Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I was at a biker event on my CCT. This was the first time a brother from another motorcycle ministry saw my bike without the trunk installed. He and his wife both rode Victory's for many years. Sadly, they both traded them in shortly after the January announcement from Polaris Industries. Yes, that's right, they're both now on Harley's. I don't fault them a bit.

Anyway, he asked if I had the Victory Lock & Ride backrest to which I said no. He said "I have one, with the luggage rack in chrome. You can have it all for $50.00." I said you could sell it for decent money on eBay or on the Victory forums. He said he'd rather I have it. I saw him tonight at another event we both go to on the 3rd Sunday of each month. He brought it with him figuring he'd see me their. Oh yea, I gave him much more than his asking price. It was raining pretty hard and we were both in cars instead of on the bikes. I installed it when I got home and cleaned off the dust from sitting on a shelf in his garage. It looks brand new! It's the original 2 screw unit that was recalled but I don't really care at this point. It's unlikely Polaris would exchange it for the new style at this point anyway. But I'm thrilled to now have a Lock & Ride passenger backrest with the luggage rack as well as my CCT trunk. I've had my trunk off since I installed the Victory extreme saddlebag audio kit. I love the look but I do miss the storage space when I make a grocery store run.

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
I've had my trunk off since I installed the Victory extreme saddlebag audio kit. I love the look but I do miss the storage space when I make a grocery store run.
Well; they are quick detach just for that reason. :) I haven't had my trunk on the bike in years though.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Nice score...... I often do the same thing as him. If someone I know or kind of know, even fellow forum members can use something that I no longer have a use for then I will gladly sell it at a deep discount to them rather than doing the ebay or highest bidder thing.

I picked up one of the old style back rests myself as soon as I got my bike. Also at a very good price.
I'm not concerned as the issue I have heard was if you had a rack on it and overloaded it. I don't even have the rack on mine so it's all good.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
The two bolt units are perfectly fine , I wouldn't give it a second thought .

I love my Vic , but I would be lying if I said I didn't consider changing brands on more then a few occasions .... I don't blame your friends either .

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Been using the "2 hole" rack since I got my Vic, its carried much luggage for many thousands of miles without a problem and its still going strong.

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
Nice score...... I often do the same thing as him. If someone I know or kind of know, even fellow forum members can use something that I no longer have a use for then I will gladly sell it at a deep discount to them rather than doing the ebay or highest bidder thing.
Random acts of kindness or just doing someone a solid is great for the soul and the karma bank. :)

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This story may have taken another good turn. I called my local Victory dealer yesterday to inquire if Polaris was still exchanging the original recalled 2-bolt units for the new 3-bolt ones. After a few minutes on hold they come back to say that Polaris has "plenty of the luggage rack's available but the backrest was on back order till Feb 2018." This is for the chrome pieces, I didn't ask about the black ones. They ran my VIN so as has been posted, that's how it seems Polaris keeps track of these. One per VIN and so forth.

Feb 2018 is a long way off for Polaris so I'll believe I'll get a new set if/when they get here. Polaris is still Showing "Temporarily Out Of Stock" on the Victory website on items they're not bringing back. So it's anyone's guess what they'll end up doing. If I get a new set, great. If not, I'll just enjoy the set I have. If I have to exchange it I will. If I can somehow keep the original set and get a new set, I'll pass along the 2-bolt set to someone else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts