Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a 195/55R-16 Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R SL on my 2013 Cross Country Tourer. So far I have not caught on fire. Unfortunetly 80% of my riding (20,000 miles a year on average) is commuting to work on the I10. Tired of changing tires twice a year. Less of a change than I thought. Just a little hang spot when you turn, and you have to keep a little more pressure on the bars to hold a line. One nice thing, those seems in the freeway (like in between a pavement section and a concrete section) that used to kind of grab your bike..... nothing.... rolls right through them.:wink:wink
Larry

·
13,262 Posts
put a little more air in the shock. Check the rear brake line on the left side by the ECM. Make sure its a little loose.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks VJ. I will do that. It was a pretty tight fit. Had to pull the rear caliper off to fit the tire.

Thanks again, Larry

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice, I am Darkside on my Storm, when I asked the dealer if he would fit a CT when the rear needed replacing, he said what's the point you will get 25,000 kilometres (17,000 miles) out of your rear. My Storm averaged 9,000 kilometres (6,000 miles). Darkside gives the Storm a better ride, handling is actually better, just need a touch more input on the handlebar, the trick is not to overthink the physics. So, when the time comes it will be down to how it affects the warranty, if it's a problem I will go Darkside when my XCT is out of warranty.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
13,262 Posts
Why such low air pressure.
To me only the outside edges are contacting the road and not really the middle of the tire.
With less air now you have a better chance of the tire coming loos from the mounting area on the rim.
Tire is all so more mushier I would think.

Just asking don't shoot me

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Why such low air pressure.
To me only the outside edges are contacting the road and not really the middle of the tire.
With less air now you have a better chance of the tire coming loos from the mounting area on the rim.
Tire is all so more mushier I would think.

Just asking don't shoot me
When I first installed the tire I was running 40 psi.
I went out on a quiet long straight paved road and put a grease pencil mark across the treads of the tire and rode for 20 kms until I hit the first corner.
When I looked at the tire the grease mark was gone in the center but still there on the outside edges.
I lowered the pressure and kept doing this until the entire line was completely removed.
The result was 33 psi. I also found the ride quality was day and night difference from 40 psi. It was so much better.
But that is for my riding style and weight. Others may differ.
I keep doing it from time to time and the result is the same.

·
Registered
62 Posts
There is an excellent FB page and website for aficionados called Rollin' Darkside. I took a lot of information from there to set my bike up. A great explanation though Paul. My take is a few things, the weight of the bike versus car, the need to have flex on the side walls to give a bigger contact patch when the tyre lifts on twisties/tight bends. I used a performance Bridgestone tyre with non slip side walls (MY02). Very pleased with it. I paid a bit more but its still economic and as I mentioned earlier the ride has actually improved.

·
13,262 Posts
There is an excellent FB page and website for aficionados called Rollin' Darkside. I took a lot of information from there to set my bike up. A great explanation though Paul. My take is a few things, the weight of the bike versus car, the need to have flex on the side walls to give a bigger contact patch when the tyre lifts on twisties/tight bends. I used a performance Bridgestone tyre with non slip side walls (MY02). Very pleased with it. I paid a bit more but its still economic and as I mentioned earlier the ride has actually improved.

Mark
please do what I ask in red letters so we know what you ride

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Im not Darkside but I imagine with less weight to carry lower pressures would heat the tyre up better,
I know with car tyres on the Can Am Spyder I was riding for 3 months thats the case 18 front 22 rear was all thats in them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I can't see anything in the thread in red letters, but have updated my signature, is this what you are after? Takes up a bit of space as I have four bikes, all active. More time on my hands since I retired.

2017 XCT, Tri Ovals
2013 Triumph Thunderbird Storm, Darkside
2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer
1998 Triumph Thunderbird Sport

1 - 12 of 12 Posts