Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have saved up almost enough for an S&S intake. I would love a set of Torque Tubes but I don't want to wait forever to save up the rest. At least if I go S&S I will be able most likely get it tuned this summer/spring. It isn't my first choice but as long as I see performance gains I will be happy. I don't know how well my exhaust will perform anyway when it is tuned, so to get a TTI and not pair it with a worthy exhaust seems like a waste of money. I will need to get a new throttle body adapter as mine is 10yrs old. I will also need some new tubing for the fuel rail as mine is pretty shot as well. If anyone has a line on a throttle body adapter I can get at a low price I'd really appreciate it.
Do many or any of you run an S&S intake? Were you happy with any gains you made?

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
I had a 06' Hammer and bit the bullet for torque tubes, and paired them with a VFC3. I was amazed in the difference. I also went with the (Victory) cobra 2into1 exhaust. But back then there weren't as many choices for aftermarket goodies.

·
Super Moderator
4,990 Posts
Well I have saved up almost enough for an S&S intake. I would love a set of Torque Tubes but I don't want to wait forever to save up the rest. At least if I go S&S I will be able most likely get it tuned this summer/spring. It isn't my first choice but as long as I see performance gains I will be happy. I don't know how well my exhaust will perform anyway when it is tuned, so to get a TTI and not pair it with a worthy exhaust seems like a waste of money. I will need to get a new throttle body adapter as mine is 10yrs old. I will also need some new tubing for the fuel rail as mine is pretty shot as well. If anyone has a line on a throttle body adapter I can get at a low price I'd really appreciate it.
Do many or any of you run an S&S intake? Were you happy with any gains you made?
My home built torque tubes starting on page 5.

Click

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
If I knew what I know now, I would make them myself...

Andre
TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ToeJam: There is no bullet to bite. I love my bike now but want a little more. For me an S&S and a tune should do me ok. At least it is more than stock LOL. Anything more is nice when you are monetarily challenged lol.

Vindex1963: That is really nice. I would be much better off buying something that is made. That is some great ingenuity however and I applaud you!

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
ToeJam: There is no bullet to bite. I love my bike now but want a little more. For me an S&S and a tune should do me ok. At least it is more than stock LOL. Anything more is nice when you are monetarily challenged lol.

Vindex1963: That is really nice. I would be much better off buying something that is made. That is some great ingenuity however and I applaud you!
If money is tight the Ness Ram will give a big lift over stock or so called 'Stage One' filters.
It's not shiny.. But it can't be seen anyway once installed so why the S&S is made blingy is beyond me.
I started with the Ness Ram cos I was low budget and later went to the Torque Tubes Intake.
On a mild motor the difference between the two was minimal as the TTI really comes into its own when other mods like cams and a decent exhaust are combined with it.
What exhaust have you got?
You'll need a tuner and a proper tune whatever way you go.

You can resell the Ness Ram further down the line if you need to, that's how I did it.
Bling ya cant see is a waste.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ness ram is for 08- current models. Mine is an 06. Only options I have seen are S&S and TTI.
I have no idea what exhaust I have as it was on the bike when I bought it. Previous owner said they were "ripper pipes". I posted pics and best any could figure was they are the original "Santa Rosa Rippers". I was told if they are "Santa Rosa's" that they were an ok short pipe for there time. I know I love the sound of my bike and it has some decent pep. Previous owner made a stage one air box by adding a K&N filter and then drilling the **** out of the cover. He did not add any fuel tuner. I do not know if it was flashed in any way as I believe the pipes were installed at the purchase time from the dealer. I however had someone give me a great deal on a used Power Commander 3. All I got was the unit and I purchased the cable and battery pack. For 75 dollars US shipped even. What a crazy nice guy.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ness ram is for 08- current models. Mine is an 06. Only options I have seen are S&S and TTI.
I have no idea what exhaust I have as it was on the bike when I bought it. Previous owner said they were "ripper pipes". I posted pics and best any could figure was they are the original "Santa Rosa Rippers". I was told if they are "Santa Rosa's" that they were an ok short pipe for there time. I know I love the sound of my bike and it has some decent pep. Previous owner made a stage one air box by adding a K&N filter and then drilling the **** out of the cover. He did not add any fuel tuner. I do not know if it was flashed in any way as I believe the pipes were installed at the purchase time from the dealer. I however had someone give me a great deal on a used Power Commander 3. All I got was the unit and I purchased the cable and battery pack. For 75 dollars US shipped even. What a crazy nice guy.
Did you check out thirdgear customs intake?

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
in that case the tried and true S&S item has the runs on the board.
with your current setup you'll notice a big boost in intake air and resultant power.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Bully. Thirdgear doesn't have intakes for older bikes yet. :frown

When you installed the Ness Ram how hard was taking out the airbox?

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
My home built torque tubes starting on page 5.

Click
Why not give this a go OP?

Or this:

Some really good info in that thread. Why not save a bunch of money by doing this yourself and use that savings for a better exhaust or possibly cams or other performance item? As mentioned; these don't show much so no need for it be extra pretty looking. What good is bling if no one can see it?

·
13,048 Posts
Maybe if wouldn't of tried to screw your son over he would have the answer

·
Super Moderator
4,990 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Bully. Thirdgear doesn't have intakes for older bikes yet. :frown

When you installed the Ness Ram how hard was taking out the airbox?
Wasn't bad at all. A hacksaw blade and a cutting wheel did it pretty quick. A cable saw will work well also
There are some videos out there

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
Buy a 5.00 cable saw @ Home depot . You make 3 cuts and the box will come right out .....
Once you get enough access inside the airbox it's a good idea to stick some rags in the throttle body venturis to stop shavings going into your engine.
If you can save the bottom mounting plate it could be used to make a homebuilt torquetubes setup.
Once you get inside the airbox you'll understand.
There's like factory plastic torquetubes inside the factory airbox.
I kept my plastic tubes but sadly binned the bottom plate with the rest of the cut up crap.
Otherwise I'd have the makings of a home made torquetubes system.
Not that it really matters now as I have the real thing...
And I'm sure the Lloydz Torquetubes will really come on strong combined with the big bore and cams:devil

·
Super Moderator
4,990 Posts
In another thread Cali Phil asked his son for a set of torque tubes for XMAS , evidently , VJ took offense to that .
OK I remember seeing that.

You can buy the factory plastic torque tubes and air boxes off of ebay all day long that's what I did.
Cheap.
Easy to make.
Works great.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As far as home made. I know I could most likely do that but I would never trust the fact I got it right. Will look the thread over 1 more time though before I move on.

I contacted Thirdgear on FB and they said they are hoping to have something for older bikes in January. This is a solid possible option.

Kevin X thank you for chiming in. Your opinion is well respected in the Victory world and I appreciate it. It makes me feel much better about upgrading.

Where is a good place to pick up new adapter boots? I know mine needs to go when I upgrade.
Thank you all for your thoughts :wink

1 - 20 of 31 Posts