Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone here my little problem. My 2003 Vegas bone stock with stage 1 tune has 4500 miles runs super smooth for the first 45 mins of ride. I mean it’s so smooth that it feels like it has no engine. Just beautiful sound and the wind lol. But after 45-50 mins later it gets really rough. It doesn’t lose power but it almost feels like it’s running on one cylinder.
But if I pull over and park for 15-20 mins it again runs smooth for another 45-50 mins.
I don’t know what is the cause of this problem could be.
When I first bought the bike it sat for a long time so parts of the fuel pump was so corroded that it was unusable so I went and replaced it all but the problem continued. I had a pump sitting around from my previous Vegas, I went ahead and swapped the entire pump and that didn’t fix the problem either.
One day I was surfing the eBay I saw an affordable almost new fuel pump from a late model (late enough to go in to an 03) bought it swapped the pump once more but the problem is still there.
So at this point I’m ruling out the pump or the fuel pressure regulator or the fuel pressure itself because I did test the pressure right after it started to run rough and it was fine.
Again...the bike is bone stock besides the stage 1 tune.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
I cannot help you but subscribed ..

Could it be pinging ?

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Spray some carb cleaner on the throttlebody adapter boot when it does that. If you hear a change then you know you need to change that rubber boot and probably the O ring gaskets.

Clean your throttle body real well too.

This video is also a good review:

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
Thanks Bbob I’ll check the boot and the oil pressure/heat switch tomorrow morning. Throttle body is clean as a whistle.
What @BBob is saying is, when the engine is running to spray with carburator cleaner so the RPM shouts up if there is a crack in your trottle body or hoses ... This is common on our bikes

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
12,970 Posts
Ok so the throttle body rubber might look good but give it a good looking at for cracks. All so look at the little rubber caps there cheap and auto stores sell vacuum caps.
All else fails write Rylan tell him all details. I always tell guys what you hold back could be very inmpotin

[email protected]

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the help everyone. I think problem is solved and I ordered the throttle body adapter.
I didn’t have carb cleaner so I used a MAF sensor cleaner and it did the trick. RPMs didn’t shoot up but instead spray killed the engine.

Engine was nice and hot at operating temps idling after riding for 20mins.
Please don’t mind the crappy video skills.
When I went around the bike I waited a bit for idle to come back up that’s why there is a slight delay on spraying.

https://vimeo.com/285920494

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
Happy your test worked, yes these rubber items are not very good quality .... 10 years life span is a sorrow excuse for engine rubber parts,

Andre using TaPaTaLk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts