Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't you hate when you plan to do a simple job and it turns into a major pain in the ass??? :mad:
My left Kuryakyn ISO grip broke, the metal frame portion snapped 3/4 of the way down, it was hanging on by the rubber portion which was wobbly and annoying.
I purchased a set of Avon Contour Tour grips and set out to change them this morning before work...right. Somehow the rubber of the left ISO grip vulcanized to the metal, it took channel locks and some muscle to finally remove the grip....then I had to get to the lovely job of cleaning the bar which took 30mins with a heat gun, a scrapper and sandpaper... Installing the left Avon was uneventful. On to the throttle grip...I disassembled the housing and the ISO grip came out easily, I test fit the Avon which looked good, clearance and movement wise and even fit my 1/4 turn ring. Everything went back together nicely....Then it happened. the throttle would not spring back to closed, no matter how I adjusted the fine tuners on the housing(these are all I loosened up to install the new grip). After a few attempts I was out of time and had to leave the job until I got home. I thought somehow I had to mess with the gross adjustments by the throttle bodies. I got home from work and pulled everything to slide the tank back to get at the adjusters....adjusting these didn't help..WTF?? I disassembled the housing removed the Lloydz 1/4 turn ring put everything back together but the throttle would still not snap back to closed. At this point I was over an hour into this part and knew something had to be binding. So I took the throttle assembly apart again and went over everything, I really couldn't find anything wrong. I was about to give up when I gave it one more go by holding the assemble together with one hand, twisting the grip with the other while looking under the cap....That's when I saw the return cable jump the tract as soon as there was any movement...I put some extra tension on it while putting everything back together this time and presto!!! I had normal throttle movement. I was able to set the proper adjustment and it worked fine... That was 2 hours of BS tonight by the time I got the job wrapped up, plus an hour and 15" in the morning...3+ hours to change grips, I feel like a moron :confused: but at least I'm not defeated LOL

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
About 95% of my projects end up taking me twice the time and three times the frustration than I had planned on!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan on every one-beer job being at least a 6-pack.. and purchase accordingly. :)
ya know...I never planned beer into this job. :eek

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
One project always begets another.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a look at the first half of this PITA job :frown

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that was PaiNfull to watch. At least the new ones use setscrews.
Yes, the next grip change will be a snap....even the throttle side has set screws. So if I ever want to replace this set, I just loosen the screws, slide the old set off, the new set on and re-set the screws thumb up

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have always used my air compressor and a small tipped blower to remove glued grips. had to remove the left control housing to blast air between the rubber and the bar. Broke the glue bond and worked it off. Took just a few minutes to get it off the bars. Might be worth a try if you ever have to do it again. I also installed Avon grips. They fit my hands much better than the Iso.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If I remember you have 1/4 turn ring .. direct swap onto the Avons?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If I remember you have 1/4 turn ring .. direct swap onto the Avons?
Yes, the 1/4 turn ring I had fit right on to the Avon.

I had a chance to take a few short rides with the Avons and I like the feel of them very much. Once I got used to the thinner diameter I settled right in with the new grips thumb up

1 - 11 of 11 Posts