Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I know all of you have had more than just a Victory in your lifetime, so here it goes. I got my wife a 2007 Yamaha V Star 650 to ride with me. It only has about 4000 miles on it. Previous owner had it for his wife and put Vance and Hines shorty pipes, k&n filter and had it jetted at the local dealer. This thing is running lean on the back carburetor and will not idle good until really warmed up, then once good and warm back fires violently on decel after a long run and will keep the rpms up around 2000 when she comes up to a stop after a long run, thus being leaned out until she blips the throttle a few times to fatten it up and let it settle down. The mechanic we have has called Vance and Hines and found she has the right jets for the pipes etc... Any ideas? At a loss here and she wants to ride. Maybe Kevin x is looking and may have astrole of genius here. I'll take any advise, but not a new bike yet, she's still learning.

·
Administrator
5,977 Posts
Ok guys, I know all of you have had more than just a Victory in your lifetime, so here it goes. I got my wife a 2007 Yamaha V Star 650 to ride with me. It only has about 4000 miles on it. Previous owner had it for his wife and put Vance and Hines shorty pipes, k&n filter and had it jetted at the local dealer. This thing is running lean on the back carburetor and will not idle good until really warmed up, then once good and warm back fires violently on decel after a long run and will keep the rpms up around 2000 when she comes up to a stop after a long run, thus being leaned out until she blips the throttle a few times to fatten it up and let it settle down. The mechanic we have has called Vance and Hines and found she has the right jets for the pipes etc... Any ideas? At a loss here and she wants to ride. Maybe Kevin x is looking and may have astrole of genius here. I'll take any advise, but not a new bike yet, she's still learning.
When were the carb and jet needles cleaned last?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Pretty sure that has an AIS check to see if it's been blocked off. If not start there after checking the jets/needle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Could also be an air leak on the carb boot. Spray carb cleaner on the boots and see if the idle changes.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Run some seafoam through it, if it's been sitting long time use a whole can of it in the tank or half can. After that tan of gas, change the oil. If it's carburetors you might to sync them up.
You can buy 1 or make your own with small diameter tubing and oil. Google homemade manometer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have been in the carbs and there is no gunk. Everything is clear. We have sprayed carb cleaner on the boot etc.. And even used a smoke machine, no leaks there. What is the AIS and its function? I'm about to go to a bigger jet. How about fuel pump? Or something else like that to block the rate of fuel? We just put on a new fuel filter and still the same result. Advise. The answer has to be under my nose.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, left out that carbs are synchronized and measuring perfectly.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Put the next size up pilot jet in, sync the carbs, disconnect the ais system(thats your decel popping) and check your plugs after that for jetting. Make sure your air filter is clean also. Yamahas are terribly lean on the pilot circuit, my wife has the same bike, still stock exhaust. I went up one on the pilot and now it starts real good and we dont have to leave the choke on forever anymore. I also removed the ais setup and synced the carbs, it runs really good.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My mechanic called the guys at the Yamaha shop and their tech mentioned an internal vacuum leak. Not too sure how to take that. Any guesses? I'm with my mechanic because he is certified across the board, and happens to be the only victory certified tech in town, so I am keeping my friends close.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Put the next size up pilot jet in, sync the carbs, disconnect the ais system(thats your decel popping) and check your plugs after that for jetting. Make sure your air filter is clean also. Yamahas are terribly lean on the pilot circuit, my wife has the same bike, still stock exhaust. I went up one on the pilot and now it starts real good and we dont have to leave the choke on forever anymore. I also removed the ais setup and synced the carbs, it runs really good.

Thanks man, that sounds like a plan. Going to try that route. I have covered everything but that! Victory guys rock!

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
If it doesnt have a jet kit in it and was just jetted you can also shim the needles in the carbs with 3mm washers. You can get an assortment pack at radio shack for cheap.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have seen people reverse the pilot and the main jets in these carbs, The other thing is make sure your floats are set right, and make sure the diaphragm is not damaged. Get rid of the AIS, unless you have to pass emissions. This will make you run leaner.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts