Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, went for a 40 minute ride, parked and had to start it again 30 seconds later. When I hit the button, it sounded like the starter just wouldn't turn it over. Hit it again and same thing. Let it cool for an hour and cranked right up. To me, it sounded like it just isn't getting enough juice.

Am I looking at a new battery or is there anything else I should check? Connections are fine by the way. thanks

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
failing starters become obvious when they're very hot or very cold. If you have access to a multimeter, I'd check to see how much voltage the starter's pulling. For the correct range, you'll have to do some research. But on a car, if you have 8 volts or less at the battery when the starter engages, you gots a problem.

it could be the battery, and testing and/or replacing it will be a much cheaper fix than the starter. So I'd suggest you pull the batt and have it loadtested FIRST just to be safe. IMHO, it doesn't sound like the battery...letting a bad battery sit for a half an hour doesn't make it work better.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
failing starters become obvious when they're very hot or very cold. If you have access to a multimeter, I'd check to see how much voltage the starter's pulling. For the correct range, you'll have to do some research. But on a car, if you have 8 volts or less at the battery when the starter engages, you gots a problem.

it could be the battery, and testing and/or replacing it will be a much cheaper fix than the starter. So I'd suggest you pull the batt and have it loadtested FIRST just to be safe. IMHO, it doesn't sound like the battery...letting a bad battery sit for a half an hour doesn't make it work better.
Hope it's not the starter, only 6K miles. Starts right up when cold though

off topic, I remember you from the vulcan forums. Nice trade up!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts