Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be taking my first road trip on my bike soon and I was wondering what must haves you guys take with you. Specifically things for the bike. Tools, cables, etc...

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Tire air pressure gauge that I always use.
Tire repair kit (plug)
metric tools (sockets and wrenches) of most used sizes
pliers
couple screwdrivers (phillips and flat)
crescent wrench (make sure it's a metric one ;) )
nylon zip ties
bungee cords
metric ball-end allen key set
first aid kit

3 days clothes change (count includes what I'm wearing)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm a maintenance freak & usually spend quite a bit of time going over the bike before shoving off-haven't had any show stoppers other than flat tires and that only stopped me for 10-15 minutes before I was rolling again. I went 20+ years with no flats and then had two last touring season and after the second one I added a Slime compressor into the kit-cans of Fix-a-Flat and CO2 cylinders will only get so much air in a tire-it's nice to have just in case.
I have spare fuses duct taped to the inside of covers, a couple of cable stops that I've drilled out and beveled the hole for easing a frayed cable into if needed. A small 1st aid kit with an eye cup & eye wash.
A good multi-tool (mine's a SOG) & a roll of electrical tape has helped me & a lot of folks on the side of the road get goin' again.
I used to carry a whole mechanics bag with little jumper cables I made, 4-5 feet of clear plastic tubing for siphoning gas, tire irons & patch kit, spare bulbs, master links & chain tool, spare spark plugs, a lighter with solder wrapped around it for fixing wires-and that was for just around town! Those were different bikes and the with the Vics you don't need much.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
This is not a must have...but it is a MUST on a road trip (if you do long trips)...

Don't drink COKES on the road. Drink electrolyte replacement drinks. It makes a HUGE difference and on extreme days...can save your life.

I found out the hard way to save my diet cokes for when I ain't riding.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
All the above plus a small can of cable lube or equivalent for not just cables but shift linkage especially if you have the WD bushings in there. A good small led light. Small can of Plexus windshield cleaner. A cigar cutter and lighter.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
A paper map of the area you are traveling in.
Water - at least 2 quarts
Don't put all your money and credit cards in one place
Stash an extra bike key somewhere
Make sure you tell someone your plans
A back-up plan for the "what if"
A 15 ft piece a strong cord (tow rope or just to secure something)
Don't use bungees to secure the external load on the bike
A pair or 2 of thin rubber gloves (in case of major rain you can put them inside your riding gloves)
A document with all credit card telephone numbers and account number (in case they are stolen, lost or put on hold)

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Carry phone and wallet in jacket pockets, as far from each other as possible. Cell phone can kill magnetic strips on credit cards. Don't place hotel key card near your either. That way, you'll have them with you when you leave the bike. Plus you won't have your wallet in your back pocket which is bad for the pelvis.
Lemon Pledge has wax in it and is for furniture, Plexus has plastic polish in it and is for windshields and it works great. Repels water too. Sorry SilvrT.
Dynaplug tire repair kit does the job without much loss of air.
Some kind of folder or wallet for receipts.
Rain gear. Mine's made in Russia by a fellow named Rudolph. Rudolph the Red knows rain gear. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
8,971 Posts
Eye drops and Chapstick. If you carry a smartphone, get an app with radar to keep a close check on the weather.
just downloaded the weather app...thx

·
Registered
418 Posts
A lot of really good advice here. The eye drops, Chapstick and suntan lotion will save your ride as much as water will.
Stop and stretch, take breaks you will be amazed at what a little stretch will do to keep you on the road.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
+ Almost forgot to mention about coffee. If you need your am kickstarter, fine, but two cups (not mugs) max and no more the rest of the day. Its a big time diuretic and dehydrator.
+ Also carry gear for any weather so that your skin is always covered. Exposed skin leads to dehydration, sunburn and skin cancer. In hot weather, a mesh jacket and a cool vest will have you much more comfortable (and safer) that bare skin. I also wear Cycle Gear Heat-Out underliners--they work great to keep you cool.
+ I place a camel back bladder, wrapped in a towel for insulation, in my magnetic tank bag. The hose end is clipped to the bag where I can easily reach it and hydrate enroute.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Stop and stretch, take breaks you will be amazed at what a little stretch will do to keep you on the road.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
If I / We have time we will stop at museum's for a pee break. Learning something about the area you are in and relief make the day better.

I rarely travel with lodging or camping reservation (except if I want to stay in a NP) . Reservations can lock you into a plan. The plan might be too far for that day, which creates stress to get to the final stop. Stress is not supposed to be present during a vacation.
Starting early in the day and stopping before 5 PM will make it easier to make some miles and also find a room or campsite before they are all taken.

Be careful and don't do stupid stuff. You might be 1000's of miles from home and your friend's might not be around to help bail you out.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Longer trips -
I take basic tools, tire repair equipment, spare glasses, GPS, Stop Tracker, EZPass, rain gear and a first aid kit. On some of the trips I also carry extra gasoline.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I bring a lot of stuff already mentioned, but I'll reinforce what's been said by being redundant :D

-Spare key(s)
-Tire plug kit
-Tire inflator (I have a pigtail attached to the battery on each
bike...also works for battery tenders in the winter thumb up )
-Cold weather gear (thermals, sweatshirts, insulated gloves, balaclava, all applicable jacket/chaps liners, etc)
-Rain gear
-Snacks! (usually something easy and filling like granola bars, and it keeps you from spending stupid money at gas stations on overpriced junk)
-Water! (Arrowhead sells a 3-liter jug that's just right. We refill it each night on our trips. Saves money, too, and curtails soda drinking)
-Phone charger (I also keep my phone off when riding, save the battery just in case)
-MP3 player and good headphones
-Earplugs for when the tinnitus aggravated by wind noise and the MP3 player sets in.
-Hardcopy map (I like the laminated foldables you can buy)
-Lens cleaner and cloths (for glasses, shades, goggles, visors, and cameras!)
-CASH! I don't like using cards for small purchases or in places that sorta skeev me out (skeeviness is relative, use your judgment). The amount should be determined by your comfort level, but I usually bring a couple hundred bucks and will replenish as needed. I split it between me and the wife. I keep my wallet chained to my ass like a true biker pinhead as well, but only because I tend to set the them down in very stupid places when they're not chained to my ass.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Well it appears everybody's must haves are quite similar... So I might as well put in my $.02.

Road trip must haves!

No Agenda just the wind in my face and a general destination.

A cold beer every hour on the hour

Good music while riding and when stopped drinking my cold beer

2 pairs of jeans,2 hoodies, leather vest, leather jacket, leather chaps + rain gear ( buy t shirts as you go cause never know what kinda cool **** you might find)

A hot big titted broad on the back ( my wife) or as many of your riding buddies as you can get together.

Must enter at least one strip club on every trip ( the seeder the better)

Top of the line leather man multi tool, my buck knife, small crescent wrench, pliers, small spool of wire.

A pocket full of cash to do dumb **** with, bail your buds out, or buy my hot big titted broad something.

One great story to come home with that makes you smile every time you think of that trip.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Pretty much the same stuff as Luciferiad with the addition of butt powder, sunscreen, or hand warmer packets depending on the weather.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Something I was told many years ago.
Get up, get on the bike and ride 100 miles before breakfast. You won't get tied up first thing in the morning. Sets the tone for the day.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts