Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 8837 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Finally pulled off the factory windshield and installed the touring saddle last night. Also figured out why the aux lights weren't working (switch was unplugged :rolleyes:) and fixed that. Still need to adjust the clutch and throttle and if I have time to do it I will be picking up an oil filter, changing the oil, and flushing the brakes. Kinda basic new-used bike maintenance for me. Should be decent weather around here this weekend so me and the mrs are hoping to get out and put some decent (read: not commuting) miles on the new toy.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Finally pulled off the factory windshield and installed the touring saddle last night. Also figured out why the aux lights weren't working (switch was unplugged :rolleyes:) and fixed that. Still need to adjust the clutch and throttle and if I have time to do it I will be picking up an oil filter, changing the oil, and flushing the brakes. Kinda basic new-used bike maintenance for me. Should be decent weather around here this weekend so me and the mrs are hoping to get out and put some decent (read: not commuting) miles on the new toy.
I have not flushed the brakes on a Vic before...may have to consider that - I have a 2010 with 45,000 miles

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
I have not flushed the brakes on a Vic before...may have to consider that - I have a 2010 with 45,000 miles
By now, your brake fluid is half water. Better do that fluid change pronto. :mad:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Damn, I guess that my 2007 Suzuki brake fluid is all water. Guess I'll have to tell it that (because it still stops as well as when it was new)
Sarcasm aside, bikes tend to kill brake fluid much faster than cars. I don't know if it's poor sealing in the reservoir or at the caliper but the fluid definitely gets contaminated much faster. Ymmv but at 45k I'd be changing it for sure just for peace of mind. Hell, mine only has 2k on it but I'm changing all the fluids just so I know where to start my maintenance intervals.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Installed right side Rusty Jones cheese wedge, Ill do the left tonight as the key location pig tail is shown to be delivered.

Don't know if I like the new wedges yet, I picked them up used for a fair price. Great quality, might be a little blingy for me, might change the SS screen to black..

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
4 hours of rain riding. Sometimes you just have to get out!

Ride safe.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Sarcasm aside, bikes tend to kill brake fluid much faster than cars. I don't know if it's poor sealing in the reservoir or at the caliper but the fluid definitely gets contaminated much faster. Ymmv but at 45k I'd be changing it for sure just for peace of mind. Hell, mine only has 2k on it but I'm changing all the fluids just so I know where to start my maintenance intervals.
+1 big time Soofle. First time I bled the brakes was 2-1/2 years into ownership and about 11K miles. Virtually no rain riding. The fluid in the fronts was a bit darker than new, which indicated water absorption, but the fluid coming out of the rear caliper was thick and like coffee with cream....ugh!
Not changing brake fluid on a bike bi-annually is borrowing trouble. If you are in a situation where heavy use of the brakes is in order, that old fluid will have a very low boiling point and you will lose your braking energy. Not worth it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
oil change and spoiler screen

had the witchdoctor paint my center spoiler screen nuclear sunset orange to match my bike and just did my first oil change with my k&p engineering filter and the new GOLDEN SPECTRO 20w40 semi syn. for victory's. very happy :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Had an OEM Dunlop with Dynbeeds put on the front. It's amazing too! With 2000 miles on the rear and a brand new front, the bike handles like its on rails! I can't imagine what it would be like if I installed superior tires. (That's sarcasm if anyone is unsure). I don't care what tires or oil folks use.:ltr:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks Ritz and soofle - I like to be on the safe side when maintaining my machines - esp the brakes! - I am going on a weekend ride with my wife. next week I will change it out - I may add the TCB system at the same time - I have been planning on installing for a while. Although I must say I've been happy with the vic brakes. I had a few emergency braking events and the bike was great with just a little feathering to keep the rear end from coming forward.
I'm thinking that living in dry CA - very low humidity the fluid is not going to be absorbing as much H2O....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Parked

Had to park my new 2014 xct per dealer alert regarding possible seizure, due to crankshaft problem. Under investigation, no fix yet. No direct alert from Victory, I know they are better than that!

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Donzo...I don't know where in "Norcal" you live, but brake fluid can absorb moisture from the air. If you live in SF or the north coast towns, your fluid is vulnerable. In fact, as soon as you open a container of brake fluid, it starts sucking up moisture from the air.
If you still have the OEM pads, and you switch to EBC HH pads, you will be eating your words. Vic pads have been described as "wooden" and I think that's a perfect term for them compared to the HH pads.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Had to park my new 2014 xct per dealer alert regarding possible seizure, due to crankshaft problem. Under investigation, no fix yet. No direct alert from Victory, I know they are better than that!
Keep us posted. Anyone else:confused: know about this?

·
Registered
263 Posts
True, getting the bags back on was the trickiest part of the whole deal... A little patience though and they went on...

Yep, the backrest came with the extra nut and bolt installed to lock the lever. I'm undecided on whether it will stay on all the time or be used only when I plan to have a passenger. Finding somewhere to keep the thing while not on the bike may be problematic as it's not exactly small...
mickey, making a wall mount to hold your equipment, ie:rider backrest, tourpak (trunk), passenger backrest , etc. isnt that hard to do. i actually had one that i bought for my harley accsessories made by jacksbaddassracks.com but have seen many homemade versions out there. google "wall mounted tourpak rack" and see what pops up.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Donzo...I don't know where in "Norcal" you live, but brake fluid can absorb moisture from the air. If you live in SF or the north coast towns, your fluid is vulnerable. In fact, as soon as you open a container of brake fluid, it starts sucking up moisture from the air.
If you still have the OEM pads, and you switch to EBC HH pads, you will be eating your words. Vic pads have been described as "wooden" and I think that's a perfect term for them compared to the HH pads.

Hey Ritz - I live in the foothills of the Sierra half way between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe - pretty dry. But I have heard to buy small bottles of Dot 4 because of possible water contamination - I'm gonna play it safe.

Can you explain better (eating my words) concerning oem brake pads and others? I still have my stock pads....are you saying the EBC HH pads are better/worse , safer/less safe in an emergency braking situation? I am eager to learn more concerning my favorite ride!

Thanks cheers

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Donzo...Been riding over 62 years and have replaced many OEM pads with so called premium ones with little improvement. When I replaced my Vic's pads with EBC HH (per a personal email from one of the road testers at a motorcycle mag) the improvement was DRAMATIC to say the least. I resisted putting them in the rear cuz I didn't want it to lock up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tri Oval stage 1

Fitted a set of Tri-Ovals and had the dealer do the stage 1 flash of the ECU.

LOVING IT - now the bike sounds like it looks, and they look great, not at all like and 'aftermarket add on' on the Hardball.
:)

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
brake pads

Ritz what is your thoughts on Lyndall Gold pads wac

21 - 40 of 8837 Posts