Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and I've only got a grazed elbow and upper leg with bruising, thanks to my leather jacket, kevlar jeans, leather gloves and boots.
A bloody huge bull arab dog came bounding out of a front garden of a house I was riding past, slamming into my front wheel and dumping the bike down the road on the l/h side.
Fortunatly I wasnt travelling very fast at all, would probably have been in second gear.
Damage to the Vegas is not huge but the gearshift shaft is sheared off so its unrideable.
The dogs owner trailered my bike and me home and Ive just rang my insurance and lodged a claim.
l/h mirror is damaged, as well as clutch lever, and bracket.
Headlight shell has a bad scrape and a couple of wires out the back of it are broken where its been pushed back into the frame,So my speedo wont light and my odometer is now blank.
lh footpegs are a bit scraped and the gearshift linkage bent.
end of the l/h grip is sheared off too.
and some minor scratching on the tank lh side, probably from my leg.
A quick call to Rob the mechanic at my local Vic dealer confirmed no teardown or case split to repair the shifter shaft...a half hour job he said...thats good.
Though with the sum of all the scrapes and bangs I think a claim o my insurance is the way to go even though my excess is $500.
My leather saddlebag on Easybrackets helped cushion the fall I think and absorbed quite a bit of shock, the inner metal frames are a bit twisted but thats an easy fix.
Yeah the dog is ok too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Glad you and the bike didn't get too banged up! Hope you both get back on the road soon.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Glad you and the dog are good. Gets me thinkin I have to get some summer gloves. I have the jacket, boots and kevlar pants but have been leaving my hands naked. Probably not a good idea.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
The wildlife in the world seems to be going crazy.... a deer, now this :frown

Zoo

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Whouw MbX that you walked away safe and also your bike is "ok" ..... Happy to hear that ...

That only shows how easy it is to get into an accident ..... Pffff lucky it wasn't "skippy" on high-speed roads ....

Good luck with the insurance mate ??

Ps so you do not have any crashbars right ? And the bike still ok ... Amazing

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
and I've only got a grazed elbow and upper leg with bruising, thanks to my leather jacket, kevlar jeans, leather gloves and boots.

A bloody huge bull arab dog came bounding out of a front garden of a house I was riding past, slamming into my front wheel and dumping the bike down the road on the l/h side.

Fortunatly I wasnt travelling very fast at all, would probably have been in second gear.

Damage to the Vegas is not huge but the gearshift shaft is sheared off so its unrideable.

The dogs owner trailered my bike and me home and Ive just rang my insurance and lodged a claim.

l/h mirror is damaged, as well as clutch lever, and bracket.

Headlight shell has a bad scrape and a couple of wires out the back of it are broken where its been pushed back into the frame,So my speedo wont light and my odometer is now blank.

lh footpegs are a bit scraped and the gearshift linkage bent.

end of the l/h grip is sheared off too.

and some minor scratching on the tank lh side, probably from my leg.

A quick call to Rob the mechanic at my local Vic dealer confirmed no teardown or case split to repair the shifter shaft...a half hour job he said...thats good.

Though with the sum of all the scrapes and bangs I think a claim o my insurance is the way to go even though my excess is $500.

My leather saddlebag on Easybrackets helped cushion the fall I think and absorbed quite a bit of shock, the inner metal frames are a bit twisted but thats an easy fix.

Yeah the dog is ok too.

MBX if you are making an insurance claim don't say anything is an easy fix... Make the insurance company fix everything good and proper.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Glad your ok Brother , hate to see this especially to friends ... Get back on the bike a.s.a.p. !

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Good on you for being an ATGATT rider, it sure paid off well with this event. Glad for you and the dog--sad for the bike. 'Twas nice of the dog's owner to provide bike transport. Check with your insurer to see if your riding gear is covered. Many insurance companies here in the States will pay for damage to riding gear as well as the bike.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Insured with Shannons Insurance, got all my vehicles covered by them. Yeah my riding gears covered töo.
Abrasion to elbow of leather jacket. Jeans hardly marked.
Noticed left boot toe heavily abraded too.
Glad I was wearing proper Rossi biker boots.
And the leather riggers gloves I wear saved my hands despite being a very cheap item to buy.
The road was rural through sugar cane farming area and the dog owner rents the property.
The road sees very little traffic and his dog doesnt normally chase cars or bikes, the loud V-Twin stirred him into action it seems.
I doubt the dog owner would have any insurance.
Australias not like America where everybody sues each other, but we are rapidly heading that way.
I just hope I dont get lumbered with paying the $500 excess.
If I do Ill approach the dog owner to cover that.
Guess I wont be riding for a little while till my bikes fixed.
Thanks everyone for your concern.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Australias not like America where everybody sues each other, but we are rapidly heading that way.

Don't let the media stereotype fool you. It isn't all that bad here. Most like me would have offered to pay for damages if my animal caused the wreck. It's call responsibility.

Not saying a lot wouldn't sue, but a lot would also do the standup thing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
13,247 Posts
Glad your ok.
Take your time when you list damage. List the smallest scratch and look on the bottom of motor. For sure all your close and phone. Look at the wheels and tires really close. You might find more damage then you think.
Take care of your body and rest

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Glad your ok.

Take your time when you list damage. List the smallest scratch and look on the bottom of motor. For sure all your close and phone. Look at the wheels and tires really close. You might find more damage then you think.

Take care of your body and rest

+1 on what VJ is saying. When making an insurance claim don't miss anything.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
It's not a matter of suing. It's just a claim on insurance, the same as you are planning to cover yourself. Many people, my kids included, may not have homeowners insurance but do have renters insurance to cover their own furniture and other liabilities. My insurance company may insist.

Your deductible is over two weeks of pay for me at a part time job and I'd certainly be looking to the owner of the dog or another vehicle to cover damage that wasn't my fault. Your call though.

Glad you're OK.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Glad you're ok and bike is fixable. You do whatever you need to do to get back on it. I know I'd go nutz if too much time goes by and can't ride.

Dog owner should help you and if not, check with local laws concerning this and if you're not the type to get into all the mess, just eat the $500 and move along. May not be worth it. Life is short!

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Glad you are ok..no broken bones..
I have seen several vics for sale that have been rite offs with not much damage to them,
Will be interesting to see what happens

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Woke up sore this morning and to a call from Shannons Insurance, they dont waste any time, theres a van on its way from Brisbane to pick up and take my Vegas to my Victory shop in Brisbane for repair. Ive spoke to the crew up there who I know personally from our shop rides and they wont miss anything.
As benm says it dont take much damage when all the small stuff is added up to total a bike, but we will see.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
glad to hear you are ok!! animals, especially larger types can sure cause some issues. i refrain from night riding for that reason, lots of deer in Pa + i live where they live!!!

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
glad to hear you are ok!! animals, especially larger types can sure cause some issues. i refrain from night riding for that reason, lots of deer in Pa + i live where they live!!!
Thanks rodhotter.
This was broad daylight and the Revenge of Cujo slamming full on from the lhs into my front wheel.
I saw the dawg (full grown Bull Arab) bounding at me on an intercept course.. .:eek
It was over in a flash and the bike was grinding to a halt along its lh side with me and a passenger still aboard.
Shes saying "I cant get my leg out"
The bike was still running so I reached up and hit the kill switch.
Then a couple of blokes are lifting the bike off us.
The dogs owner and his mate.
Dog had scampered off was nowhere to be seen!
After checking my passenger was ok I looked at the bike and saw the gear selector rod swinging and bent with the broken shaft still inside it.
Thats when I knew we werent riding home.
Just gone right over the and noted and pbotographed the visible damage to it.
A motorcycle carrier van just left with it strapped down inside .
Ill know tomorrow when Rob the Vic mechanic goes over it if theres any damage I missed.
Took pix of my scuffed leather gear, boots etc
Thats all covered too.
Missing my poor bike already....:crying

1 - 20 of 39 Posts