Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2006 Vegas with just a tool roll and a tail bag, so I have very limited space so I was wondering what are the things you always carry to help you out in a pinch? And of course i don't want to overpack. I still need room the occasional purchase.

Leatherman or other specific tools?
Hand wipes or hand towels?
Tie wraps, black tape?
rain jacket?
sunscreen?

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
All of the above plus tire kit, compressor, air gauge, first aid kit, water, camera, bungees, microfiber cloths, spare key, and no debt.

·
13,247 Posts
Every time you put a wrench to the bike when your in the garage think do you need it in the bag.
Medium size crescent wrench. That should cover all the bolts. Any thing bigger you can't fix on side of road. Zip ties small amount of electric tape. Few allen wrench if you can find multi head screw driver.
Right now put a locker washer on each battery bolt so they don't come loose on you.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I'm trying to think of what I ALWAYS have on the bike. Really, all I carry is the OE toolkit.

On day trips I'll bring warmer gear (liners for chaps and jackets, warm gloves, something to cover my face). On multi-day trips I ALWAYS have cold weather gear, rain gear, a small compressor, a tire plug kit, and a paper map. And water and snacks, but I ride a bagger and have some pretty good-sized luggage to hang on the bike too,

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Tools, tire plug kit ,compressor first aid stuff,,, about 10 pounds worth..:)

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
When I ride the bike with just a small tool roll....
Baby wipes, sunblock, Advil, rags.

When the bags are on the bike....
Tools, flat shield, rain suit, extra gloves, extra glasses, and what is listed above.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Chapstick

cap (if you are short on hair you don't have to ask about this one)

helmet liner (only way I don't loose it)

Rag or two

·
Registered
108 Posts
I keep extra sunglasses, tool kit, rain gear, sweatshirt, and a set of motorcycle jumper cables in my saddlebags.

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Vic Riders,
We are going on a few thousand Km trip to a Bikers week in Indonesia Sumatra..... a lot of bikes (HD mainly) but we ride the LONG WAY ROUND and the trip will take about 10 days, and a few mountains....

We will ride with 5 bikes, away from the pack.
Jackpot 2013
Vision 2013
Vision 2014
Hardball 2013
BMW 1200 also 2013

See below YOUR ideas of tools.... anything to add ???

Leather-man
Tie wraps
rain jacket
sunscreen
tire kit
compressor
air gauge
first aid kit
spare key thumb up
Medium size crescent wrench
small amount of electric tape
multi head screw driver
Baby wipes, sunblock, Advil, ( what is ADVIL, paracetamol maybe cheers )
rags & chrome polish :p
extra gloves
extra glasses :cool:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sunscreen, sunglasses(lost a pair passing a truck a few days back), 2-3 extra magazines with ammo, 50ft parachute cord, sharp knife, electrical tape, small tool roll

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Howie G! I dig the the 2-3 extra mags... I want to get a Larosa designs swingarm bag with pistol holder. However up hear in the Great White North if the cops busted me would have me in the clink so fast my head would spin.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Just a few things that I've added as I need them. Going through the bag I find

- Rain gear. The last time I needed it I found out the second last time it got wet a couple years earlier it must have shrunk 3 sizes. It wouldn't fit so I had to get some new stuff.
- 2 mid-sized crescent wrenches. Some things like mirrors coming loose, clutch adjustments, etc have a locking nut or post that needs to be clamped and one just won't do.
- four feet of vinyl tubing. Been used only twice in about 20 years. Once came across a stranded rider on the side of the road and stopped to help. His "I've phoned for help so piss off" HD attitude changed when I offered to siphon some fuel. I wouldn't have left him there but I was sure tempted.
- My eyeglasses. I usually ride with prescription sunglasses and could manage without but they are a light and easy throw-in. Just in case. By the way, if you've never worn the orange sunglasses for driving do yourself a favour and try them. I've been using them since the 70's and would never go back to the darker colours.
- Registration and insurance documents.
- A couple of rags.
- A 4 inch square piece of 1/8 inch aluminum checker plate. Cheap and light and I've used it many times under the kickstand on hot soft asphalt, gravel or dirt. If you're making one, do some extras and make a few friends as well.
- Blade and Philips screw driver
- Electrical tape
- Needle nose pliers. Mine are vice-grip needle nose but any will do.
- Two or three of every fuse. Doesn't take up much room but you can be stopped without one. Never needed one yet though.
- Heavier set of gloves. It gets chilly after dark in the mountains.
- Mastercard for the bigger problems. On the road is no place to get into major repairs. Again though, 99% of my trips are within half a day of home.

Possibly something to consider is I ride quite often but I rarely know where I'm going when get on the bike. I just wander the side roads. My wife has been after me to take her cellphone but I guess it's another thing I'm going to have to learn the hard way.

Not something I carry but at least a few times a month I do a quick check-over after I get home and the bike has cooled down. Tires, belt, headlight, signal lights, cooling fins, any necessary cleaning, etc. I also fuel up at the end of the ride. I don't want to wait and possibly find an item than needs attention before I can go out the next time.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Move to the south Travis, we have total open carry down here. i have a buddy who has a Ruger .44 mag hanging on the seat of his big dog.

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
- four feet of vinyl tubing. Been used only twice in about 20 years. Once came across a stranded rider on the side of the road and stopped to help. His "I've phoned for help so piss off" HD attitude changed when I offered to siphon some fuel. I wouldn't have left him there but I was sure tempted.
- A 4 inch square piece of 1/8 inch aluminum checker plate. Cheap and light and I've used it many times under the kickstand on hot soft asphalt, gravel or dirt. If you're making one, do some extras and make a few friends as well.
- Philips screw driver
- Needle nose pliers.
- Two or three of every fuse. .
I was considering 1 bottle of petrol, NOW your idea is a VINYL TUBING great idea, and the above will also go in the bag.....

PETROL stations are a serious problem in Sumatra .....

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
The 2013 Hardball has inner tires, so did anybody use the "foam inflating" bottles ???

·
Registered
86 Posts
Vic Riders,
We are going on a few thousand Km trip to a Bikers week in Indonesia Sumatra..... a lot of bikes (HD mainly) but we ride the LONG WAY ROUND and the trip will take about 10 days, and a few mountains....

We will ride with 5 bikes, away from the pack.
Jackpot 2013
Vision 2013
Vision 2014
Hardball 2013
BMW 1200 also 2013

See below YOUR ideas of tools.... anything to add ???

Leather-man
Tie wraps
rain jacket
sunscreen
tire kit
compressor
air gauge
first aid kit
spare key thumb up
Medium size crescent wrench
small amount of electric tape
multi head screw driver
Baby wipes, sunblock, Advil, ( what is ADVIL, paracetamol maybe cheers )
rags & chrome polish :p
extra gloves
extra glasses :cool:
FLASHLIGHT!!!! Get at least one of the crank kind so you don't get stuck with bad batteries.
Zip ties
Bailing wire
Allen wrench set
BMW repellent spray

Also, several ways to handle this, but think of what you would do if a clutch cable breaks. Vice-grips can do an emergency job, but there are better options.

That sounds like an awesome, awesome ride!

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
the simple tool roll you just PM'd me about in its first use on my Yam 650, then used for basics ( socks jocks toothbrush n phone charger) coming back from Melbourne (1200 miles) after purchase.
I still travel mimimal a few basic tools, spare neoprene facemask n beanie for a passenger, a garbage bag in case of rain,spare pair of riggers gloves and a tube of sunscreen.
Sidebags usually empty except for a lock cable and a padlock though on a hot day my leather jacket goes in there if I just cruising in a vest, and a bottle of water to drink. maybe a quilted flanellette shirt, thicker gloves, and thermal longjohns in case it gets cool at night.
I travel fairly light , always have, but these adapted throwovers (with Easybrackets) sure come in handy for a bit of shopping when I'm out.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts