Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is getting ridden much less these days I'm sad to say. She's got around 35k miles on her and I haven't done anything except change the oil and some fork seals. But recently I've noticed when I start it up I get a ticking/clicking noise that seems to come from the front cylinder and goes away quickly once the motor is warm.

So, does this sound familiar to anyone here?

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
+1 on the hydraulic valve lifters. They may drain when the bike sits for a long time. Good reason not to rev it while it warms. What oil and weight?

·
Registered
141 Posts
+1
Yep, oil has to make its way up to the lifters. It may take a second or two. Just one of the reasons to always let the bike warm for at least a few seconds...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Also a good reason to crank your bike and let it run for a while once a week even if you are not riding it.

Oil can run off cyl walls too and humidity can and does cause cyl walls to rust and even the rings to seize to the walls. Now this usually happens with very long periods of time sitting, but none the less, crank that thing up once a week.

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
Also a good reason to crank your bike and let it run for a while once a week even if you are not riding it.

Oil can run off cyl walls too and humidity can and does cause cyl walls to rust and even the rings to seize to the walls. Now this usually happens with very long periods of time sitting, but none the less, crank that thing up once a week.
ONLY IF YOU INTEND TO TAKE IT OUT AND RIDE IT FOR AT LEAST A HALF HOUR. Sorry, I had to shout over this incorrect bit of advice. If not riding, put stabilizer in the fuel and an automatic trickle charger on the battery. Running it for a few minutes does so many bad things I am not even going to start listing them. :mad:

·
Premium Member
6,232 Posts
Fuel Stabelizer ? Never did that ... Should I ?

I work 4 on 4 off so 6 montjs a year parked and trickled ....

Agreed, starting an engine weekly is BAD if not used .

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
Fuel Stabelizer ? Never did that ... Should I ?
Yup! Fuel has about a 30 day shelf life and then bad stuff starts settling out to gum up the works. Stabilizers aid in preventing that. Very cheap insurance. Do they sell it where you are?cheers

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Could be a cam chain tensioner also ... Very common .

·
13,262 Posts
my bike sits for 5 months and I never start it or put in any stable.
come spring I let it warm up for a good 2 minutes so the cylinders and heads get warm before leaving.
Oil pumps lifters up just fine and the Vic motor has tickie lifters just part of the over head valves.
I don't hot rod it but ride it till I get to half tank then I add new fuel. Bike runs ok on old gas but doesn't have the power of new gas.
I don't think stable does any good other then gives you peace of mind.

If you don't let the motor warm up for a good two minutes you're headed for a cylinder base gasket or head gasket to blow out

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I warm my motor up more then 2 minutes even when it is 90 degrees out ....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Update

Okay, so I got out on it today. It'd been sitting for just under 2 weeks. No weird noise upon start up. Initially I said it was a ticking/clicking kind of noise. I would like to redefine the noise. More of a rattle, clanky, slappy, rhythmic noise.
Anyway, so it did not do it on start up. However, on the last big straightaway of my ride I opened it up good to triple digits. Backed off and came to a stop. As I was stopping the dreaded noise came back when the RPMs dropped to just off idle. Parked it, turned it on again, clanky sound from front cylinder for sure. Just off idle but less than 2k rpms. Real inconsistent though. It did it for a second then went away and I couldn't get it to do it again.

I'm pretty sure it's not the lifters. Someone mentioned cam tensioners and another mentioned something about head gaskets. I like to think I take care of my bike but I know in the summer when its hot I don't do much in the way of a warm up. But I'm not red lining it right out of the garage either.
I noticed I have some real sticky black build up on one of the cooling fins just under the exhaust.

·
13,262 Posts
Take a wrench tighten your exhaust flange bolts front and rear.
Now go for a ride come home and check the bolts. Re tighten them.
Now go for ride and check bolts when you get home.
Victory has cheap flanges that take more than one or two times to tighten

Be Careful everything will be hot

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I like to think I take care of my bike but I know in the summer when its hot I don't do much in the way of a warm up. But I'm not red lining it right out of the garage either.
A cam tensioner can fail at any time , no rhyme or reason for it .... No one said you don't take care of your bike . It could be sticking and not applying constant pressure to your chain ..... Hence the erratic timing of the noise ....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A cam tensioner can fail at any time , no rhyme or reason for it .... No one said you don't take care of your bike . It could be sticking and not applying constant pressure to your chain ..... Hence the erratic timing of the noise ....
So, another point to add here is, the sound seems to be coming from the left side of the front cylinder. If it were the cam chain slapping around wouldn't I be hearing it from the right side?
How involved is it to replace a tensioner? Do you have to open the motor or is it just screwing in a new one?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Take a wrench tighten your exhaust flange bolts front and rear.
Now go for a ride come home and check the bolts. Re tighten them.
Now go for ride and check bolts when you get home.
Victory has cheap flanges that take more than one or two times to tighten

Be Careful everything will be hot
Are you saying that my exhaust could be leaking? As much as it pains me to say, my pipes are bone stock and have never come off. I'd think if they'd recently been messed with that could be the case. But the sound seems more mechanical than escaping exhaust. However that would explain the black goo. I'll check it out. My bike has about 35k miles on it now, maybe it's time for the exhaust gaskets to fail? I don't know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts