'm down from 237 to 200 in a couple months and man it's been one hell of a battle....at first. Funny how not doing a diet but making a lifestyle change can affect your health and attitude. I started by working my way up doing 30 minutes on the elliptical strenuous program and 20 minutes on the recumbent bike five days a week. Now I'm doing 30 minutes weights and 20 elliptical/recumbent bike. Medium weights and lots of reps and on Monday when it's squat/dead lift day that a real mother****** for 30 minutes. I've lifted on and off for years (decades) and have a weight room, workout room here in the house with a squat rack, lat machine, row machine and calf machine all plates and cables with 10-65lbs in octagon dumbbells. Five years ago I was squatting 325 for six and dead lifting 350 for six then the injury happened and I got fat and lazy. I pulled a muscle under my left shoulder blade and stopped lifting all together but now I'm back!!!

Good job Vin! I too have stopped being lazy after 1.5 years... I am starting with skipping rope for a warm up then 45-50 mins of weights, followed by 15 mins of cardio. I am 180lbs but want to be around 185 and 12% body fat. I am currently 18% ish... I used to lift 6 days a week in my late 20's and have been as heavy as 175lbs at 7.5% body fat. Now approaching 40 I gotta get after it or I will be a fat mess. Monday is leg day, Tuesday is back n tri's, Thursday is shoulders n calves, Friday is chest and biceps.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm glad that you see it as a lifestyle change and not a diet. That seems to be the hardest part. Once you get the mental part down, then a week or two of the physical part of getting up and doing it, then it becomes routine and when you miss a day or two, you start feeling it.
If it's about weight loss or just getting healthier, the one change that I made was to try to avoid processed foods. I know that everything that we buy in grocery stores is processed in one fashion or another, but I try to not eat fake stuff, things that you don't find in nature. I'm pretty sure there is not a Dorito tree anywhere.
I have never been really overweight, but at 5'6" and 155, I was never "thin", always had a little pooch. I started eating better and working out pretty hard, up to 2 hours a day for a while and for the first time in my life saw abs. I was 36 then and thought to myself, "Wow, what if I had done this in my early teens, where would I be now?". Lost 15 pounds of fat, then added about 10-15 in muscle. Another suggestion, is eat more smaller meals. I was eating 6 times a day, 1 meal might be an apple. Another meal, was a handful of nuts.
The past 6 months or so, I have admittedly started back tracking. I could provide lots of excuses, but I would only be trying to convince myself. Mentally, I'm still there, now to get the routine of getting up off my butt and doing it again.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I was 219 in 2013 due to intense workout. Went to clinic today and I'm at 244.

I know how to lose. I know how to make excuses. I kept up the intensity for at least 4 years and seriously, I got so burnt out.

I'll be 57 in 2 days and will be going on my first ever long distance ride with a buddy. I've determined that if I make it back in one piece, I'm getting back in the workout Monday @ 5:30 am 5 days a week.

I have to drive 2 miles to the gym... wish I had the equipment here. I do not have the discipline to do a work out with no weights or anything but a rug.

I am the 40 minute guy. I hit the ground running doing both aerobics and strength training with no breaks. You do this 5 days a week... you get results.

Vin! I am very impressed with what you have accomplished and I hope that I can report the same in 120 days. dance 1 :ride:

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
All this work out stuff makes me wana have a smoke :rolleyes:
But I won't....thumb up

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Monday was leg day. Squats, 1/2 squats, dead lift, calf raise and good mornings. Today is the fist day I can sit down without falling 1/2 way into it. I like the sore it lets me know I hit em good.

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another suggestion, is eat more smaller meals. I was eating 6 times a day, 1 meal might be an apple. Another meal, was a handful of nuts.
Breakfast is a protein shake, mid morning snack is 1/3 cup almonds, lunch is some sort of vegetable based soup, early afternoon snack is a protein bar, workout then another protein shake then dinner of maybe fish or ground turkey burgers or maybe just a salad.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
85kgs here and eating chocolate chip ice cream and bananas.
Breakfast is porridge made with unprocessed oats.
Lunch a vegie feed at the local Hare Krishna shop, or pick organic vegies from my garden and stirfry in a wok with coconut oil. Dinners usually the same.
I eat very little meat and minimal sugar (except ice cream :) )
Drink water, stopped smoking 13 years ago. And stopped alcohol and other recreational drugs over 16 years ago.
I do yoga once or twice a week, its good for the optic nerve too.
Rather be out riding than lifting weights in a gym.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Y'all are going to have great looking corpses when ya die. :)

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I work out every day , have for a longtime . I work with fella's half my age that cant believe how old I am , and are all out of shape and fat . I owe my good health to my Mom and Dad and my regimen of smart heavy lifting . I do like to drink , but have NEVER smoked . All in moderation you see ....:wink

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Moderation??...whats that?

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
13,038 Posts
Good for you Vin. thumb upthumb up
Being strong and healthy makes for longer bike rides with less fatigue.
I know when I slack on working out it seams harder to put in 6 or 8 hour days of ridding.
You'll sleep better at night and be sick less.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts