Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have had a problem with your cruise control going out in wet conditions or after washing your bike, please post up here. I am also interested in what fixed your wet cruise control issue.

I washed my XCT under light pressure Friday evening. Saturday morning I rode to my dealer to do an Indian demo ride. My cruise wasn't working. This was the third time it had failed to engage when wet. The two other times were in the rain. At a traffic light my bud pulled up and said it looked like my brake light was on all the time. At the next traffic light he said it was working normally again. At that moment, my cruise control started working correctly again.

I talked to my service manager about it and he said it sounded like a brake switch issue. It makes sense that if the bike thinks the brake is on that the cruise won't engage. The red system on light was on, but it wouldn't let me set.

If this thread is focused and constructive enough, I may use it to help guide my dealer (generally lower volume dealer) through troubleshooting and repair. It may also serve to help others who have this problem in the future.

So again, If you have had the wet cruise control problem, please post of your problem and if you or your dealer came up with a fix, please tell me how it was done. If you haven't had this problem and just want to give me some ideas, I appreciate your willingness to help, but just to keep this thread clean and focused, I'd rather you PM me.

Thanks,
Paul

·
13,003 Posts
If dealer did nothing for you I would find rear switch pull wires one at a time and see if there is water there then clean and add some grease to the terminal. Look for a crack in the switch. Then do the other. You could even go to auto parts store and buy a new one.
If that does not fix it then look at your front break switch.
Do not do both at once cause then you'll never find out witch is the bad one

·
Registered
160 Posts
How was the indian demo days? I almost bought my bike from that dealer but salesman didn't call back with price for 2 days. My bike got rained on pretty good saturday, went to car show down in Franklin and used cruise for first time on way back worked fine.

·
Premium Member
8,796 Posts
If you have had a problem with your cruise control going out in wet conditions or after washing your bike, please post up here. I am also interested in what fixed your wet cruise control issue.

I washed my XCT under light pressure Friday evening. Saturday morning I rode to my dealer to do an Indian demo ride. My cruise wasn't working. This was the third time it had failed to engage when wet. The two other times were in the rain. At a traffic light my bud pulled up and said it looked like my brake light was on all the time. At the next traffic light he said it was working normally again. At that moment, my cruise control started working correctly again.

I talked to my service manager about it and he said it sounded like a brake switch issue. It makes sense that if the bike thinks the brake is on that the cruise won't engage. The red system on light was on, but it wouldn't let me set.

If this thread is focused and constructive enough, I may use it to help guide my dealer (generally lower volume dealer) through troubleshooting and repair. It may also serve to help others who have this problem in the future.

So again, If you have had the wet cruise control problem, please post of your problem and if you or your dealer came up with a fix, please tell me how it was done. If you haven't had this problem and just want to give me some ideas, I appreciate your willingness to help, but just to keep this thread clean and focused, I'd rather you PM me.

Thanks,i
Paul

I use di-electric grease inside any connection thats suspect or handy to be done, did the connections under the front that cop all the water and crap off the front wheel, wiring connections shoulve been better waterproofed from the factory I reckon....
Same fix on my temp sender clip fixed red eng light.
Im not in the habit of hosing sensitive areas either,

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the same issue one a 500 mile trip after riding in heavy rain for 30 minutes. Very annoying and disappointing to have this issue on a otherwise perfect machine. I did the same thing as the motorbikerx and have not had an issue since.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have had this problem after riding in the rain. Drys out in a few days and all is well. The last time it happened I put a dab of silicone where the wires enter the control cruise module in the back. I rode in a very hard rain after that and no problems since. Go figure, cheap plastic control housing.thumb up

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had this problem after riding in the rain. Drys out in a few days and all is well. The last time it happened I put a dab of silicone where the wires enter the control cruise module in the back. I rode in a very hard rain after that and no problems since. Go figure, cheap plastic control housing.thumb up

Is there any way you could post a picture of what you are talking about?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had same problem on my CCT. There is a throttle cruise switch just under the fuel tank toward the front, along the frame right hand side. Dealer thought water inside of switch and dried it out and put a sealer to keep water out. Two weeks later no cruise. I pulled the wires off the switch, cleaned and applied a generous application of die-electric grease, to switch terminals and wires connectors, and no more problem. A quick way to check if it is this is remove one of the wires take a ride and see if the cruise will now set. If it will it is either the switch or connections. Just remember with the wire disconnected the cruise will not shut off when you roll out of the throttle, this is the throttle disconnect for the cruise! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Haven't had problem with cruise, but my turn signals quit when riding (getting caught) in medium to heavy rains. Happened to me twice. Dealer replaced turn signal housing on left handlebar, don't know if he did any other precautions against wet weather, but haven't had a problem since, but I also haven't encountered any heavy rains since the repair, which was last September, early fall.

·
Premium Member
8,796 Posts
Haven't had problem with cruise, but my turn signals quit when riding (getting caught) in medium to heavy rains. Happened to me twice. Dealer replaced turn signal housing on left handlebar, don't know if he did any other precautions against wet weather, but haven't had a problem since, but I also haven't encountered any heavy rains since the repair, which was last September, early fall.
di-electric grease will be your friend if you're an all weather Victory rider, or even wash your bike:)

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I also lose cruise for a few days after riding in the rain, plan on putting dielectric grease in the switch housing. It is just a shame that a bike that costs as much as these bikes cost can't put in better weather proof controls

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also lose cruise for a few days after riding in the rain, plan on putting dielectric grease in the switch housing. It is just a shame that a bike that costs as much as these bikes cost can't put in better weather proof controls

The shame is that Victory knows this problem exists and there is no service bulletin on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We fought this problem along time ago in the automotive world and see connection issues. One of the issues is oxidation at the terminals, they will look ok but are not making a good connection for electric flow. I just repaired inlaws tractor that was having connection issue due to the oxidation on the terminals. So, it is not limited to Victory/motorcycles. I do agree Victory/Polaris should be able to figure this out!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
The shame is that Victory knows this problem exists and there is no service bulletin on it.
Not knocking you -- just curious: what makes you say that Vic knows about it? You think they read these forums, for instance, or are you assuming that dealers pass on to the mother ship the complaints that owners tell them about?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not knocking you -- just curious: what makes you say that Vic knows about it? You think they read these forums, for instance, or are you assuming that dealers pass on to the mother ship the complaints that owners tell them about?
Good point. Victory could well have their corporate head buried in the sand.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Victory should know about a lot of things. IF the dealers are actually communicating with them and not just winging it. I do wonder how often this happens.
There seems to be a lot of arrogance with the ones I have had the misfortune of dealing with. (very limited BTW) Calling and talking to Vic is also a lesson in futility.

·
Registered
539 Posts
It's a safety feature, your not supposed to use cruise in the rain. :cool:

Haven't had the issue on my Vision, but I don't ride in rain very often. I think since October I have only ridden once in rain. I also clean my bike using waterless wash, so no chance to wet it there either.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yep. Washed my hard-ball yesterday evening. Rode to Helen today for a little recon of the town before the rally. No cruise set. Light comes on.

Do you guys mean the actual switch housing on the handlebars? If so I see a few screws.. Does it come apart easily? Also on dielectric grease do you just slather liberally? Got some in the toolbox.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 43 Posts