Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a used cross roads i'm looking to buy. can anyone tell me why this tire wore this way?

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I wonder if somehow it went down while it was running and in gear, and just rubbed on the street for a while...

·
Registered
611 Posts
My guess would be that the area where the previous owner did most of his/her riding had heavily crowned roads. The wear is on the left side near the center of the tire which is consistent with being on the right side of the road with a crown in the middle and the fact that it's on both tires would tend to confirm that. I wouldn't worry about something being wrong with the bike to cause that kind of wear. Letting the tire get that badly worn is piss poor maintenance though so I would give the rest of the bike a thorough looking over to make sure other things weren't ignored as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My guess would be that the area where the previous owner did most of his/her riding had heavily crowned roads. The wear is on the left side near the center of the tire which is consistent with being on the right side of the road with a crown in the middle and the fact that it's on both tires would tend to confirm that. I wouldn't worry about something being wrong with the bike to cause that kind of wear. Letting the tire get that badly worn is piss poor maintenance though so I would give the rest of the bike a thorough looking over to make sure other things weren't ignored as well.
good point. i didnt think of that. i will have to look it over closely. thanks!

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Betcha the tires are low on air too. How's brake fluids and oil look? If brake fluid is anything but clear, there's water in it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Not that unusual to see more wear on the left side, reason being we
(Americans driving on the right side of the road) travel further doing left hand turns-easily 2 times the distance of right hand turns & usually at higher speeds-the myth that it's due to road crown has no basis in fact-just a falsehood that keeps on being repeated by the unknowing.

http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
I am still putting my money on the effect of crowing combined with low air pressures. Yes, left turns contribute also, and when air pressures are low, the tire squirms in a way that exacerbates wear on the side in contact with the pavement.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Run 40 psi and take some corners!

·
Registered
611 Posts
No to discount the effect of longer left turns but if that was the sole reason for the wear shown on that tire then the middle of the tire should also be worn out since we spend WAY more time going straight than leaning over. Any street bike I've ever owned has always worn out the middle long before either side. Most of the time my sport and standard bikes end up getting take off tires from my or my friends' race bikes. Those are typically shot on the extreme edges but brand new in the middle so they're perfect for street use as long as you keep the pace and weather in mind (race DOT's do not heat up fully at street pace and do not clear water).

·
Registered
361 Posts
No to discount the effect of longer left turns but if that was the sole reason for the wear shown on that tire then the middle of the tire should also be worn out since we spend WAY more time going straight than leaning over.
The forces applied to the tires are totally different-rolling down the road upright causes very little wear compared to the scuffing action during cornering.

·
Registered
608 Posts
this is a used cross roads i'm looking to buy. can anyone tell me why this tire wore this way?

When I bought my wife's bike the front tire was bald on the left side. But there was still tread on the right. I thought there was a problem but all seems ok.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Not that unusual to see more wear on the left side, reason being we
(Americans driving on the right side of the road) travel further doing left hand turns-easily 2 times the distance of right hand turns & usually at higher speeds-the myth that it's due to road crown has no basis in fact-just a falsehood that keeps on being repeated by the unknowing.

http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html
Absolutely correct.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
I would put new tires on and watch for wear...:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts